• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best way to get a disc out of a tree

images

...just kidding :D

Tackleberry? Is that you?

Nope. Just someone who thought it would be a good idea. It was the first time I used it and I really didn't need to pull back that far. Hit the disc right by the rim and that disc did a lot of somersaults. Pretty cool to watch. Luckily it wasn't someone's disc from my group and it wasn't inked. Hanging on the wall now. DX wraith.

A friend of mine carries a Fat Max measuring tape. They are super sturdy and can maneuver through branches pretty well. I think he has a 25 footer but I think they make them longer.

I carried a baseball…

…until it got stuck in a tree. Now I use the hockey puck like I mentioned above. :)

You can always use a baseball.. Drill the center and tie a rope through it for those high spots. I'm pretty sure you could shake some branches that way!

A friend of mine carries a Fat Max measuring tape. They are super sturdy and can maneuver through branches pretty well. I think he has a 25 footer but I think they make them longer.

I have a friend that does this too... o hi buddy!

For the record I think it's a 30 footer, and it saved one of my discs yesterday.

Lacrosse/baseball is good. DON'T use your powerade! If it lands on the cap, you're SOL. Use a nalgene instead!

Usually I just don't throw at the tree. But if I'm in some sort of odd ball mood and I get a disc stuck in a tree I go and get my cherry picker from the parking lot. Works like a charm.

One of the nice things about golf balls is that they're cheap and disposable; all of the ones in my bag have been found for free over the years. While I like the idea of a baseball due to its increased likelihood of hitting and dislodging the Disc per attempt, you would have to keep chasing it down if you missed. With a dozen golf balls, you stand and fire away rapidly, and who cares if you can't find a couple of them afterward? This scenario might happen to me once every two or three years, to be honest, and by the time it happens again, I've incidentally found enough golf balls walking about my life to replenish the supply in my bag. Cost = $0, space/weight in bag = minimal, effort = minimal.

(And yes, I capitalize "Disc" but not "golf ball" on purpose.)

Last edited:
Send my brother into the tree after it. He is quite the climber, and seems to enjoy it.

I understand there is a version of Disc Golf you can play with these balls. You have to hit them with a stick, and count your "hits" like you're supposed to count throws. Very, very expensive and full of overly well-dressed people. Sounds kooky if you ask me...

Nice!

I typically just throw my water bottle. If you bottle is empty, fill it at a local water source. You can urinate in the bottle too, but cross your fingers the lid don't come off. (I wouldn't recommend using that bottle again for anything, but at least pick up your litter.) ;)