• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Break-up or Divorce due to Disc Golf?

As much as I love the didge, I would have to say if my wife ever said, "Either I go, or DG goes!"; I would put down the discs. My wife is worth more to me than the didge.

I can't say that I've ever ended a relationship because of disc golf specifically. I can say that it's played a role in my decision-making before though. Such as: "I'm probably going to play disc golf for forty more years or so. This girl has no interest in it whatsoever and sometimes feels that I don't pay attention to her enough because of disc golf. Do I really want to keep dealing with this for another month or longer?"

I mean, I know that I'll most likely never date or marry a girl that's as crazy for the sport as I am, but I can't deal with a girl who has any sort of "problem" with the sport or me playing it. Would you rather I was out smoking rock with prostitutes?

As much as I love the didge, I would have to say if my wife ever said, "Either I go, or DG goes!"; I would put down the discs. My wife is worth more to me than the didge.

When that happens, I would like your Z-Plastic Comet, Gateway Wizard, and your Champion Spider. Just let me know...... :)

Don't you think a little piece of your soul would die there, though? I mean, of course, DG isn't more important than your wife. But it ain't exactly an equal relationship if one person can determine the other person's activities. Where would your relationship go after this choice was required? Would you have to get your wife's permission to do whatever pseudo-athletic activity replaced the didge?

My girlfriend/common law wife/old lady is pretty cool about the whole disc golf thing. She doesn't give me to much trouble about playing unless it interferes with family type stuff. She doesn't play and I do get an eye roll or two when I ramble on about it at times. Over all she is cool about it though. She even bought me a Revo Carolina bag for christmas one year! Cant imagine I would ever be in a position where I would have to choose a woman or disc golf, though with any relationship you have to make compromises on both ends.

Don't you think a little piece of your soul would die there, though? I mean, of course, DG isn't more important than your wife. But it ain't exactly an equal relationship if one person can determine the other person's activities. Where would your relationship go after this choice was required? Would you have to get your wife's permission to do whatever pseudo-athletic activity replaced the didge?

I think, as the years go by, most husbands have to get their wives' permission to do just about anything......

I don't see Chain ever COMPLETELY quitting....

When that happens, I would like your Z-Plastic Comet, Gateway Wizard, and your Champion Spider. Just let me know...... :)

You mean IF that happens right RCP?

1 in 10107 <---- The odds of me EVER giving up the didge.

Oh by all means I seriously doubt that she would ever say that, but if she did say that then I probably would have to respect her wishes. I mean what is true love right?.... Sacrifice? I know that she loves me enough not to give me an ultimatum like that.

Last edited:
My wife doesn't mind it, in fact she's all for me playing. I do have my priorities, but when I get the opportunity, it's never a problem. I do have to monitor my spending, beings I'm currently unemployed. I can't just run out and buy a bunch of discs. ...let alone A disc. :\

I can't say that I've ever ended a relationship because of disc golf specifically. I can say that it's played a role in my decision-making before though. Such as: "I'm probably going to play disc golf for forty more years or so. This girl has no interest in it whatsoever and sometimes feels that I don't pay attention to her enough because of disc golf. Do I really want to keep dealing with this for another month or longer?"

I mean, I know that I'll most likely never date or marry a girl that's as crazy for the sport as I am, but I can't deal with a girl who has any sort of "problem" with the sport or me playing it. Would you rather I was out smoking rock with prostitutes?
Exactly. Does she want you to wind up on the cover or forums section of CRACK WHORE MAGAZINE!?

ive been dating my girl for more that two years and ive been dg for only a year and a half. too boot my girl got me into it. however i have become more.... crazy about it, but she still supports it for now. she kind of frowns on our sunday night games. which by the way im missing right now. so far its two thumbs up.

If disc golf is the apparent problem then there are definitely other problems that you just haven't addressed yet.

My family is my number one priority. That being said my wife would never tell me to stop playing the game. She might tell me to cool it down some if I am over doing it but never to quit.

It's about the compromise. My wife has hobbies and so do I. She likes the fact that DG gets me off my @$$ and outside. I occasionally play on days we have nothing going on, but since I work 4x10's every week, I normally play on my extra day off while she is at work.

Hobbies are just that, a hobby. My wife is much more than a hobby. Even my best Star plastic can't keep me warm at night. That said, there would be some serious problems if I was forced to quit my hobbies. Priority and balance is key.

telling her whats up is the key. the minute your chick tries to guilt you into not golfing is the minute you have to have a serious talk about manliness and the benefits, to her, of you disc golfing. if she cant accept that you NEED to golf, kick her to the curb.:thmbup:

In turning 32 this weekend. My fiance is the first girl I've dated that encourages my disc golf hobby. (Part of why she is my fiance). She's not good, but she enjoys playing and is willing to keep throwing on almost any course (we played an 18 at Nockamixon and she threw every shot... probably ~120 strokes for her). In the ~18 months since she first picked up a disc, she's probably joined me for 25-30 courses in 8-10 states. It's a great roadtrip activity together.

I think a lot of it has been balance. I used to be more disc golf obsessed than I am now. I know disc golf has had a negative impact on past relationships. But I think a lot of that was my inability at the time to articulate my priorities. Girl X,Y,Z would think that I "loved disc golf more than them," or that "I was always out playing disc golf with my friends and never wanted to spend time with her." I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has heard those lines.

And the trick was that in those cases, if I had done a better job of balancing my priorities, things might have worked out better. Make sure your girlfriend/fiance/wife knows that you love her and want to spend time with her, but also encourage her to pursue her own hobbies, whatever those might be. If she is spending time on her own hobbies, it gives you room for your hobbies.

This weekend, I'm playing in a disc golf tourney on Saturday. My fiance is planning on knitting with a friend... at the end of the day, we're hosting some friends together for dinner, then we're spending Sunday together. She gets time, disc gets time. All good. Just make sure that you plan time with your girl first, and make the disc golf second. And pray for the right girl.

Latest posts