• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Turnoff?

jhgonzo

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
For those of us on DGCR, we have the luxury of being able to evaluate a course before driving out to it to check it out...however, some of us may not always do our homework, or back in the day when we only used the PDGA Course Directory, we'd find something nearby or on a route we would soon be traveling and make a point to stop at some unplayed course.

Have you ever pulled into a course you've never played and immediately decided that you weren't going to play? What factors influence your decision to just move on to your next stop? I know litter can be (and IS) a huge problem at many courses, but that alone has never turned me away...in fact, I still haven't encountered a course that I judged by its looks and immediately decided not to play; I like to give everything a shot, as that ugly duckling may just be a beautiful swan...sorry for the ridiculous analogy there.

Obvious heavy gang activity would be one major deterrent for me. Fortunately, I live in an area where that's not much of a problem ("wannabe" tough guys can suck it!). I guess you could lump that factor in with unfriendly locals, but that's something you couldn't really ascertain until you started playing, and this question pertains to WHAT WOULD PREVENT YOU FROM EVEN STEPPING ONTO THE FIRST TEE. Missing baskets? Definite turnoff.

Even temporary barriers to playing, such as flooded areas (some people I know will play as many holes as they can on such a course, but I like to get a whole round in!), other events at the park spilling over into the DG areas, etc.

When will you absolutely not play a round at a course you've never played (again, DGCR reviews aside)?

The biggest thing that would turn me off to a course is navigation issues. I hate wandering around a course trying to figure out where to go next. That said, there is really nothing that I can think of that would make me turn around and leave once I got to the course.

The first time I wandered over to the Lake Creek Village Apartments course, the closest course to me, I knew it was not going to be an enjoyable time.

I didn't expect much as it is a 9 hole course cramped between a bunch of apartment buildings and a river. The first couple of holes are acceptable but 4 through 9 are just a jumble of baskets strewn accross an open space. This open space also has a very busy walking/biking path, a kids playground (which you throw directly at) and many people's "back yards".

I met a bunch of high schoolers who were "playing" the course and asked them what the layout was. They said that after hole 3 they just sort of make up their own course. Thats how ambiguous the layout is and how close together the baskets are. You can literally stand in any space in that area and make any basket your destination.

So I guess, long story short. I don't like playing wide open spaces where you can see almost every hole on the course. No surprises = no fun!

i always play a course at least once regardless of how bad it is, just to say i have

That's the approach I usually take...obviously someone cared enough about the sport (maybe not necessarily in planning a champion-caliber course) to go to the trouble of raising funds and installing the thing, so why let the way other people treat it affect your decision? I personally haven't turned down a course upon seeing it, but I can say there's a few courses that definitely weren't worth my time...

The biggest thing that would turn me off to a course is navigation issues. I hate wandering around a course trying to figure out where to go next. That said, there is really nothing that I can think of that would make me turn around and leave once I got to the course.

agreed. i also have a problem with really mean people that wont leave you alone.

I will also play any course, unless safety is a big concern. Having said that, my biggest turnoff would be an unkempt, overgrown course. If after every shot, I would have to search for my disc because the course so poorly maintained, then it would no longer be worth it.

This past winter, we had some courses that were a sheet of ice. I didn't play them at the time for fear of injury, so that's another turnoff for me.

I'm not really sure what would turn me off to playing because I haven't been in that situation yet. Nothing pops into my head as something I would leave for. If it's built, I will play it.

The only courses I've gone to and decided not to play were:
I think it was in Rapid City, SD and when I got there it was 20 something degrees and blowing about 40-50 mph - I passed.
The other was in Demoines, IA and was a little city park that was totally overgrown. Found the first basket ok, the second had the basket on the ground (the through-bolt was busted) and had grass 2' tall growing up through it. Just didn't seem worth the effort to find the whole course.

If I get to the park, can't find the first tee and then realize that I wouldn't be able to find my disc if I threw it...then maybe I wouldn't even play. It would have to be pretty bad.

I can think of a few things;

1. For courses I have never played if the navigation is terrible or there does not seem to be any dicernable order then I wouldn't play again.
2. Courses that have no variation
3. Courses where you spend more time looking for discs than actually playing.
4. For courses that I like to play but get busy, I don't enjoy playing if I have to wait 20 minutes to tee off and then 10 minutes at each hole for giant groups.

Really swampy is my biggest turnoff.....and hairy legs.

If I am there to just check a course out and things are really overgrown that is a detriment. I will play the course with a putter or just walk it an visualize what it could be - the potential it was designed to have. If there are blind overgrown holes I might just not even throw.

I won't play in fresh powder snow or icy conditions where Crampons should be required.
But obviously conditions like that shouldnt really surprise anyone.

I'll play anywhere i have driven to. most places are at least ½hour drive - i do my research beforehand - if i make the effort to drive somewhere there's really got to be a some sort of problem i couldn't imagine for me to not play.

For me, litter and being overgrown (fairways that is, i understand woods or tall grass on the edges) are the only things that have ever kept me off a course that i haven't played. If it's 18, i'll give it a shot, but if I can tell that litter and poorly kept grounds are a problem before I even get on the first tee, I'm gone.

There was one course that the simplicity of the first hole almost made me leave, but it turned out to be great. I'm incredibly happy I didn't walk away from McHose park: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2407

I have occasionally stopped after just a few holes. But I have never just not played. When I have stopped after just a few holes it's been because the course was repetitive and gimmicky.

No navigation. I played Homestead High School's DGC and needless to say I couldn't even find the tee for hole one. Sort of made up a course with my friend for awhile and left :|