• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bravo DiscGolfPlanet.tv

Thank you Team DGP!!! Excellent work, all around!!! And for FREE!!! C'mon!!! EXCLAMATION POINTS!!! EXCLAMATION POINTS FOR EVERYONE!!!

The video coverage was great this week! Thank goodness the golf was so exciting. MPM coming down to the last hole as well as a sudden life ;) playoff in MPO.

The commentary is absolutely brutal! It nearly overshadowed the spectacular golf that was taking place out there. From the awkward interviews, phrases, not knowing the scores, saying shots are out of bounds when they not just killed me.

I just watched the sudden death playoff on another youtube channel. Wow! It's even better without commentary! Watching Will Schusterick's wow reaction to one of McBeasts putts to push another hole was awesome. That group immediately took off running for the next hole.

Crazy needs somebody with him. My favorite combo was Crazy and Billy in 2012. I thought they fed well off each other. Crazy by himself is rough and Greenwell is extremely bland

I fully agree. Look at all the major sporting events that are on TV. They have more than one person to pick up the slack and add expert commentary and color. It would be nice to see an older person along with a younger person to do these events going forward. That way you can get a broader perspective.
Ibet "Crazy" was getting a bit "Crazy" trying to fill in all the time during the event. But my hat is off to him for doing it.

I just watched the sudden death playoff on another youtube channel. Wow! It's even better without commentary! Watching Will Schusterick's wow reaction to one of McBeasts putts to push another hole was awesome. That group immediately took off running for the next hole.

Everyone running to the next hole was super intense. The gallery was almost as dynamic as the play.

Crazy was crazy. When he didn't mention how great it is to play protected cause you have US army nearby, he either talked about how he feels the energies or how he thanks god or mother nature for anything he spotted and liked at that moment.

I am an old hippie, but that was too much even for me.

But apart from that, it was great coverage! I was surprised by the quality!

Everyone running to the next hole was super intense. The gallery was almost as dynamic as the play.

Being in the galery and running hole to hole was exhilirating! If we didn't run, we'd get stuck watching the crowning of the champion from a poor viewing angle. Plus, that way we could get to the best viewing spots without holding up the group.

It was a constant battle all day to not get stuck behind the gallery with a bad view, it was just accentuated during the playoff holes.

So first off - thanks to DGPlanet for a pretty high quality live stream that made for some great viewing - and it helped that we had awesome golf with tons of drama.

As for Crazy, a few points:
1- I can best sum up the experience by my wife's perspective (non-DGer) who happened to be in my office a few times when crazy was being...well crazy. In her less than 5 minutes of listening across 2 trips in my office she asked me if he was high, and just laughed at how ridiculous he sounded, wondering how I could listen to him. And she didn't hear the "best" of it.

2- In small doses, I didn't really mind it that much. Sure there were some oddities that had me rolling my eyes but I was lost in the great DG and it slid right past me. But after having the fortune of watching a LOT of hours of coverage in a compressed time this week - WOW - did it quickly become grating. If there was a way to mute crazy and leave on the crowd noise and athletes during the final 9 I certainly would have.

3- He just HAS to do a better job of being accurate. Stop speculating, and if you do speculate and come up wrong - take the time to correct yourself to the viewer. I can deal with the "hear comes a roller" prediction when I watch a flick come out of the box. Oh well. What I can't deal with is. "oh no, he is OB". Proceed to next hole. Person who Crazy said was OB is now on the top of the box. WTF???!?! Check live scoring and realize he wasn't OB and Crazy didn't bother to tell us... If he wasn't 100% sure (I get that this happens as he isn't always at the camera and can't see the lie / no spotters/flags, etc.) he needs to just say "that is going to be close to OB..." followed with "that shot was/was not OB"

4- I don't know if he can control it - but if he could tone down the wacky sayings and whatnot, that'd be great.

I understand the sings being said about Crazy's commentary, and agree with a lot of it, but let's not get caught up in nitpicking here. This was by far the best DGP.tv coverage I have seen. I had almost given up earlier because of picture quality, bad signal and terrible production overall. Now multiple cameras and and HD. Cameramen that filmed so it was possible to follow the action.
Sure the commentary could be improved compared to "real" sports commentary with teams and producers and what they have, but from what there is available, I am not complaining at all.

If schule isn't rough, then what is it? The only time I have ever heard the term is in disc golf and in reference to bushes, shrubs, long grass, weeds, etc on the edges of fairways.

As far as Crazy, I think he does alright most of the time (live commentary can be difficult). What he could do better at is letting the moment breathe. He has a tendency to want to fill every moment of the broadcast with banter when there's often no real reason to keep talking. And in his quest to not have any quiet moments in the broadcast, he tends to do one of two things...he gets very repetitive (how many times does he have to remind us we're watching DGP.tv through the wonders of the interweb?) or he tries too hard to be colorful and diverse in his descriptions and ends up struggling to find words and rambles instead.

It's probably impossible for him (they don't call him Crazy for nothing) but if he dialed it back from 11 to about 6, maybe 7, he'd be great.

I'm not here to bash the guy either but am I the only one who feels like he's trying to bring a bunch of testosterone to disc golf? It's like a bad MMA commentary. Just be mellow, like Ian from Central Coast Disc Golf. His commentary is spot on, but in all fairness he's not doing it live. They have got to find someone else though if they want to attract new viewers. Only really hardcore disc golfers are going to suffer through that.

Commentary and video quality was all an improvement over years past. I was very satisfied with the whole broadcast. Doesn't hurt that it was one of the most dramatic finishes since Anton and Jenkins battled in like 2009 or something.

Some things to spice it up...

Another color commentator, say in the broadcast booth or in person would have given crazy a break from all the rambling he had to do. Also if we could cut to another camera on the chase card, that would have filled in the wait times for the lead card. Also cut into a good final nine closing of the masters division or FPO. Now Im just getting greedy, I know. But for the quality and more cameras, I am willing to pay for that type of broadcasting. And it being an app on roku, I got to see the whole worlds experience. The awards, the interviews, live play and previous days play all on my big screen tv at home. Great job by all who was part of the crew.

P.S. No bash on smashtv, centralcoastdiscgolf or the discgolf guy. They have their own niche they will try to fill in this emerging demand of disc golf video.

So... the second the final 18 were over I raced down to my parents house, (they had some 'projects' for me... they always have some projects for me), upon arrival I got on my mom's computer just in time and we watched the final 9+ playoffs. I couldn't count how many times I had to correct Crazy's comments to my mom, who plays ball golf herself but is intrigued by discing, but other than that we were both pretty impressed. I think this is one of those situations that we should encourage and nurture. I was enthralled the entire week. Well, mostly enthralled, most of the week. Which is good, very good.

What if there were a compromise or melding of styles, where there could be both commentary when warranted and simply be silent the rest of the time? Has that been tried? Even I don't know if I'm being sarcastic!

Crazy was running this one alone because Dave Greenwell was playing in his 33rd Worlds <yes, that's all of them>. I liked the coverage. I couldn't watch live because both my machine and my connection suck right now. <machine overheats unless I keep the air conditioning cranked in here>.

This thread is just one big Shout Out. Great coverage by DGPtv.

I loved the coverage and after a while Crazy actually started to grow on me. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't know that Portland has the largest amount of strip clubs per capita.

I will also mention that I went way over my allowed data amount. I've never gone over my data and I only have two more weeks to go! Damn it dgp.

I am glad that this thread was started. I have been very critical of DGPlanet in the past and I am glad to have the opportunity to talk about there success and short comings

This years coverage was vastly superior to anything they have presented in the past and I was very pleased with the coverage. it streamed great, the picture clarity was very good and there was very little coverage interruption (i.e. they did not lose battery power and miss the last 2 holes of the event like last years memorial)

Crazy John: holy cow. There is no whine is the critique it is just cold hard facts. I do not mind his color or his repetition. People have stated earlier how hard it is to do live broadcasts especially ones that are hours long. I feel like he does a decent job at this part of his commentary. even though it can sometimes be painfully awkward especially live. But I don't hate is color or his plugs. he is a natural broadcaster and has a great voice for it. BUT what gets me more than anything is how often he is wrong on the play by play. about everything. even the most mundane things like what hole they are playing, the par, the distance etc etc. and especially when he is mistaken on his shot outcome. we can not see the shots finishing so we are relying on the commentary to keep us in the loop. He was absolutely terrible at this this year. almost everything that came out of his mouth was incorrect and it kept happening over and over and over. If he wasn't sure the disc went OB the he should not have speculated. after the first 50 times he was wrong I don't understand why it didn't dawn on him to just stop doing it. Even something as simple as "it looks like it may have gone out of bounds we will see when we get closer" but he never did that, not once. He just kept guessing and guessing wrong. From a sports nut like myself he gave me baby coronaries several times for no reason at all

Last edited: