• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Probably happened in WI. Now he'll never come back. Hope he comes back strong.

Anyone have thoughts on Zach "parting ways" with Foundation Disc Golf?

Based on "Unfortunately that is the only explanation that we can give at this time." from Hunter, I'm guessing this wasn't actually amicable and perhaps not voluntary on Zach's part. With it coinciding with Brodie coming on as a part owner of Foundation ... I guess the math seems, if not clear, at least statistically significant.

I don't know what actually happened (obviously), but given the drama that preceded Brodie's entry into disc golf (joint ball golf/trick shot venture with GM_Golf that fell apart last fall with a ton of acrimony), I have guesses.

I won't look at my "Zach Stumbles" discs in quite the same way again. Nice discs, too.

Full disclosure, I don't know that much about FDG, due to the name I assumed it was a non profit org to help grow the sport but after viewing their website it looks more like a for profit business venture, merch, discs, etc. Just looks like Paul and Brodie are getting a bit more serious about working together into the future. Nuttin wrong with that.

https://foundationdiscs.com/blogs/disc-reviews/new-look-same-mission

To fully understand Foundation Disc Golf, we need to go way back to the beginning. In the Fall of 2017, Paul McBeth and Hunter Thomas threw around the idea of opening a pro shop. It was going to be online but also serve mainly as a local hub to grow the disc golf community around us to the full potential that we knew it had. This led us to one clear name. Foundation. We chose the name Foundation because we knew that a community, a players game, and a business all needed to have one thing at the very core in order to be successful. A strong foundation. Fast forward to the spring of 2019 and that dream became a reality. Paul was with Foundation from the very beginning and acted behind the scenes outside of his YouTube and signing appearances because he wanted to grow something without using the name he had built for himself. This led us down several different paths until we found our groove on YouTube and poured our time and energy into growing the channel and in turn growing the business. The idea was to have entertaining videos that introduced people to the sport and gave them general knowledge that they needed so that they would purchase the right tools for their skill level and know what steps needed to be taken to improve.

That mission and drive behind the business have not and will not change. With the addition of Brodie Smith as an owner in the business and Paul deciding to officially attach his name to the brand, you will see the focus of Foundation shift to a market we never had direct access to before. The new players. This is where Foundation is meant to be. With Paul and Brodie leading the charge, we can now take the foundation that we laid over the past year and a half and build something that will truly grow the sport. Here we can accomplish what we always dreamed about from the beginning. We will be able to reach players who are just learning about disc golf and show them what steps and tools they can take and use to improve their game while also providing entertainment and a strong community to the players that have been in the sport for years.

With such a big change, we knew we needed a new look. The rebranding allows us to be more appealing to the masses while still keeping our roots intact. As Foundation moves forward, you will see the YouTube channel, Podcast, Patreon, and store kick into a new gear! Content quality will see improvement, podcast formats and shows will evolve, patrons will experience access and tiers that were never possible before, and the disc releases will get hotter and hotter. The new ownership opens so many doors that it is hard to predict what the future looks like exactly, but we know one thing for sure…The Foundation has been laid. Now it's time to build.

Anyone have thoughts on Zach "parting ways" with Foundation Disc Golf?

Based on "Unfortunately that is the only explanation that we can give at this time." from Hunter, I'm guessing this wasn't actually amicable and perhaps not voluntary on Zach's part. With it coinciding with Brodie coming on as a part owner of Foundation ... I guess the math seems, if not clear, at least statistically significant.

I don't know what actually happened (obviously), but given the drama that preceded Brodie's entry into disc golf (joint ball golf/trick shot venture with GM_Golf that fell apart last fall with a ton of acrimony), I have guesses.

I won't look at my "Zach Stumbles" discs in quite the same way again. Nice discs, too.

Hmm, what are you implying here?

Hmm, what are you implying here?

Nothing other than getting someone's stamp on a disc results from a certain attachment or fandom. Zach leaving FD, with likely some bad blood, gives a certain bitter to the sweet of having the stamp. I appreciated Zach because he was out there doing the best he could with what he had, and seemed new to the sport and growing in to it, as I am trying to do.

I had no idea what foundation disc golf was before this all went down.

https://www.patreon.com/FoundationDiscGolf

but just look at those insane patreon levels they've busted out. I don't think anybody has opted for the highest 2 levels yet

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH AND YOU GET TO PLAY A ROUND WITH THEM AFTER SIX MONTHS?

(deep breath)

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

"Alex I'll take 'Things that will NEVER happen' for $1000."

Guess if you're going to dream you gotta dream BIG.

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH AND YOU GET TO PLAY A ROUND WITH THEM AFTER SIX MONTHS?

(deep breath)

I'm pretty sure for $3,000 dollars you could hire Jomez to play and film a round. That might even be enough money to have some BigSexy commentary too, worst case you have to throw another $500 on top.

(deep breath)

I wouldn't go as far as to say it would never happen. Unlikely? Yes but I'm sure there are plenty of people who play disc golf that have the money if they chose to do so.

Team Foundation is a pretty vague description. Is that like Paul and Brodie or Hunter and his cousins?

Sure $3000 is insane. .but then, a round with Paul and Brodie is a thing i would remember for the rest of my life. . lots of things i have paid $3000 for that i can´t even remember :)

I had no idea what foundation disc golf was before this all went down.

https://www.patreon.com/FoundationDiscGolf

but just look at those insane patreon levels they've busted out. I don't think anybody has opted for the highest 2 levels yet

The 2 highest levels have limited runs, looks like a funding grab. Nothing wrong with that imop. $3000.00 (6 payments of 500) to film a round with Bro & Paul & company? (Only 5 left!) Actually, that's not that bad.

I appreciated Zach because he was out there doing the best he could with what he had, and seemed new to the sport and growing in to it, as I am trying to do.

I also liked Zach, I could see him branching off and doing something a bit more casual for noobs.

I'm pretty sure for $3,000 dollars you could hire Jomez to play and film a round. That might even be enough money to have some BigSexy commentary too, worst case you have to throw another $500 on top.

yah..maybe.. I get the Sexton angle... but I'm still thinking what 3k gets you is a better value long term.

full disclosure, i'm not a part of the tourney scene but... i feel like we're a big enough scene that we don't really have local pros. i know that might sound weird but there are enough Open players around that the idea seems to get irrelevant, even spread across 70+ courses in greater DFW. i'm also running off my best understanding of the term "local pro" as the clearly most-skilled player, ambassador for the sport, and go-to source for info/advice in a given region. maybe that's a bit off? is there a meaningful distinction between local pro and course pro?

not to diminish our pros, of course we do have Emerson Keith but there's also Nolan Grider (1013), Luke Humphries (1011), and a handful of other guys right around or just under 1000.

anyway, i don't know why any pro would pass on the opportunity to get some air-time. honestly, the holes we were talking about are not tough for a 1000 rated player, or even 970. wooded tunnels at 222', 287', 228 with fairly low ceilings. the first two are FH and the third is more of a turnover BH. the toughest thing for an open player on these holes are some flukey trees.

i was expecting an overconfident AM2 player with some FH distance and a chip on his shoulder. not sure which is funnier: seeing him chopping down trees or him not showing up.

because theres people here in DFW that never got a PDGA number and are pro all day long. at every course theres at least a few.
like im no pro but thats why i have such a high PDGA number is because back then the priorities were all different. i remember us talking about "get your number before it goes to 5 digits - 9999" like steve cook got like 9980. when i started it was in the 6000 range-ish in 1989 IIRC. we either didnt have the money or didnt WANT a ' sanctioned body' screwing up our weekends at the local parks. in my crew the thought was, and sometimes still is, why the hell do i have to be a member of your club to golf against you at a public park?

frisbee golf was free. it started from us playing catch frisbee and drinking beers at white rock lake, and all the other parks just like white rock lake all over the world. when you could drink at the parks. adding rules and sanctions and overview and all that goes against the very thing we were out there in the first place for.