• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you use someone else's disc in a tourney?

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
Say I needed a particular disc for a certain shot during a tournament. I don't happen to have that disc in my bag but another in my group does. Can you borrow his disc during tournament play? My dad asked me this question last night so I thought I would post it.

no, it must have a number that corresponds with your ss number and information from your birth certificate. i know this because its my job at tournaments to check these kinds of things.

trust me these guys are lying to you

I have read, possibly in the rulebook, that says you can't add a disc to your bag in the middle of a round, such as going to your car after you lose a disc in water to get a replacement. In between rounds you can change your bag. I don't think it said anything about using a group member's disc, but that would be adding to your bag.

I have read, possibly in the rulebook, that says you can't add a disc to your bag in the middle of a round, such as going to your car after you lose a disc in water to get a replacement. In between rounds you can change your bag. I don't think it said anything about using a group member's disc, but that would be adding to your bag.

I thought that was a rule, I have heard it many times, but the video says that is a common misconception.

The rulebook is easily accessible online (http://www.pdga.com/rules). There is no reason that a literate internet user should carry such a gross 'misconception'. :thmbdown:

when 3 people in your foursome say it's a rule you are left scratching your head thinking, "how did I miss that?" and go along with it.

I am usually the newest guy in the group, I don't question the "rules experts" in my group. it makes for an uncomfortable 18 holes.

That's why every DG'er should carry a printed version in their bag.

I totally agree. Especially for times when people say that you can't step backward when you throw, because that is a falling putt.

I really don't trust that video or the rule book. Have the Village Experts commented on this rule yet?

You didn't read it in the rulebook.

Probably in a myth-promoting forum.

100% False. You can have as many discs as you want, can get them from anywhere, you could find a disc mid-round and start playing with it...as long as you have a way to uniquely identify it..and hopefully it's not already uniquely identified by somebody else.

That's why every DG'er should carry a printed version in their bag.

You get one free when you join, or they cost only 3$ from most DG stores.

\/\/

100% False. You can have as many discs as you want, can get them from anywhere, you could find a disc mid-round and start playing with it...as long as you have a way to uniquely identify it..and hopefully it's not already uniquely identified by somebody else.

i would be very careful about doing that. You could be called for interference for moving another players disc. If I see a disc that someone on our car did not throw during a PDGA, I just leave it there and make a mental note of where it is just incase someone after the round is looking for it.

You don't want to take the chance of finding a disc and picking it up only to find out later that it was a "live" throw.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Latest posts