• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BlueBerry Hill vrs Flip City

Ok, I made my trip to both Flip and High bridge so I'm now qualified to weigh in on my own thread

In terms of one individual course nothing at High bridge even comes close to being on the same level as Flip City but.......

In terms of a destination, High bridge pisses all over Flip City. So many great courses on the same piece of land. Plus I camped out and met a lot of really cool people. Also there is more to do there than just Disc Golf

I just can't call a favorite

I find it interesting Blueberry has been play by 163 people on DGCR, 30 have written reviews, but there are only 17 rounds recorded!?! None of the other Highbridge courses are any better in that regard. What the heck is that all about?

The Highbridge courses are HARD. So people don't want to put their scores in and reveal that they suck ;)

That is my excuse anyway. Honestly, I was there on Saturday, but I don't plan on writing any reviews. The courses there are all awesome (we didn't play Granite, but I assume it's on par with the rest), but I will be the first to admit that they are designed for players that are far better than I am. We had a blast, but the courses there pretty much kicked my ass, even woodland and blueberry, which are not supposed to be that tough.

I will add that we had a long chat with John, and that place is going to be even more awesome in a couple years when he has 7 completed courses and a line of 7 tee boxes that will be the #1 tee box for each course.

The ssa of new Blueberry (minor changes) is 55 or so with the newer granite design being around 56-57. In normal conditions I shot a 53 at the Old Blueberry. My only rounds on the new design were at Worlds in 07' with pretty nasty winds and two lame rounds of like 58. It was a cool course but in my mind those Blue baskets boost the scores of people subconsciously.

Ok, I made my trip to both Flip and High bridge so I'm now qualified to weigh in on my own thread

In terms of one individual course nothing at High bridge even comes close to being on the same level as Flip City but.......

In terms of a destination, High bridge pisses all over Flip City. So many great courses on the same piece of land. Plus I camped out and met a lot of really cool people. Also there is more to do there than just Disc Golf

I just can't call a favorite

Seems like reasonable assessment that I'm willing to take at face value from someone who's been to both.

Not to seem like a FLIP'S THE GREATEST person who lives in Michigan, but anyone who makes it out to play Flip really should play a few of the other area courses: Beast/Beauty/Goliath, Leviathan, Whitehall... all 3.5 or higher, all within 30 min or so of Flip. Even if on the whole Highbridge is better, I'm simply pointing out that any disc golfer making a trip out to Flip does themselves a disservice skipping the others. maybe not 5's, but seriously good golf nonetheless.

Not to seem like a FLIP'S THE GREATEST person who lives in Michigan, but anyone who makes it out to play Flip really should play a few of the other area courses: Beast/Beauty/Goliath, Leviathan, Whitehall... all 3.5 or higher, all within 30 min or so of Flip. Even if on the whole Highbridge is better, I'm simply pointing out that any disc golfer making a trip out to Flip does themselves a disservice skipping the others. maybe not 5's, but seriously good golf nonetheless.

This is the ABSOLUTE truth to the matter. DO NOT MISS the others in surrounding areas.

The two not mentioned here are Branstrom (literally down the road from Flip, and designed with help from Bill @ Flip. A very much under-rated course) and Hickory Hills in Traverse City (albeit a 100 mile + drive north, but what a drive up the lakeshore!)

Kinda find that hard to believe. Although flip looks pretty nice it does look mighty short.

Not that it'll end any debate, hating, localism or favortism, but I'll try to provide some perspective on the subject .

Flip's certainly got variety, elevation, challenge and opportunities to go over par - it's certainly a tough course (FWIW - the extra 6 holes are among the hardest on the course, so it plays quite a bit easier as an 18 than it does a 24). That being said, I wouldn't call it championship caliber tough.

Challenge is not what sets Flip apart.
What sets Flip apart is its atmosphere: the people, the beauty, the variety, the incredible attention to detail, the unparallelled TLC... Flip's got charm. What makes Flip special is the experience, and that simply doesn't translate into print.

If you're in search of disc golf's greatest challenge: don't come to Flip - you'll be disappointed.

If you're in search of disc golf's greatest time:
1) Put Flip on your wish list
2) Break out a calendar
3) Call your buds and start planning.

Angelina's hot in one way, and Jennifer's hot in another, but you can damn well bet Brad had a good time playing both those courses!

Pardon the plug, but, if you haven't played it, and are "Flip curious," check out my review of Flip (or any TR's) - I think you'll get a better feel for what it's about.

Last edited:
The ssa of new Blueberry (minor changes) is 55 or so with the newer granite design being around 56-57. In normal conditions I shot a 53 at the Old Blueberry. My only rounds on the new design were at Worlds in 07' with pretty nasty winds and two lame rounds of like 58. It was a cool course but in my mind those Blue baskets boost the scores of people subconsciously.

Ha! I wish! I'd have to check my cards, but I think I shot like a 75.

But then there's the difference between a 1000 rated player and a noob. :D

okay...i just finished a 10 day Wisconsin DG Trip from Madison.

1. Day one. Standing Rocks
Yulga
Big Aue Plaine
2.Day Two Sandy Point
& Day Three. Sandy Point
3. Day 3 and a Half High Bridge

and day 4, 5 & 6 High Bridge.

Day 7 ( sorta of...) 8, 9, and 10.... back to Sandy. 10 rounds at Sandy.

Lots of golf. Quality courses. Traveling...camping...that other stuff...

Here's the short review... big arms will probably like High Bridge...bomber holes...lol...and lots of classic throws. Wicked cool second shots. Work for a 330 RHBH thrower.

In the end...Sandy Point rules High Bridge. Not even a question. High Bridge isn't finished....and...as much as I liked meeting John and his creativity and vision...its pretty clear...High Bridge will never be finished. Fun...sure, yet Sandy Point, even with its relative shortness is just love.

its pretty clear...High Bridge will never be finished. Fun...sure, yet Sandy Point, even with its relative shortness is just love.

haha putting in new courses isn't cheap and john striving to put in more courses and make improvements to what is already there hardly seems to be a negative to me. I hope he just keeps building and building and building until the property is full.

I thought Sandy Point was just average. There isn't any real length. I'm not a big fan of an entire course of <300 ft shots. It's a nice course, and worth a round or two, but not worth an entire day. I'd get bored. I'd much rather play at highbridge where you can't even play all of the holes with a foursome in a day. Way more variety in course layout/terrain. There's plenty of courses in central wisconsin on par with Sandy Point, but none close to Granite/Blueberry/Gold.

^^^ I agree with the variety part. I like a course to have a little of everything and a bunch of the stuff I like - deep woods, water, elevation.

I thought Sandy Point was just average. There isn't any real length. I'm not a big fan of an entire course of <300 ft shots. It's a nice course, and worth a round or two, but not worth an entire day. I'd get bored. I'd much rather play at highbridge where you can't even play all of the holes with a foursome in a day. Way more variety in course layout/terrain. There's plenty of courses in central wisconsin on par with Sandy Point, but none close to Granite/Blueberry/Gold.

I thought Sandy Point was well above average, but I agree that it was a little short for a top level course. I did have a great time there though, there's some awesome holes there and a great atmosphere, but I did prefer Blueberry to Sandy Point.

Sandy point is above average. I should have phrased that better. Love the brooms on the tees, and how well it's maintained. Some decent elevation too. There's just so many courses around where I live that don't have anything besides pitch and putt par threes. That just gets old in a hurry for me. I love going to a place that offers a challenge. I'm not very good, but I still love trying to think my way through a hole rather than just drive, putt, drive, putt...