• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Turnoff?

the only thing that would stop me from playing a course would be if I have to take more time to look for the next hole/my disc than I spend playing. Oh, and If a mountain lion/grizzly bear were attacking me, i'd probably stop then too (the warning signs at Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park).

I've played 103 and have yet to get to a course and not play at all---though a few were in neighborhoods that gave me pause. I have skipped a couple of courses that had such bad directions that I gave up trying to find them.

Now, if you get to the questions of how many courses I didn't finish, due to navigation issues or lame design.....

I hate going to a course to find out that it has not been mowed in weeks. Also, played out at a new course in Missouri called Unger Park and someone had stuck about 25 1 lb fish all around the chains and the top of the basket, needless to say I skipped that putt.

I have had this happen twice, where I went to play a course, and after the second or third hole, the mosquitoes were so bad, I had to leave, or should I say run for my life. I can handle a few of them, but when they start swarming your face, thats it.

Personal safety issues are about it for me.

Navigation issues come into play when I've done my homework and can't find a course map. I'll shy away from even trying that course if there are alternatives that do have maps.

Poison Oak.

The only time I didn't play a new course that I drove to was because of rampant poison oak, on the hole 1's fairway.

Hmm.. I agree about the safety issues.

I would probably add that overcrowded courses are a big turnoff to me. Even if it is a nice course, I don't want to wait 10 minutes at each teepad.... Sometimes it isn't even the golfers... One course around here is on a lake, and in the summer it turns into more of a playground than a disc golf course.

I hate going to a course to find out that it has not been mowed in weeks.
I take it you don't play Creve Coeur very often?

Also, played out at a new course in Missouri called Unger Park and someone had stuck about 25 1 lb fish all around the chains and the top of the basket, needless to say I skipped that putt.
It was probably the meth-head gigolo who followed me around this spring. Was that before or after it flooded?

When I get to # 1's tee and can see three of four baskets and it's not really clear which one I should throw to, it makes me want to leave. Places like Tom Watkins DCG. Basically poor course design. You can tell already that the baskets are too close together and some clown throwing a Boss on a 200' hole is going to whiz one by your head at some point. I've never actually left a course without playing for this reason, but it makes me grumble.

And now, thanks to Tim, I can grumble AND write a scathing review on DGCR. :D Thanks, Tim!

The only thing that really would stop me from playing a course is the people. If the locals on the course are rude it is a huge turn-off. I guess you can't really tell this when you pull up, but I agree with what others have said in that if I have already went through the trouble of going there I am at least going to give it a chance.

1. Tons of annoying rec. players, aka punks, with no etiquette whatsoever (yes Im looking at you Bear Branch).
2. The surroundings, not being in the ghetto.
3. Being able to navigate in somewhat logical fashion, hate hunting for the next teebox.

If I get to the park, can't find the first tee and then realize that I wouldn't be able to find my disc if I threw it...then maybe I wouldn't even play. It would have to be pretty bad.

Actually happened to me today at Simpson Co. Schools in KY.

I was by myself, all alone on the course. No tee signs or pads. Waist high grass in the open holes and dense overgrowth in the woods made it nearly impossible. Read my review if you want.

Maybe if I had a couple of people with me we could have struggled, but man I hate looking and looking and looking for each tee.

1. Tons of annoying rec. players, aka punks, with no etiquette whatsoever (yes Im looking at you Bear Branch).
2. The surroundings, not being in the ghetto.
3. Being able to navigate in somewhat logical fashion, hate hunting for the next teebox.

I agree with you 100%. I love playing Bear Branch, but I can't deal with all the punks and one disc throwers who think they are better than everyone else. The only good time to play that course is before noon.

I'm usually not too picky and will play just about anything but some turn offs include:
1. Swampy/flooded/excessively muddy course- Its just no fun if you're walking through a marsh and have to wipe your disc every time.
2. Too many people- I like to play when the course isn't too crowded. I don't like to feel rushed from people playing behind, and I don't like to wait 5 minutes at each hole.

If I have taken the time to get there then I will try to play. But I have walked off of a couple that were extremely hard to follow. Even with a map.

The other thing is one that is poorly kept up. When there is grass up to your knees or the undergrowth is so thick and plentiful a machete wouldn't cut through it I get disgusted quickly. Because spending a lot of time locating discs is frustrating and costly.

If I drove there, I am going to play usually. The only time I stopped playing was in powder snow and I was tired of looking for my disc that I lost. I think powder snow is the one thing that would turn me off from playing a course before I tee off from hole #1. The one time I played in rain, it was a blast although I almost fell a couple times. Muddy clay is very slippy.

I've played in rain several times. As long as its not like 40 degrees it doesn't bother me, though I definitely notice a difference in my scores.

When there is a huge festival or huge picnics going on and the course is overrun with parking and too many people just everywhere. Happens in multi use parks. Happens at Tinicum Park, PA a few times a year.
When the local fag patrol is out trolling and stalking when I am playing by myself...creepy and makes me feel violated. Don't make eye contact don't look at his bikini bathing suit either just walk away walk away....Oh great he's camping out at the next tee pad....wtf...not again!
I left Landis Park, NJ in a hurry due to gang activity....wasn't worth it to finish the last hole which was a drugstore apparently.

Latest posts