• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Because Twitter is a raging dumpster fire that brings out the absolute worst in people. There are a couple news accounts I check in on but I refuse to log back in and get sucked into the simian poo-flinging that happens in the comments.

I've heard that only 10-15% of people have a Tw account. Yet how many news stories do you hear, "Tw says ..." or "Tw thinks ...". Pretty small group of the population to base your story on. :thmbdown::(:sick::gross:

I am no expert, but does anyone else think that Brodie's form still needs work?

It looks like he's not driving enough through the legs and lower body and is muscling the disc with his core.

It looks like he's not driving enough through the legs and lower body and is muscling the disc with his core.

He throws it a long way, so maybe it doesn't matter, but he looks pretty stiff to me. Maybe he needs to do yoga or something? It seems to be working okay for him, but I kind of think he could take another step up the ladder if he were more fluid.

Pay attention to how Brodie moves around setting up for scramble shots. I suspect his knees are in awful shape.

Good call. That may be the source of what I think I'm seeing.

Still a fit, strong dude who can put some moves on a disc, but with some bad knees that limit full lower-body commit makes a lot of sense.

EDIT: on my PC, works like you said. Not sure why the twit app is such a PITA.

Yeah, the Twitter app on my Android phone sucks. When I refresh it, I get maybe the last hour refreshed. When I get past those new Tweets, it skips back to 24+ hour old posts.

Pay attention to how Brodie moves around setting up for scramble shots. I suspect his knees are in awful shape.

That's too bad. I don't have a strong opinion on him, but I do enjoy seeing good disc golf. He and Ezra have shown a path for late adapters to develop quickly and what natural athletes can do in the sport.

I feel like thats just because of years of playing ultimate where you focus way more on upper body with the throw. In time I think he will break that habit and get his legs more engaged. But he has 500'+ of power and hes not even at his full potential yet, IMO.

That's too bad. I don't have a strong opinion on him, but I do enjoy seeing good disc golf. He and Ezra have shown a path for late adapters to develop quickly and what natural athletes can do in the sport.

He shredded his knees playing Ultimate; that's basically why he quit that sport.

https://medium.com/@jingley22/the-p...odie-smiths-comeback-in-the-audl-23759eedb232

Smith's ascent to the top of his game came to a crushing stall in April of 2012, when Smith tore his meniscus while attempting to catch a soaring disc in the end zone... Smith sat out during both the 2013 and 2014 seasons to allow his knee to heal...Hopes were high for the Wildfire's 2015 season and for Smith's return. In April of that season however, Smith re-injured his knee. This time Smith tore his ACL...

He had at least 3 surgeries on the knees before they forced him out of the game.

It is also of note that in a recent video, both he and Ezra acknowledged that they weren't getting much power from their legs and felt that they could benefit from emulating Dickerson.

Is Brodie finishing high yet or is he still just painfully mediocre?

He's 60th in the world currently, right around guys like Michael Johansen, Zach Melton, and Andrew Fish. His average finish is 42nd and 1017 rated. The only player with a 6 digit PDGA number ranked higher than him is Ezra. So overall, he's a solid player who likely started playing too late to really climb the rankings but who has performed better than most players who started around the same time.
Sources:
https://www.pdga.com/united-states-tour-ranking-open
https://www.pdga.com/player/128378

With 3 holes to go he's having an excellent first round at the DDO. :clap:
Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to string 3 or 4 good rounds together.
With all the OB, I wouldn't think this would be a good course for Brodie, but so far so good. (it is very long though which should suit him)