• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Breaking In Discs

give them to a newby friend and only teach them a tomahawk

give them to a newby friend and only teach them a tomahawk

Why a newbie? They will probably flutter it w/ little power.

Bend the disc back and forth, not too much but enough to make it pliable. And leave it in the back ledge of your car in the sun, it will soften it up and break in w/ out nailing trees and possible crapping out the rim faster.

If you really want to break it in I would imagine putting it in hot, not boiling, water would soften it up and help the process. Never done it myself, but have put brand new soccer cleats in and it works like a charm to avoid blisters and break the shoe in before use. If its plastic hot water should in theory soften it.

Last edited:
I'm going to start saying that you should run it over with a car a bunch of times.

Every time this thread pops up, that will be my advice.

I'm hoping that it catches on.:clap:

Artificially breaking in a disc has a consequence. For me, part of the break in is familiarizing yourself with that particular disc.

I actually started a thread about this a short while ago :p I was wondering about the same thing.

My solution is to throw your disc against the ground, maybe ding it off a few trees, and I also crash them into the basket a few times. I would not hit them against stone or concrete because my new Champion Firebird hit some pavement and lost a decent little chunk, so purposely doing that probably isn't a good idea.

I also threw my Tangent into the same tree twice in a row off the tee (not purposely) so that was pretty slick. I am not sure if it flies any differently but I am guessing it probably got beat a little bit.

I read on this forum where a group of dudes would stand in a circle and have a lil circle jerk of beating their discs in by throwing them into the ground. Thought it was funny and is prolly why I remember it.

Personally I agree with this guy...
My opinion is DON'T be mean to your discs! They have a lifespan and you are just shortening that when you beat em up. Learn to throw them as they are, or reach for some understable plastic... They will break in soon enough...

I had recently lost my perfectly seasoned saint, and bought a saint replacement. I just sanded of the flashing, then played a round of 18. After each of my real throws, I would throw a spike or roller. After 18 on the NW Steilacoom course, its near my old saint. One more round should get it to that sweet hyzer flip to turn spot and stay there for a while. Gotta love GL plastic!

what I've done in the past is throw a disc or two in the dryer on low heat with some towels in the dryer also. It just gets the discs a little softer and beat in. I personally wouldn't break a disc in any other way, unless you just want to throw the disc to break it in.

I've got a firm Vibram Lace. It landed in the street and was run over by a car and then a large delivery truck. You'd never know by looking at it but it's broken in for sure. The disc went from laser straight to seriously understable. I can anny it and it'll still turn over into a roller. Very predictable actually.

Though, I wouldn't reccomend this method with soft plastics, or probably plastics in general.

I've got a firm Vibram Lace. It landed in the street and was run over by a car and then a large delivery truck. You'd never know by looking at it but it's broken in for sure. The disc went from laser straight to seriously understable. I can anny it and it'll still turn over into a roller. Very predictable actually.

Though, I wouldn't reccomend this method with soft plastics, or probably plastics in general.

You mean release it on a big hyzer, rather than "I can anny it," right?

You mean release it on a big hyzer, rather than "I can anny it," right?

Yes. Brain fart.
I threw it in a tourney today and the universal remark is that there is no reason for a disc unstable. Funny, but I've thrown it enough I'm used to it but almost everyone else that throws it has trouble.

Last edited:
I needed a few more discs with some turn so I had to do some beatin'. I've had great luck just throwing rollers into the ground (soft, hard, whatever) about 3 feet in front of me. After a few rolls, I drove the disc and saw how the turn was developing.

(This was with a 163 Recycled River, it is PERFECT right now and hasn't changed much since I seasoned it)

Latest posts