• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you be considered a "Pro" and have 0 Aces?

One of my good friends who is a pro was telling me just the other day that while In a doubles tournament, there was a very easy hole that they both decide just to run at it and ace. What did he do? Ace it. He is professional, but not on the level of the very top. He is more like top 50-60 on the world so I know if he can ace on command essentially, then others pros can as well. The reason they are pros is because of the precise aim they have, so on say a 200 foot hole, they should be able to ace regardless.

To answer your question, yes. But it is hard to believe they would not have aces.

That's all well and good when you have two shots, so that you have less chance of having to make a super long comeback putt for two and even if you do, you will have two chances at it. This would not be a smart strategy in a game because even the top pros playing on the shortest holes are going to miss the ace and blow way past the basket more times than they hit it.

One of my good friends who is a pro was telling me just the other day that while In a doubles tournament, there was a very easy hole that they both decide just to run at it and ace. What did he do? Ace it. He is professional, but not on the level of the very top. He is more like top 50-60 on the world so I know if he can ace on command essentially, then others pros can as well. The reason they are pros is because of the precise aim they have, so on say a 200 foot hole, they should be able to ace regardless.

To answer your question, yes. But it is hard to believe they would not have aces.

Listen around 4:35. The cameraman tells him to run at the pin with a driver.

This would not be a smart strategy in a game because even the top pros playing on the shortest holes are going to miss the ace and blow way past the basket more times than they hit it.

There was actually a backstop, so to speak, on this hole. There would have been no blowing past the basket, it would have stuck in the hill. So, easy ace hole and he did it none the less. :thmbup:

I am ADV with no aces, so I can see having a pro with no actual round aces.

I have blown out people who have over 10+ aces so I am not really concerned about that aspect at all. I would really like to hit an ace pot though:)

My meme was the most interesting man in the world

I don't always throw for aces
But when I do, I rarely end up getting 2s

I am ADV with no aces, so I can see having a pro with no actual round aces.

I have blown out people who have over 10+ aces so I am not really concerned about that aspect at all. I would really like to hit an ace pot though:)

According to your info you've only played for 1.7 years. That really isn't that much time for you to have aced. I would say it's normal. I've seen chuckers get multiple aces in their first year and decent players go almost a decade. It all depends on how often you play, what kind of holes you are playing, how you approach playing a hole and most of all luck.

If I were you, I'd save that first ace for a big ace pot. Way better that way. :hfive:

A local pro told me that once he became pro he didn't ace for a long time, because he started playing for score instead of the ace and possibly out driving the pin and going ob.

To the question I think it's definetly possibly and I would think it'd be awesome especially if the aceless pro won a lot.

yeah the 1.7 is accurate...picked it up pretty quickly. I think it is more about my mentality than anything. I tend to just go for the easy 2 rather than intentionally running at the chains.

Since there is no clear definition on what a pro disc golfer is then I think the better question would be "are there any 1000 rated players who don't have any aces?" - and I would be willing to bet that the answer is no.

And yes, I do understand that a professional is one who makes their living from the sport, and given the difficulty doing that in disc golf I would also say that there are no professional disc golfers rated under 1000....

I haven't hit an ace and I am surely no pro.

Responding to the OP, I think a player could definately play pro without ever hitting an ace... especially if they like donating to the winners ;)

My only ace was during a league night at Flip City, and since I was just playing "week to week" I wasn't an official league member, so I didn't get the ace pot, just 1 dollar for everyone there. I think I got like 34 bucks. I wasn't too disappointed though, as the pot wasn't that big that week.

If I could park every hole I wouldn't care about acing

^ Am I the only one confused by this? I'd rather take a "1" than a "2" any day :)

Even if aces are few and far between, if I could choose between "Birdie/Eagle/Double Eagle" or "ace" I think we all know the logical choice.

Going back to this and taking it to it's logical extreme...

If you chose that way and your opponent chose the other way, you'd always lose to your opponent. He'd shoot a 36 every round and his player rating would be over 1100. He'd win every tournament he played, beat the Champ for most Worlds titles 13 years from now, and MAYBE actually be able to earn a living playing disc golf.

Well maybe not that last bit, but you get my point.

My only ace was during a league night at Flip City, and since I was just playing "week to week" I wasn't an official league member, so I didn't get the ace pot, just 1 dollar for everyone there. I think I got like 34 bucks. I wasn't too disappointed though, as the pot wasn't that big that week.

which hole at flip?

You know, when I posted that page pierces huge ace was luck, I was chastised by everyone, even though I said it was still amazing. Now I see everyone on this thread saying aces are luck and noone is beating them down. What up?

You know, when I posted that page pierces huge ace was luck, I was chastised by everyone, even though I said it was still amazing. Now I see everyone on this thread saying aces are luck and noone is beating them down. What up?

I guess it was just you.

You got robbed,aces pay $5 metal hits only pay$1. At least thats how it's done around here.

I dont think it was WHAT you said about it, but rather, HOW you said it..

Latest posts