• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best Turnover FW/Distance disc?

Has anyone used a Prodigy F7, Innova Sidewinder or Axiom Virus? Those seem like they might be really good for what I'm looking for?

I've tried a couple Sidewinders and a Virus. Sidewinder seems like a disc that varies a lot. I'd probably only recommend it if you can buy in person to compare PLH among what is in stock.

The single Virus I owned was ridiculously touchy, perhaps the most touchy of any disc I've thrown. The line between "not flipping all the way to flat and fading out early" and "turning over all the way and heading 50' too far to the right" is razor thin. Virus is one of my least favorite discs that I have ever wasted money on.

I personally throw the Hatchet in the slot you are describing, and have done so for years. Very consistent mold, but unfortunately with very low stock and tough to find. I would probably go with a Heat if I were to lose my Hatchets and need a replacement.

I prefer seasoned PIAS discs for this vs something new. It's fun buying random beat to hell discs for cheap and getting a unique flight that you will never find with an off the shelf disc.

This is so true for me as well. I would almost be willing to pay more for certain discs that are really beat up so I don't have to do it myself. Used bins really are so much fun to sort through.

Has anyone used a Prodigy F7, Innova Sidewinder or Axiom Virus? Those seem like they might be really good for what I'm looking for?

Axiom Virus is definitely a flippyyyyy disc. A better bet, and my first suggestion, would be an Axiom Insanity. Staple in my bag for years now. Turns easily enough, but super controllable. Ive never really turned and burned it.

Axiom Virus is definitely a flippyyyyy disc. A better bet, and my first suggestion, would be an Axiom Insanity. Staple in my bag for years now. Turns easily enough, but super controllable. Ive never really turned and burned it.

I actually have two Insanities. Neither one is flippy or a turnover disc though. Once again, depends on how hard I hit it, the angle of release, etc, but usually my two Insanities have more of a std S flight. The Neutron leaks out right almost right away, and stays there longer, before always turning back left near the end for a nice S flight. The Proton just leaks less right at the start and fades a little more near the end. Both end up pretty much straight, but the Neutron just has larger turns, whereas the Proton is a bit more of a straight line with just a tiny bit of turn and little bit of fade. Can't get either one to hold a turnover type line though.

I feel like that disc throws more like a 8/4.5/-1/1.5 than what it says it is (9/5/-2/1.5). Neither of mine have -2.5 turn. Maybe -1 at most. And they don't have big glide. The Neutron is more like a 4 glide and the Proton is like 4.5. But I'm sure most of that has to do with the fact that I can't throw well or very far. I'm usually only around 300-330 on any given drive on the course. I bet if I could throw 400-450 golf lines, it would fly a lot more like it's numbers say.

Love the disc though! It's my go to in the woods on longer holes. Just aim a tad left of center, give it a good rip on a slight hyzer angle, and a touch lower than normal and it ends up right where I want at the end. Love it! Plus it just feels amazing in my hand. LOVE how flat and thin it is, and when I'm throwing my FH well on certain days, it's money for long S flight FH shots.

Also, I picked up a Prodigy F7 as well. Just to compare to the Heat. So we'll see which one does what I want better and then sell the other one.

Discmania Essence is an 8/6/-2/1 and is to me one of those 'immortal' molds--science will come along later and be able to explain why.

Don't know about the Heat and Maul though.

If that Heat doesn't work out, try and get your hands on an Essence in Neo. Pass on the Geo.

Discmania Essence is an 8/6/-2/1 and is to me one of those 'immortal' molds--science will come along later and be able to explain why.

Don't know about the Heat and Maul though.

If that Heat doesn't work out, try and get your hands on an Essence in Neo. Pass on the Geo.

Hahaha, love it! Just wish mine flew like yours!

I have an Essence (got one right when they came out) and something must be really wrong with it. It's not a flippy disc AT ALL for me. If I could give my specific Essence a rating, I'd say: 8/5/0/2-3. It is REALLY overstable and most of the time always ends up way left.

On a few throws where I really crushed it, it might turn 1-2 ft to the right for a bit, then back to the left and always fades pretty well at the end. My Instinct is way more stable/neutral than my Essence. It's super weird. Makes me wonder if something is wrong with my disc, or for some reason, that disc just doesn't mesh with my throw. When I bought it, I thought it was going to be this magic disc for me. But it's been an absolute bummer.

I already bought the Heat and F7, so I'm not going to buy another Essence at this point. But maybe someday though it'll fly like your mythical version does, haha.

Hahaha, love it! Just wish mine flew like yours!

Oh man. Just goes to show, I guess. Throwing at altitude as I do may warp comparisons, I feel like I need to put something in my sig to that effect.

Then only other one I know to offer is maybe a G* Roadrunner ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -- mad flippy but somehow more intuitive for me to get it out on the right angle.

I lost a beat up Champ Sidewinder that was perfect. Bought a new one and it flew like a Teebird. I have beat it up and beat it up, and it's not quite to where the ESP Heat is right off the shelf. Haven't tried the others.

I saw the most votes for a Heat, so I found a cool looking one that I'm going to try. If that doesn't work I think I'll try a Prodigy F7 next. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know how it works out :thmbup:

Nice. What plastic? Weight? I recommend tomahawking it's straight into the ground as hard as you (safely) can 20 times for ESP. More for Z.

I lost a beat up Champ Sidewinder that was perfect. Bought a new one and it flew like a Teebird. I have beat it up and beat it up, and it's not quite to where the ESP Heat is right off the shelf. Haven't tried the others.

Nice. What plastic? Weight? I recommend tomahawking it's straight into the ground as hard as you (safely) can 20 times for ESP. More for Z.

I grabbed one of those ltd edition ESP Fox stamp run Heats. 172g I think. Wanted 175g, but I don't think 3g will make a huge difference. One of my other favorite throwing discs (my old beloved Royal Rage FD2) is a 172g as well and it's my favorite FW disc. So hopefully this one will become a favorite as well.

Also grabbed a 175g Prodigy F7, as people are saying that late turning turnover shot is easier to pull off with a slower disc, not a faster disc? So I'll give them a whirl and then see which one I want to keep and sell the other one.

I guess my question is how heavy are the insanity's? I've got some 158's and they were much better than 165's

In my bag that's a Relay, Vanish or Roadrunner (G star)

Latest posts