• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian Disc Golfers Corner or from Canada eh

Yeah, moved out here early 2000s and been here since. Jimmy's is great, and loved Bookers all you can eat crab. Wasn't much of a Boogie person even when I lived in the same neighbourhood as it.

I think the one annoying thing about the snow here from a disc golf perspective is that the chalk on a disc method doesn't really work as the snow is generally too light ans dry. So the disc just buries hardly leaving a trace.

There's an official course in the edge of the city in the SW, and it tends not to be busy. So with some luck it may not be tracked out.

Of course I could just ribbon my discs up, but... I'm a little lazy heh.

cK5zZHY_d.jpg

Well McReady brought this to my attention... isn't it nice premiere Horgan is a discer! We are probably still going to get the Green party in for our riding.

Lol, that's me in the red jacket! Didn't see this thread until now.

Also, the Woman right beside John Horgan holding the green disc is Josie Osborne, the new MLA for Mid Island-Pacific Rim and the new Minister for Municipal Affairs. It was her first time playing, but she's definitely aware her boss likes Disc Golf!

Lol, that's me in the red jacket! Didn't see this thread until now.

Also, the Woman right beside John Horgan holding the green disc is Josie Osborne, the new MLA for Mid Island-Pacific Rim and the new Minister for Municipal Affairs. It was her first time playing, but she's definitely aware her boss likes Disc Golf!

Haha hey red jacket guy!

Do you live up that way? What was the story on the round? Any guy that plays disc is extra alright in my book. Maybe some provincial funding for stuff?

Haha hey red jacket guy!

Do you live up that way? What was the story on the round? Any guy that plays disc is extra alright in my book. Maybe some provincial funding for stuff?

I live in Port Alberni.

In the photo is Premier John Horgan, Minister Josie Osborne and the 6 others were all staff/volunteers on Josie's campaign. The woman taking the selfie used to work at the Legislature and was aware that the Premier played disc golf from this news story:

https://globalnews.ca/video/4434224/b-c-premier-john-horgans-unusual-stress-reducing-hobby

The woman taking the selfie and the campaign manager knew the ins and outs of these media events so they pitched it to the Premier's staff. We didn't have high expectations of it happening. Then we got word that he was coming to Courtenay-Comox for a campaign stop and they found some time for Disc Golf.

We were sending them photos of Coal Creek and Lake Trail, but I guess Village Park worked better for the campaign schedule and bus parking. Premier Horgan only had time for 3 holes, but he seemed genuinely excited to play.

Hopefully there will some funding for courses. The crew in Port Alberni has got a lease for an 18 hole course on some city land that we've been clearing.

Edit: Might as well add a shameless plug. Twin City Brewing in Port Alberni has started selling discs with their logo. If you ever drive to Tofino it's literally one block out of the way as you're passing through Port.

https://order.twincitybrewing.ca/Disc-Golf-Discs-Innova-p268195727

Last edited:
So what's happening out there this month? Pretty slow around these parts.. Lots of disc in the yard with the dog.

I discovered mvp 157g proton ohms at their proshop but I am dissuaded by their shipping. Damn us to canada. Rape Rape!

Oh well scored a 2015 Halloween envy off Canadian disc auctions FB so my need is quenched!

What's happening out there? Our local Pender Classic is cancelled again for the second year running.. Kind of a shame but not complaining looking forward to doing it next year when we are all vaxxed up!

Some kind friends have come out of the woodwork on FB to say hey.. A guy I know from the tourney actually gave me a sweet deal on some old comets, we had a mutual friend set the price haha. I've been looking for an old Saturn stamp for a while.

Still haven't given the Comets a whirl, but plan on grabbing one sometime this Summer. A bit intrigued by what I here.

Warmer/nicer weather is becoming more common so the fair weather disc golf crowd is coming out. Today was a bit of a mad house at the pay course in Calgary here, with a line-up a couple dozen people long. Can't imagine what the inner city public course Baker Park is like. Only found out recently that, based on Udisc stats, that it's the most played course in Canada and 16th most played in the world... Largely owing to the year round traffic it sees.

We had a course closure at David Richardson Memorial this year due to ground work by Atco until it's finished, which is disappointing as it was my most played course last year. It doesn't see a lot of traffic in part due to location (NW edge of city), as well as being hilly and populated by thistle. On top of this, after a few years the Old Refinery still hasn't returned. Apparently the vegetation still hasn't fully settled in yet after land reclamation so they're giving it another year before even daring to mow it. Stopped by last year and the grass was near waist high.

On the bright side, a 9 hole inner city golf course closed a bit ago, and this Summer it's opening up as a disc golf course after city approvals. There will be a grand opening tournament this July so that's pretty exciting! Only wish it was sooner. There was a bit of worry that council would've canned the idea entirely. Glad it didn't end up going to some other sort of real estate and will stay as a course/park.

Still haven't given the Comets a whirl, but plan on grabbing one sometime this Summer. A bit intrigued by what I here.

Warmer/nicer weather is becoming more common so the fair weather disc golf crowd is coming out. Today was a bit of a mad house at the pay course in Calgary here, with a line-up a couple dozen people long. Can't imagine what the inner city public course Baker Park is like. Only found out recently that, based on Udisc stats, that it's the most played course in Canada and 16th most played in the world... Largely owing to the year round traffic it sees.

Hey I love me some Calgary action, I was there for 10yrs, didn't play much disc though, just enough to get a buddy into it though! Too much time working in the Mac...

I'm glad to hear they've made a bunch more courses!

So I shipped my first FB sale out east, guy says thanks.. He's waiting for a stay at home order to get lifted. :eek:

My heart goes out to all of you in Ontario stuck inside on this fine day. Damn I didn't think that would mean disc golf!

So I shipped my first FB sale out east, guy says thanks.. He's waiting for a stay at home order to get lifted. :eek:

My heart goes out to all of you in Ontario stuck inside on this fine day. Damn I didn't think that would mean disc golf!

Haven't been able to visit my folks back in NS due to the logistics of vacation time and quarantine length. A little unfortunate as there's a course near where they live, and one even popped up in my hometown I grewup in... At least 20 years too late heh.

Buddy is heading out to Vancouver Island mid-Summer to likewise visit his folks. Apparently there is a metric ton of courses around there? At least according to him.

Really need to play more courses outside of Alberta. My first time playing was in Kamloops, which had a number of courses. But since, it's just been here.

Here in Ontario, we've resorted to setting up a practice basket in a park, inventing new layouts throwing to trees, and a private course or two still allowing small by appointment rounds. It makes no sense why disc golf isn't being allowed right now, but with only one 18 hole course in our county we are all being very careful not to be playing there. Pray for us eh?

Here in Ontario, we've resorted to setting up a practice basket in a park, inventing new layouts throwing to trees, and a private course or two still allowing small by appointment rounds. It makes no sense why disc golf isn't being allowed right now, but with only one 18 hole course in our county we are all being very careful not to be playing there. Pray for us eh?

Hang in there, SW. Rules and laws are made to protect the ignorant. Frustrating as can be for the caring and responsible. The numbers will start to come down for a while and golf will be back on the agenda. Stay safe.

Haven't been able to visit my folks back in NS due to the logistics of vacation time and quarantine length. A little unfortunate as there's a course near where they live, and one even popped up in my hometown I grewup in... At least 20 years too late heh.

Buddy is heading out to Vancouver Island mid-Summer to likewise visit his folks. Apparently there is a metric ton of courses around there? At least according to him.

Really need to play more courses outside of Alberta. My first time playing was in Kamloops, which had a number of courses. But since, it's just been here.

Hey I sent a couple discs to antigonish yesterday.. My grandad was stationed there working on a secret radar station during WWII.

There's a bunch of DG on Vancouver Island, a car would definitely help to get around to them. Theres a few up island towards Nanaimo / Courtenay. Even more DG in Vancouver too. Two over here, one on Mayne island...

Kamloops is good but I haven't played for years up there, Logan Lake just south "Copper Ridge" is a real favourite of mine.

Well it looks like Glen Whitlock has been inducted into the DG Hall of Fame!!!!!

He's more than deserving, a low key icon up here (Canada), super mellow guy, great to play with. FH/BH/Freestyle/ left or right handed.... I can't say enough nice stuff about him.. Real happy I got a "Guru Glen" Whitler to sit on my shelf so we can hang out haha.

I love watching some of the freestyle videos that get posted from time to time the guy is "old school awesome" . Saw one the other day where he did a run up and threw a backwards overhead (overhand?) drive 300' with some lid. Crazy dude, just crazy.

Last edited:
FWIW Glen Whitlock was real big on the Wombat last time I saw him.. Up at my place... finally!!! after like 8yrs haha snob :D

I think I beat him but we weren't counting strokes, and NOT playing for money.. Haha that's always a factor that cuts into the fun. Friggin super puppy and other way out of date and out of print plastic. Great times, great times. He was a super cool dude when I was a total am, can't say enough about how much of a "stereotypical" good disc golfer he is. Just a cool dude that loves it

Last edited:
Hey I sent a couple discs to antigonish yesterday.. My grandad was stationed there working on a secret radar station during WWII.

There's a bunch of DG on Vancouver Island, a car would definitely help to get around to them. Theres a few up island towards Nanaimo / Courtenay. Even more DG in Vancouver too. Two over here, one on Mayne island...

Kamloops is good but I haven't played for years up there, Logan Lake just south "Copper Ridge" is a real favourite of mine.

I actually lived in Antigonish for about 2 years. Nice place, although I was in a demographic deadzone at the time pretty much. During the school year half the town will be university students (5000 or so), and the rest standard older rural Nova Scotia ages. Not that I didn't get along with people in the town, but from a dating perspectice wasn't spectacular.

Played a course out in Canmore at the Nordic Center a couple weeks ago. Was pleased they got rid of those saucer/funnel type of baskets and replaced with nice full size chained ones, with the addition of next tee direction signs. Really neat wooded course that runs along a biathlon/cross country skiing track. Everytime our group has gone out we've found at least 2 discs (7 in 3 trips). Owners for marked ones were fortunately in Calgary. Mix forest and mountainside play and you can see how discs can get lost frequently there.

Think I pulled something in the arm from throwing tomahawks out of tough spots. A throw I don't practice at all, so was experimenting. As a result will likely take it easy this weekend, as it feels slightly off in the shoulder still. Will likely just do some light putting practice, but no courses or field work otherwise.

Anyone else find that playing their local league/popular course has become nearly impossible as of late?

Restrictions keep loosening up here in Alberta and honestly, I'm getting to the point of buying my own land and building an "invite only" course ��

How many other courses do you have near you?

Anyone else find that playing their local league/popular course has become nearly impossible as of late?

Restrictions keep loosening up here in Alberta and honestly, I'm getting to the point of buying my own land and building an "invite only" course ��

How many other courses do you have near you?

A buddy and I today were talking about winning the lottery and buying a brewery and a plot of land to install a course heh

Anything remotely central in the city will have a number of people it seems. Don't do leagues so can't say how much they're impacted. The popular one in Calgary, Baker, will have you on a conveyer belt pretty much anytime of day aside from early morning.

Calgary - Ones I've been to:
  • Baker Park (busy)
  • David Richardson (Closed due to Atco and pipeline installation)
  • Thorncliffe - Outside of league nights, can sometimes be dead but numbers can change rapidly.
  • Forest Lawn - Usually fairly okay outside of league days. Haven't been in a bit so more people might be showing up.
  • Old Refinery - Still closed due to land rehabilitation
  • Bonavista - Straight forward 9 hole course by a ballfield
  • Lloyd Lake - Private course at SW city edge. $5 a day, or $35 (may be less) for a year. Nice course.

We have a new course coming in July, which I'm stoked about. There are other courses in gated communities, and there might be some small courses I'm missing in there.

Just played a new course today in Priddis, which is near Calgary. Normally a memberhsip course but they had a public day ($10 a person), and you book a tee time. Beautiful course, and a lot of fun to play. Lots of elevation based play and wooded holes. Membership fee is $75 for the year, and $5 to bring a guest. Debating a membership right now, but it's also a 40 minute drive when Lloyd Lake is 10 minutes closer.

I can't imagine that course gets too busy if the public numbers were anything to go by. The tee times would help regardless, which are spaced 20 minutes apart.

A buddy and I today were talking about winning the lottery and buying a brewery and a plot of land to install a course heh

Anything remotely central in the city will have a number of people it seems. Don't do leagues so can't say how much they're impacted. The popular one in Calgary, Baker, will have you on a conveyer belt pretty much anytime of day aside from early morning.

Calgary - Ones I've been to:
  • Baker Park (busy)
  • David Richardson (Closed due to Atco and pipeline installation)
  • Thorncliffe - Outside of league nights, can sometimes be dead but numbers can change rapidly.
  • Forest Lawn - Usually fairly okay outside of league days. Haven't been in a bit so more people might be showing up.
  • Old Refinery - Still closed due to land rehabilitation
  • Bonavista - Straight forward 9 hole course by a ballfield
  • Lloyd Lake - Private course at SW city edge. $5 a day, or $35 (may be less) for a year. Nice course.

We have a new course coming in July, which I'm stoked about. There are other courses in gated communities, and there might be some small courses I'm missing in there.

Just played a new course today in Priddis, which is near Calgary. Normally a memberhsip course but they had a public day ($10 a person), and you book a tee time. Beautiful course, and a lot of fun to play. Lots of elevation based play and wooded holes. Membership fee is $75 for the year, and $5 to bring a guest. Debating a membership right now, but it's also a 40 minute drive when Lloyd Lake is 10 minutes closer.

I can't imagine that course gets too busy if the public numbers were anything to go by. The tee times would help regardless, which are spaced 20 minutes apart.

Rundle in Edmonton is RIDICULOUS too, I've seen horror stories from Baker recently.

I've taken to hitting up Middle Earth, Drayton Valley, and Eagles Landing just to get the heck away from everyone.

Latest posts