• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can We Reach 100 Mph?

I'm under the impression that the ability to throw a baseball 100mph takes a fair amount of genetic luck. Fast twitch muscle fibers are needed and you either have them or you don't. Most people could try their entire life and never throw 100 mph regardless of the training or coaching.

you are all missing the point with baseball pitchers. They have an extra 10" of downward force they can generate throwing downhill

you are all missing the point with baseball pitchers. They have an extra 10" of downward force they can generate throwing downhill

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's the point. 99% of people do not have the physiological ability to throw anything 100mph.... off a 10'' mound or a 10' hill. Those very few that have achieved this feat accomplished it from both a physical gift and years of hard work, training and coaching. The same can be said for most elite achievements in sports.... superfast tennis serves, 75 yard football throws, 300 yard golf drives, 4 minute mile, the list goes on. 99% of people just don't have the physical tools to play any sport on an elite level and those that do push the boundaries of what most people think is physically possible.

Having a hill does help a pitcher, not because of the incline so much as having a pitching rubber dug into it that a pitcher uses to drive his hips against to generate force. Following through on a downslope does likely help generate a few mph, but it's not the difference between 85 and 100. We throw discs down hills all the time, and it may travel farther, but even if you can follow through with a downward motion it doesn't fly faster.

I might be totally misunderstanding this scenario, but I don't think that if pro players through off of an inclined teepad, we'd see disc speed jump up. Anyways it's apples and bananas.

To say never is to deny greatness. To ever see it in my lifetime... I'd bet a month's wages against it... and I don't gamble.

People use to be amazed when someone threw a baseball 65 mph, people were in awe when a man kicked a ball 63 yards. We get better at doing things all the time, it happens when new techniques become the next generation's fundamentals.

People use to be amazed when someone threw a baseball 65 mph, people were in awe when a man kicked a ball 63 yards. We get better at doing things all the time, it happens when new techniques become the next generation's fundamentals.

^^^^^^^ I really don't think that could've been stated even better. I've seen many technique improvements over just the short time I've been playing and I'm sure the guys playing since the beginning of this sport have seen hundreds of technique tweaks and changes to improve on every aspect of driving. It might take some time but I think it will happen.

Not with an ultra high speed driver but I bet somebody in the next ten years will get a Teebird (or something of a similar rim configuration) out to a 100 mph. More genetic freaks are starting to play disc golf every day.

Based on the fact that MLB pitchers can throw a baseball over 100 mph, I'm going to venture that one of them could throw a disc that fast thrown with a similar form and measured at a similar distance.

Also, I bet anyone could throw a disc that fast in a hurricane having winds topping 100 mph.

So never say never.

When has it been an accomplishment to throw a baseball 65 MPH? In 8th grade?

Also I don't think anyone is taking into account the physics. How much drag does a baseball create in comparison to a disc. You don't hear of people throwing a football 100MPH do you?

I wouldn't rule it out, but its not likely.

When has it been an accomplishment to throw a baseball 65 MPH? In 8th grade?

Also I don't think anyone is taking into account the physics. How much drag does a baseball create in comparison to a disc. You don't hear of people throwing a football 100MPH do you?

I wouldn't rule it out, but its not likely.

Brett Favre was clocked throwing a football 104mph while he was playing, I heard. However, when looking at freaks in other sports, the different muscle groups and techniques involved in each sport's throw must be taken into account. This means that you couldn't hand randy johnson a disc and get him to backhand it 100+ mph very easily. I'm not saying he couldn't, but that it would take him a while. Like someone mentioned earlier, if given a disc and told to throw it in the same fashion they do in their own sport, they could possibly do it.

I do believe that someone will eventually top 100mph by backhanding a disc, though.

After 3 months he was throwing longer than you ever will. He decided to play golf and he matched the fastest golf swing. He is just a beast who wants a challenge and will prove to the doubters that he can do it.

I'm pretty sure that's 135KPH, which is a little over 80MPH. That's a big difference.

Also, we are talking about a 25% increase in speed.

this was already said 4 pages ago.

Latest posts