• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

He lives somewhere around Dayton, Ohio I believe. I remember talking to him once on here and we had just been on the same course at the same time.

It's a pretty good hotbed for DG. Dayton and Cincy both have thriving scenes and Columbus isn't far away and they also have pretty good DG.

Yep, just south of Dayton, so most of the Cincy and northern Kentucky courses are within an hour's drive. That includes Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild. We almost have too many quality choices here.

I'd be shocked if he can't already throw over 400' consistently.

The guy is huge (6'5") and been launching lids his entire life.

Those ultimate players have great wrist snap. If disc golf was played with putters and mids only, they could easily climb to the top of the distance elite imop, but fast drivers require more arm speed and I think..that's where they are lacking at least..initially. ? ? ?

Those ultimate players have great wrist snap. If disc golf was played with putters and mids only, they could easily climb to the top of the distance elite imop, but fast drivers require more arm speed and I think..that's where they are lacking at least..initially. ? ? ?

"Arm speed" guys uselly strong arm the disc into a throwler. Snap is important to keep the disc flying stable even with wrap speed drivers. Bent arm throwers still get snap from the wrist, so does the other forms, but maybe not as focused on the wrist snap.

Disc golf requires different body dynamics than Ulitmate does, that is the big difference. In disc golf we do not have to worry about defenders blocking our shots and we are allowed to move with the disc in hand.

I played a round with Brodie in 2014 at Seymour Smith park in Omaha, NE. I was traveling there for work and was playing a solo round when I spotted him on the course. I'm a fan (I have played lots of ultimate) and went over to greet him. He invited me to join him for the rest of the round he was playing with employees from DiscStore.com. He was in town doing promotional work with them. He threw a Pole Cat and was not very good. Afterward we all went out for Cuban food. It was pretty freaking cool! I found Brodie to be pretty pompous and boisterous, but he seemed to have a nice heart. Definitely not someone I'd choose to be close friends with, however.

That's why I was surprised to see that Ohio's top rated course is only 4.13.

But there are a lot of courses in that range with more added recently.
Armco, Ceasars Ford, Hidden Ridge and Southfork are 4 recent courses that should match that type of rating.
SW Ohio also includes Northern Ky where Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge are located.

Yep, just south of Dayton, so most of the Cincy and northern Kentucky courses are within an hour's drive. That includes Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild. We almost have too many quality choices here.

That's why I was surprised to see that Ohio's top rated course is only 4.13.

I don't want to step on toes, but I spend a week in Miamisburg/Germantown every year and the only decent course I have found in the Dayton area is Scyamore Trails.

Now that hell wind that is always blowing off the river, it makes that course so much harder than the layout suggests.

Perhaps I need to contact you GoobyPls, before I go next year to get recommendations of where to play.

He has a video where he throws a disc 82 MPH . . that´s faster than Eagle or Simon on CCDG . .how is that possible?

I don't want to step on toes, but I spend a week in Miamisburg/Germantown every year and the only decent course I have found in the Dayton area is Scyamore Trails.

Now that hell wind that is always blowing off the river, it makes that course so much harder than the layout suggests.

Perhaps I need to contact you GoobyPls, before I go next year to get recommendations of where to play.

Armco and Caesar Ford both opened in the last year, and both are excellent. Definitely make time to play both of those when you're in town. I'm near Miamisburg and can be a course guide if you need one.

I want to look at it this way for a second....how many of Brodie's viewers would actually care about DG? Yes, the sheer odds say a bunch, but really? If Jomez for example put out a bunch of ultimate Frisbee content, how many of us would watch? Or care? Or immediately want to pick up the sport? It's not the right target audience.

How much really is he going to move the needle?

He has a video where he throws a disc 82 MPH . . that´s faster than Eagle or Simon on CCDG . .how is that possible?

They were throwing golf lines, right? Betcha one of them (or a few others) could touch the 80's with an all out throw just for the radar gun. Not sure the injury risk would be worth it either And didn't Eagle hit like 86 with a PD2 roller on film? I remember the commentators being in utter disbelief.

They were throwing golf lines, right? Betcha one of them (or a few others) could touch the 80's with an all out throw just for the radar gun. Not sure the injury risk would be worth it either And didn't Eagle hit like 86 with a PD2 roller on film? I remember the commentators being in utter disbelief.

Speed is not the end-all be-all; pitch, rotation, Yaw and OAT also come into play for max distance.

Look how far GG throws and he does not put near as much effort into his drives as the other top 10 distance throwers.

The pull has similar mechanics. Higher line due to the understability of an Ultrastar, and further from the chest due to the width. I bet Brodie is going to get distance in no time.

Here's a novel idea: why don't we wait and see how it turns out before trying to assume his motivation for doing this? I find him kind of annoying on his videos but I'm also willing to wait and see what happens with him before judging this whole venture.

He plastered a pic of himself and his card on Twitter so it's open season. I think the guy likes people talking about him.

Latest posts