• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Understable Mid Range

I find the ESP meteor is about as stable as a X comet in similar weights but the meteor feels a lot better in my hand and can take some abuse. Plus its less touchy

So my answer is

Discraft Meteor
Discraft Glide
Lat 64 Fuse

Stingray for sure... one of the most underrated discs IMO..

+1! Champion Stingray!

Yes, I can throw nice anyzer shots with a Buzzz or Coyote, but to say thats more consistent than throwing a broken in Stingray flat is wrong in my opinion. I say champion, because my DX Stingray after beating the hell out of it, is very understable now!

I played with someone who is on the amatuer tour, is sponsored by discraft, but still carries two stingrays.

I've had almost every disc mentioned here in my bag at some point, and I must say that the Fuse is my favorite. On a good throw it flies as perfect as any of those others, and on an average to aberrant throw the Fuse is more forgiving. It is also better in the wind than any of those others. It can be used as a touch disc as a soft throw will stay on the angle of release, or a turnover/hyzer flip disc if powered. The turn is slow and methodical and the Fuse is the only disc I've thrown that will flip up and fly straight and then finish slowly to the right (rhbh) when new.

I haven't thrown many of the discs everyone is mentioning...but I just got a Star Mako a few weeks ago and wouldn't part with it. I love that damn disc...I hate yours was ganked...stuff like that really pisses me off. Good luck in making a selection...

My 70 yr old DG buddy uses stingrays...but not new stingrays...That mold has gone through so many changes that the Stingray has lost it's identity imo.

Not sure why anyone hasn't mentioned the meteor. You can throw it flat and let it turn for you.
You can give it air and throw it softer and have it glide on that line for a while

You can crank it on a hyzer, flip up and watch it go forever.

End of thread

I have stolen my wifes star stingray for turnovers...it is sooo perfect.

This thread reminded me that I got a Star Stingray from you (I think) and the talks have once again brought back good memories I have of throwing Stingrays. Going to put it back in the bag to try it, I just have to keep from turning it too hard with some hyzer angles. Of course this means the Cores are out in favor of a Warrior as it compliments better.

And I think Im going to add Discspeed to ignore. Whenever I see his posts I for some reason feel the need to buy new discs. :\

A Buzz is terrible for all but those with strong arms; feels like throwing a garbage can. All other midranges I've tried suck too (Shark, Gator, Spider, Hawk, Comet). None are glidey, and most have too much fade.

The OOP Discraft Storm is best, but there is a midrange from Latitude 64 that looks good to me. Also, I liked a Discraft Z-Glide that I tried.

If you throw a Meteor, you've really got to check the Fuse out. I had the Meteor in my bag pretty much from the point it came out to earlier this year. The Fuse really is a little better in every way. I found the Meteor to be kind of height sensitive...I got a good number of good flights, but also a frustrating number of worm burners when I didn't get it just right. It just seems to lose altitude kind of fast when flying turned over, so it needed more height to be thrown on that type of shot. Otherwise I was trying to predict a hyzer flip anhyzer flight, and the Meteor was not all that predictable at that.

I wonder if all these *END OF THREAD* people have actually given all of these discs a shot. It seems like a silly statement if not...

I'm of the opinion that the best understable mid is a beat-in slightly overstable mid. Many people use Rocs for this. Base plastic is usually best. I've got a Gateway S Warrior that is beautiful in flight. It'll turn and hold around some of the coolest bends, but it's still very controllable.

There are a lot of good understable mids out now. The 'best' really comes down to how YOU throw and what feels good to YOU. It's kinda like asking someone else what shoes fit you.

So try a few.
I'd recommend trying:
Comet
Fuse
Meteor
Flying Squirrel

Last edited:
I agree with Discspeed...

Z Comet never clicked for me, so I used a Meteor for a bit. Then I found the X Comet, which is fantastic but beats in a little too fast for me. Then an Opto Fuse. That disc is nice. Resembles a Comet but in nice plastic.

So I guess I'd say buy a stack of X Comets or get a Fuse.

Ching precision is a fun one if you like being different, as is Quest-ATs Rock-it, though it is a short mid/long putter like a classic roc.

just get a buzzz and learn it...it's good for straight, hyzer, or anhyzer shots. you can't go wrong with a disc that does everything

It all depends on how I'm throwing the anny line; i.e. Releasing with anhyzer, throwing flat and allowing the disc to work naturally, or hyzer flips.

For forced anhyzers, where I release it on an anny line, I use a Cryztal Buzzz.

If I want to release it flat and let the disc do its thing I use a Meteor.

If I'm releasing on a spike angle and want it to hyzer flip I use a Breeze.

Not all any shots are the same so you may use a different disc depending on the type result or room you have to work with; there isn't one good answer.

However for general anhyzers where you let the disc work for you I would go with the Meteor. I've tried almost every mid out there and out of the box the meteor seems to work the best for me. Remember what works for one person may not work for another, try some of the suggested discs and go with what works best for you.