• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Break me down so I can build back up.

Had a breakthrough a few weeks ago that jumped me from 330 to the 400 range. The last week or so I seem to be back to the 330 range again. Judging by the video I shot tonight here is what I see. Im open to all criticism so dont be shy. All shots were thrown straight line with no flex etc.

Note:This was after 27 holes in 90 degree heat so I was a little tired.
Disc 1: 168 Tbird. 325 feet
Disc2: 168 Tbird. 340 feet
Disc3: 150 Bliz Destroyer 330 nose up stall out
Disc4: 175 Pro Destroyer 355

http://youtu.be/y_4p_8U4j30

I see that I seem to start opening my hips at the left pec instead of the right. I also need to get more weight forward. Still working on my nose down also.

Safety first you're flat footing. You wanna land on the corner of the bottom of the toe and the inside side of the toe rolling on the same corner of the shoe to the heel and then pivoting. Then following through by stepping forward with the left leg and raising back onto the ball of the foot of the right foot.

Actually you don't twist the hips to the right of neutral position much at all -you should. You are correct about the whole torso turning right starting from when the disc is at the left side. You need to pause there to allow the arm to move more elbow forward before pushing hard with the left leg not pivoting on the left leg yet. To start the lower body firing too early.

Your reach back is way short and you'll gain a lot if you point your heels at the target in the x step and landing on the plant step and getting the arm as far back as you can. Provided you can guide your body well. At first reaching back so far can unbalance you and then automated anti falling down processes of the subconscious and conscious mind kick in. Robbing you of the brain processing power needed to command the acceleration. The automation says slow down, you're falling down. It is difficult to command more power as you're unbalanced and are fighting to regain balance while powering down from the subconscious commands.

Can you explain what you mean when you say I don't twist my hips to the right of neutral? On the reachback...I have been purposefully pulling shorter to get used to pulling closer to the right pec. I will try the longer reachback though. Thanks for all your help btw.

I would stop the video in various places or better yet watch it in sequence picture by picture using VLC, Media Player Classic or a video editing software like Videodub. The hips are at neutral position when they are in rest position. That means that if you stand at attention the toes, knees, navel and nose point straight ahead. Before you turn the shoulders you should have started to twist the hips to the right of facing forward with the navel. The hips are the second most powerful area in the body and it creates a lot of rotational speed multiplying the disc speed using the arm as a lever.

So let me make sure im getting everything right here.

I need to get more on my toes (heels facing target) turn my hips/shoulders to get a farther reachback...start my acceleration with my hips pausing them when the disc gets to the right peck to allow elbow extension, then push with rear leg get weight forward and follow through? I will take this info and head to the field on monday, and report back. Its difficult to feel what you are doing but I will video it so i can see if the adjustments are actually taking place.

The throw happens in two parts and starts when the plant step toe hits the ground. You were x stepping so you already have forward momentum which will move your legs and body from reach back to torso facing 90 degrees left of the target with the disc around the left side. From there you still lazy about with the legs, hips and shoulders moving the arm elbow forward and the disc to the right side. Once you get there the legs initiate the power generation in the power zone. Followed lightning fast with the hips twist, shoulder turn, elbow chop, wrist snap and wrist stopping then the disc pivots if you pinch hard enough possibly enough spin and speed is the result. The speed of the fast left leg knee straightening skateboard kick/right rotation in the non Feldy style to the rip should be very quick. With luck as fast as the fastest two claps you can manage in a row. That means that you can't consciously issue commands to different body parts in sequence left leg kicks, both legs in Do The Twist dance move by Chubby Checker then the hips twisting the shoulders turning then the elbow chopping then so on ad nauseum. That would be slower than girls throwing. I wonder if they think what they do? That may be a recipe to throwing like a girl :) That's wasting proper previous momentum, body positioning and timing making most of the motions incidental on top of which you slam on power or pour fuel to the fire kicking in the afterburner.

Pause first powering then. Incidental cruising until then except you should vary the acceleration point and rate of acceleration to see where your current optimum is. It will change earlier with practice probably if you're not fast in the nervous system and filled with the fastest kind of muscle cells and strong already. Those kinds of changes come slowly so annual checks should suffice.

If you sped it up and added more weight transfer from your back leg to the front... Those drives just seemed too relaxed to go much farther than 350.

Latest posts