• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Boss/Excalibur FH flex shots

I started throwing this shot with my Star Destroyer.... and then I found the Star Boss, which is now my main disc for this shot. I can get it out to about 425' on a good toss.

edit: the Xcal and Force aren't bad for this shot either, but I get the most distance out of the Boss.

I would expect this to be mostly a form issue (ie: OAT).

C-PD maybe. Definitely not the S-PD or P-PD for a FH flex. They'll turn over too much. At the range he's talking about I wouldn't suggest it. The C-PD is a shorter FH driver (anywhere from 250-350ish) for me.

If you're looking for a flex shot my choice would definitely be an STAR Xcaliber. All reports I've heard of champion plastic Xcals have been negative. I threw the Xcal for my primary FH distance driver for almost two years, and it worked pretty well for me (I was using it for 350-450 foot lines if the space was given to me). In the beginning I used it for the flex shots you are talking about, but after much use I began having to flip it on max D lines or flat for ones a little shorter. I want to be clear that this took about 8 months of heavy abuse for it to get to that point though (2+ rounds a day for that time period).

The Force is very similar to the Xcaliber. I threw it for a while, but it never felt quite right and I ended up going back to the Xcaliber.

A couple weeks ago I started to throw Destroyers instead of Xcalibers. I started doing this because I realized that I was applying a sizable amount of OAT to get the disc to fly the lines I wanted. This was really messing up my shorter FH lines with the C/S-PD. I tried the Destroyer and quickly found I could hit the same lines and about the same distances as my Xcaliber with two added benefits. First, it didn't fade out nearly as hard. Second, it took about 75% power to get the shot a 95% shot with the Xcal had taken, translating to more control; however, I do not throw flex shots anymore, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm not sure that they'd be as good for a flex shot at as long of a range.

I have not thrown a Boss, but I would expect it to be similar to the Destroyer, with the added effect of being faster and everything that usually comes along with added speed, including inconsistency.

I hope you enjoyed my mini-novel.

I did enjoy your novella very much. That's just the candid insight I'm after when I post questions on DGCR. Funny, because you echo my thoughts exactly. I've got a buddy's used Force in the bag for a trial run right now, and it pulls off this shot decently, though doesn't feel just right. I love Destroyers for controlled deep distance and deep hyzers, but I feel like it would beat to too flippy for S's too quickly. I do want to order a StarXcal to audition for this shot. And fyi, I don't throw the FH flex very often, but with the way the local courses are set up right now, I'm needing a deep(ish) FH S a couple times each round.

Latest posts