• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Buzzz vs. Roc

I'm really liking the KC Pro also. I hit one tree with dx, and it's got a slight crease now. Same tree hit (possibly harder) with pro gave it a slight scratch.

Oh yeah. If you get a good firm KC pro, it's pretty durable. I've been working in my core of rocs and my overstable one has yet to lose any fade and its been in that slot for months now. I've hoarded about 16 of them and now I'm I'm wondering just how long they will last me.....

I really and loving a new shot I've discovered with my beat roc. I've been throwing a bunch if hyzer flip to turnover lines. Really opens a ton of subtle lines.

Rocs have shown me just how impatient I am. WTH? I've had this thing for 3 rounds and I still don't have it beat in???:p

Rocs have shown me just how impatient I am. WTH? I've had this thing for 3 rounds and I still don't have it beat in???:p

That's why it took me so long to try and stick to cycling. This attempt has stuck so far, with my main DX becoming straighter. However, I am cheating using a Stingray as an understable mid lol. Need to add a new DX soon. I also have a 150 class DX Roc that I'll bag some, they are off-the-shelf lineshapers and can go a mile in calm conditions.

As a semi-recent convert from DC mids to Rocs, I'm still surprised at how many times I've bent the rim on my DX back into shape off a tree hit, and it still doesn't turn over at all. It's right where a stock Z Buzzz starts off.

As a semi-recent convert from DC mids to Rocs, I'm still surprised at how many times I've bent the rim on my DX back into shape off a tree hit, and it still doesn't turn over at all. It's right where a stock Z Buzzz starts off.

Yep! Very shapeable. Rocs just rule. I can spout about their greatness all day. I'm blown away by the lack of roc usage in my area. Many, many, many local players carry one or no mids in their bag.

I've noticed the same thing out here and I don't get it.

I've noticed it too. Although I do see some Roc3s. I think it is simply that a Roc is not the "hot new mid" and people love throwing new plastic.

All the new mids on the market are great, but the Roc is classic and I love throwing them.

I recently did the Pepsi challenge with my Z Buzzz, DX Roc, and Star San Marino Roc, throwing them all back to back and experimenting. Well I gotta say that the Roc has not made me a believer. The Buzzz just wins every time. That's not to say that the Roc isn't a good disc, it certainly flies nice and has its uses.

Mainly my discrepancy is the Roc's huge bead. It feels like it gets snagged on my fingers and can easily mess up a throw. Also I have had inconsistent flights out of both Rocs, turning over or just not doing what I want. The Buzzz releases cleanly out of my hand and flies straight and is reliable. I just haven't found a definite place for the Roc in my game. I like to throw it around in the field and it certainly looks great flying through wide open space. However, I'm just not sold on the Roc's mythical greatness. I feel like any disc can be good in the right hands, but for me the Buzzz performs better and is more consistent.

I'll continue experimenting with my Rocs to see if it ever clicks. Right now the Buzzz is just better. I've had numerous runs at the pin with it recently and it just does the trick time and time again. I felt like saying something after a bit of Roc to Buzzz comparison. Although some people say cucumbers taste better pickled :eek:

kc

First off you should have used a heavy stiff kc pro roc instead of dx for comparison, as the Z buzzz is very hard plastic compared to dx.
Second, buzzzes are for lay ups, you won't be able to make great runs at the basket like a kc roc, it just isn't floaty enough.

But to each his own.
I've had 4 buzzzes in the past, I've tried them and threw 'em out.

I recently did the Pepsi challenge with my Z Buzzz, DX Roc, and Star San Marino Roc, throwing them all back to back and experimenting. Well I gotta say that the Roc has not made me a believer. The Buzzz just wins every time. That's not to say that the Roc isn't a good disc, it certainly flies nice and has its uses.

Mainly my discrepancy is the Roc's huge bead. It feels like it gets snagged on my fingers and can easily mess up a throw. Also I have had inconsistent flights out of both Rocs, turning over or just not doing what I want. The Buzzz releases cleanly out of my hand and flies straight and is reliable. I just haven't found a definite place for the Roc in my game. I like to throw it around in the field and it certainly looks great flying through wide open space. However, I'm just not sold on the Roc's mythical greatness. I feel like any disc can be good in the right hands, but for me the Buzzz performs better and is more consistent.

I'll continue experimenting with my Rocs to see if it ever clicks. Right now the Buzzz is just better. I've had numerous runs at the pin with it recently and it just does the trick time and time again. I felt like saying something after a bit of Roc to Buzzz comparison. Although some people say cucumbers taste better pickled :eek:

First off you should have used a heavy stiff kc pro roc instead of dx for comparison, as the Z buzzz is very hard plastic compared to dx.
Second, buzzzes are for lay ups, you won't be able to make great runs at the basket like a kc roc, it just isn't floaty enough.

But to each his own.
I've had 4 buzzzes in the past, I've tried them and threw 'em out.
Well when I initially was looking at Rocs in the store I considered a KC Pro but I just did not like the feel of the plastic. And yes I have made and do make great runs at the basket with the Buzzz. I've made my only ace with it and also a couple fairway aces. I'll continue to use all these discs and only time will tell what comes out on top.

grip

Well when I initially was looking at Rocs in the store I considered a KC Pro but I just did not like the feel of the plastic. And yes I have made and do make great runs at the basket with the Buzzz. I've made my only ace with it and also a couple fairway aces. I'll continue to use all these discs and only time will tell what comes out on top.

the other thing is, you can't (or should not) throw a roc with a power grip like you can with a buzzz, imo.
Buzzz is more driver-like while roc is more putter-like.
Try a hybrid or fan grip with the roc and you may see why the roc rules.

the other thing is, you can't (or should not) throw a roc with a power grip like you can with a buzzz, imo.
Ok :thmbup: I shall make this adjustment and see how it goes. I have only recently been utilizing the fan grip so this will add another dimension to my game.

I disagree. My game got a lot better when I figured out how to get a clean throw with my rocs and wizards using a power grip. If you can't do it, it likely means there's a flaw somewhere in your form. There's nothing wrong with using a different grip (I often use the climo fork grip on slower discs), but you can certainly get perfectly good results with a power grip on rocs.

I disagree. My game got a lot better when I figured out how to get a clean throw with my rocs and wizards using a power grip. If you can't do it, it likely means there's a flaw somewhere in your form. There's nothing wrong with using a different grip (I often use the climo fork grip on slower discs), but you can certainly get perfectly good results with a power grip on rocs.[/QUOTE

I went back to a power grip on my putters and Rocs and have been playing way better with them.

Yeah I disagree greatly. I power-grip my Rocs all the time and crush them.

I don't need distance with my rocs, that's not what I use them for. Fan/hybrid grip maximizes my accuracy with them.
If you are more accurate with a power grip vs fan grip, that's great. I'm the opposite.