• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Buzzz SS or Comet (please read the qualification first)

For me the x comet is great for lower speed control shots. Anything within about 40' I turbo putt. If you have baseball players in the group it is not too different than throwing a slider. For me understable fairway driver is best for turbo. For slower arm speed maybe a stratus instead of buzzz?

I generally turn to Comets and the Stratus for mid range introductions to new players. I think the Buzzz SS is pretty similar to a Buzzz for a new player. Understanding the differences should be more valuable than appreciating similarities, IMO.

This.

The Buzzz and Buzzz SS are essentially the same disc for low-power throwers. There isn't enough difference in them that players with minimal skill will see much (if any) change.

That's what I was suspecting. The short answer is no, they probably aren't and so they won't see the difference. I have the much grander vision of trying to use the discs to demonstrate rotational dynamics in my AP physics C course.
That said, I'm also having them try to design and construct a disc launcher with the hopes that we can get better data than with newb arms, but not sure how that will pan out.

What about the Sol? -3 turn should be enough that some of the kids could turn it over.

I personally love the sol, but I didn't actually consider it because the comet seemed to be the popular entry-level midrange. But as much as I love the sol, I think it feels a little strange in hand with a power-grip (not that most people would try ripping a sol). Compared to the buzzz or the comet, the sol has a blunter and narrower rim/wing and feels more like a putter.

I generally turn to Comets and the Stratus for mid range introductions to new players. I think the Buzzz SS is pretty similar to a Buzzz for a new player. Understanding the differences should be more valuable than appreciating similarities, IMO.

Ahhh, the stratus. I totally forgot that one even though one of the most technically gifted players I know uses one with deadly accuracy. Thanks for the tip, I kind of like the idea of the kids starting with roach+stratus and/or buzzz.

Try Champion Panthers, smaller diameter discs are easier for beginners, Buzzz SS and Comets are larger diameter mids.

Between your options I would say Comet, as again I don't think beginners would appreciate the difference between an SS and a B in flight - I can't say I do either TBH.

Had you considered something truly flippy, and maybe a tick faster than the Buzzz? I would recommend some lightweight X Stratuses that might be a little easier to throw than the Buzzz and might also demonstrate HST better than the Comet.

Between your options I would say Comet, as again I don't think beginners would appreciate the difference between an SS and a B in flight - I can't say I do either TBH.

Had you considered something truly flippy, and maybe a tick faster than the Buzzz? I would recommend some lightweight X Stratuses that might be a little easier to throw than the Buzzz and might also demonstrate HST better than the Comet.
I taught my daughter to play with a Stratus as her driver. Her progression was Stratus to Glide to Comet and now the Comet is her go-to. She couldn't throw a Comet early on, but now she throws lazers with it and leans on her mids a lot when she plays. She has a Westside Seer that is about the only "driver" she throws. The Stratus has evolved into her turnover disc, but early on it was about the only disc she could throw decently.

I taught my daughter to play with a Stratus as her driver. Her progression was Stratus to Glide to Comet and now the Comet is her go-to. She couldn't throw a Comet early on, but now she throws lazers with it and leans on her mids a lot when she plays. She has a Westside Seer that is about the only "driver" she throws. The Stratus has evolved into her turnover disc, but early on it was about the only disc she could throw decently.

Makes sense - I think when recommending beginner discs it's important to consider what kind of beginner we're talking about. I took one buddy out with a classic setup of a few putters to try, a DX teebird, a Z buzzz, etc. He's a naturally athletic, lanky guy who has thrown a lot of frisbees, and was keeping up with me off the bat.

On the other hand, if you're taking folks out who are only tangentially interested in the sport or are really just humoring you giving it a try, it's important to put something in their hand that flies straight DESPITE their (lack of) throwing form. Light weight, comfortable, flippy. Not a Z Buzzz.

I would actually look at a driver that you can range and use for FH. Adds a variety to uses and can act as an understable compliment.