• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best/Worst smelling holes you've played

The area between the basket on 6 and the long tee on 7 at River Bends has been pretty putrid at times.

The walk from the hole 2 basket to the hole 3 tee pad at Stony green course always has a nice smell in the summer.

The common theme for bad smelling holes seem to be ones next to water treatment plants, like the one next to holes 12/13 at Timber Park in Estacada, OR. We literally played those holes at a trot it was so bad. The wind was just wrong that day.

I can't remember any holes on courses that stood out as smelling good.

Any course where barbeque is being prepared for the lunch break would be a winner in my book.
A course in the vicinity of a paper mill would probably trump the water treatment plant stench.

If you stomp around in the Back Bay mud at Hiller in Biloxi trying to retrieve a disc, it releases methane and other gases from the rotting vegetation underneath. Pretty powerful stuff. The creek at Ann Mo in Boise is similar in effect.

Florida has a few courses that can have the swamp funk going on, Ft Myers Beach and Hammock come to mind. Sometimes when people ask what that smell is I say Florida.

My practice basket in the backyard sits near a grove of honeysuckle and if I am seeing the chains well that day... it is pure heaven.

If you stomp around in the Back Bay mud at Hiller in Biloxi trying to retrieve a disc, it releases methane and other gases from the rotting vegetation underneath. Pretty powerful stuff. The creek at Ann Mo in Boise is similar in effect.

Your right about Hiller, I had forgotten about that. The swampy per of the old Brickyard Bayou course around hole 16 was rough too.

This is pretty easy for me. I can instantly recall the top two WORSTEST smelling *courses*:

Summit Park (aka Scumit) in Summit, IL has a factory of some sort to one side. Periodically, the chemical stench the place releases is basically unbearable. Raw throat, chokey sorta bad. Instantly leave and probably never go back sorta bad. :gross:

The second worst was Wabash City Park (Wabash, IN) in spring. Not sure if this is still the case after it's awesome redesign, but the side of the park abutting the cemetery was nothing but honeysuckle bushes. When in bloom, smells overwhelmingly of semen. :sick: :gross:

This thread is awesome. :thmbup:

Expo Park in Aurora, CO. Course is situated in a park with several large lakes. The lakes have stagnant water that smells. There's also a constant Canadian goose presence, so goose crap is all over the place too.

The lakes eat tons of discs. Discs pulled from the water will smell for like 2 months. The odor permeates the plastic.

Worst: The course in Summit, IL is next to a particularly fragrant body of water. The course is located near an industrial area and not far from the sewage treatment ponds in Hodgkins. Not sure whether the ever present stench is due to one of the factories dumping something the shouldn't or a leak in the sh!t ponds, but I really don't think it's natural. The whole course stinks, but a couple of holes near the end of the front 9 play along the polluted waterway. The stink is definitely stronger over there. I wouldn't go into that water for my favorite disc.

Beat me to it...I even forgot about the "water."

Saw someone throw a disc into it once, well reachable, just look at it and walk on.

Worst = Baca in Albuquerque NM (Across from a recycling dump)

Best = Mill Park Festus MO. Hole 4 in particular. (Someone around there grows poppies. For much of the growing season it smells like opium.)

Best: 4 at Armco Park yesterday. Long tee shot toward water, then a long tunnel shot lined on both sides with honeysuckle. It was was blooming yesterday and smelled amazing.

Worst: Without a doubt, #8 at Fairborn/Handyman. Locals call it "Stink Creek" for a reason. The water there is so slow it's almost stagnant, and smells nasty in the summer.

Dishonorable mention to #1 at Belmont last year, when a groundhog died near the basket and was left there for weeks.

Best...winter honeysuckle...Like disc golfing in a perfume factory.

My practice basket in the backyard sits near a grove of honeysuckle and if I am seeing the chains well that day... it is pure heaven.

Best: 4 at Armco Park yesterday. Long tee shot toward water, then a long tunnel shot lined on both sides with honeysuckle. It was was blooming yesterday and smelled amazing.

The second worst was Wabash City Park (Wabash, IN) in spring. Not sure if this is still the case after it's awesome redesign, but the side of the park abutting the cemetery was nothing but honeysuckle bushes. When in bloom, smells overwhelmingly of semen. :sick: :gross:

Have all those sammiches damaged Juke's sniffer? :p

The Optimist in Ft. Morgan Colorado hands down. It's next to a sugar beet processing plant and it's absolutely otherworldly.

Honestly not just the worst smelling course, but the worst smelling thing I've ever dealt with. I have no idea how people live there.

The Optimist in Ft. Morgan Colorado hands down. It's next to a sugar beet processing plant and it's absolutely otherworldly.

Honestly not just the worst smelling course, but the worst smelling thing I've ever dealt with. I have no idea how people live there.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...-foul-smelling-fort-morgan-plant/73-554453413

Western Sugar fined $2 million for foul-smelling Fort Morgan plant

Residents in July 2017 told 9NEWS the stench coming from the plant smells "like dog poop" and "a dog fart."

Yea, that would get old, real quick.

Ft. Morgan is like Greeley. You just have to know what the place smells like before you go there or attempt to live there.:gross:

Best? Well, as was mentioned early, the eucalyptus trees in Nor Cal smell pretty good on a hot day. Truth!
But my favorite is common to high sierra courses. Rick's revenge in Bear Valley in particular. I believe it's a specific kind of weed (not like that one) that grows all over the higher elevations. I've never narrowed it down, and the smell is not consistant. Every once in a while you get a whiff. Just one more thing to love about the mountains. Wish i could be more useful than that...
Worst smell? I gotta go with Aquatic Park in Berkeley. Normally not so bad. And the breeze off the lagoon keeps it civil. Until a disc hits the lagoon. The mud in there is super sticky, and smells awful. I have respect for the homeless folks that dive for discs in there to sell in the parking lot. The marshy spots of the course smell similar, but only after you go into the mire.
It is a fun course, with plenty of challenge. And numerous down sides.

Latest posts