• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Wind Putter

What is the best overstable wind putter?

• challenger

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • big bead aviar

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • rhyno

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • wizard

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • ion

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • other

Votes: 43 33.6%

• Total voters
BTW...the characteristics that make a putter great in the wind make it kind of suck in normal conditions. Too much speed and a lack of glide make you putt either hard or with a dropping hyzer and low spin. That's why I putt with the Ion. It is quite wind resistant and holds its line decently. I still have to anticipate the effect the wind has, but it does not make it difficult. All that and it really glides in still conditions.

BTW...the characteristics that make a putter great in the wind make it kind of suck in normal conditions. Too much speed and a lack of glide make you putt either hard or with a dropping hyzer and low spin. That's why I putt with the Ion. It is quite wind resistant and holds its line decently. I still have to anticipate the effect the wind has, but it does not make it difficult. All that and it really glides in still conditions.
I'll have to give the Ion a try. I have two but have yet to throw them. Stupid real job.

Dare I say the WIZARD. BEst into the wind putter around, and frankly one of the most wonderful discs ever. Discgolfer magazine recognizes it as a gamechanger. Plus once disc golf crosses over you know what Harry Potter's carrying in his putter pocket. I could take that further, but for all of our sakes I won't.

You can't go wrong with the wizard.

i think you should go get yourself a voodoo 175 grams ev gummie its a 5 speed slightly overstable good for short drives and just a all around great putter in windy conditions it works great but you should stick with one putter or it we throw your game off

Dare I say the WIZARD. BEst into the wind putter around, and frankly one of the most wonderful discs ever. Discgolfer magazine recognizes it as a gamechanger. Plus once disc golf crosses over you know what Harry Potter's carrying in his putter pocket. I could take that further, but for all of our sakes I won't.

You can't go wrong with the wizard.

Timko from DGR wrote that article in Discgolfer...I wrote the part about the Buzzz.

Wrong, over stable putters are always great! Wind or not!

Wrong, over stable putters are always great! Wind or not!

I wouldn't use an overstable driver to try and throw all kinds of drives with, and I also wouldn't try and use an overstable putter to make all my different putts with. Its really all about your style. I putt flat and straight/direct with a moderate amount of spin. If I use an overstable putter I have to throw it much harder than I want (hard putts = long comebacks, loss of touch, bad action off/through the chains), throw higher than I want (lack of glide = fast drop rate), and I have to play the fade (aim right to fall left). Like all my other disc choices, I would rather have the versatility of a straight/stable disc rather than an overstable disc whenever possible. I am looking forward to trying a VP to see if it provides some major support in big wind conditions or short FH/BH spike shots, but I can't imagine using a disc like that as my main putter.

I use a Challenger for the versatility it gives me. On normal putts with little to no wind I hyzer putt. I also love it for anhyzer putts around objects. With wind I can't really describe what I do. I just feel the wind and respond. I've always had the opinion that I would rather learn one disc for multiple situations than to have multiple discs, especially in the putter area. That's just how I see it.

I wouldn't use an overstable driver to try and throw all kinds of drives with, and I also wouldn't try and use an overstable putter to make all my different putts with. Its really all about your style. I putt flat and straight/direct with a moderate amount of spin. If I use an overstable putter I have to throw it much harder than I want (hard putts = long comebacks, loss of touch, bad action off/through the chains), throw higher than I want (lack of glide = fast drop rate), and I have to play the fade (aim right to fall left). Like all my other disc choices, I would rather have the versatility of a straight/stable disc rather than an overstable disc whenever possible. I am looking forward to trying a VP to see if it provides some major support in big wind conditions or short FH/BH spike shots, but I can't imagine using a disc like that as my main putter.
I have a different experience with overstable putting. I find that misses tend to fall quicker and don't float off as far.

Do you know how the VP compares to the Ridge?

I have a different experience with overstable putting. I find that misses tend to fall quicker and don't float off as far.

Do you know how the VP compares to the Ridge?

Interesting take discspeed. However I would tend to agree with zenbot about this.

VP is super over stable, you wont flip it no matter what. Ridge is more along the lines of a traditional stable putter. The Summit is under stable.

Interesting take discspeed. However I would tend to agree with zenbot about this.

VP is super over stable, you wont flip it no matter what. Ridge is more along the lines of a traditional stable putter. The Summit is under stable.
How about the Vibram discs in terms of float? I noticed that my Ridges didn't have very much carry. Not a big deal for putting but it was very apparent when driving with them.

Overstable putters are for people who can't throw normal stable putters. I've noticed that people who throw overstable putters tend to throw them as hard as their mids or drivers. They might throw them well but they lack the touch to throw a normal putter cleanly.

Overstable putters are for people who can't throw normal stable putters. I've noticed that people who throw overstable putters tend to throw them as hard as their mids or drivers. They might throw them well but they lack the touch to throw a normal putter cleanly.
Nice generalization.

Thank you. It is true though. If you throw over stable putters like you would throw an aviar or a challenger, you couldn't throw it very well. You have to throw it harder like a mid or a driver. It takes much less finesse and not nearly as smooth of a release to throw a pig, zone or VP compared to a wizard or an aviar.

Latest posts