• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian Disc Golfers Corner or from Canada eh

I did not know where to necessarily post this. Living on a border, we have been anguished with the inability to go to Canada, at all. I run a league and wanted to give a shout out to esdubya.

We decided to have a few league nights with a foreign country CTP night. We reached out to several clubs across the globe, offering to swap some club gear and interesting cultural goodies. The idea would be to have a Finnish disc golf night, or whatever. We had only Iceland come back with some stuff and are having and Icelandic Night soon. esdubya, from here, was kind enough to hook us up with some Canadian swag for our upcoming Canadian Night. We are hoping to ultimately put together a Can/Am type tourney/league night, to challenge our Windsorian (?) brethren.

You are an ambassador, Scott. Thanks and hope to see you soon. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I did not know where to necessarily post this. Living on a border, we have been anguished with the inability to go to Canada, at all. I run a league and wanted to give a shout out to esdubya.

We decided to have a few league nights with a foreign country CTP night. We reached out to several clubs across the globe, offering to swap some club gear and interesting cultural goodies. The idea would be to have a Finnish disc golf night, or whatever. We had only Iceland come back with some stuff and are having and Icelandic Night soon. esdubya, from here, was kind enough to hook us up with some Canadian swag for our upcoming Canadian Night. We are hoping to ultimately put together a Can/Am type tourney/league night, to challenge our Windsorian (?) brethren.

You are an ambassador, Scott. Thanks and hope to see you soon. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

HEY! Wow I never saw this until now. I'm lucky because I work in the US so it wasn't hard to ship the stuff over. HOWEVER our league has no stock to I really had to dig for some swag.

I actually came on here to post about my new disc golf business.

I've developed a pretty sweet disc golf storage system, for sale NOW in Canada. Check er out eh!

https://www.ripplediscs.com/

IMG_2547.jpg

Looks like a good idea! I like the repurposed/recycling of stuff as well! Obviously from looking at the photo it doesn't immediately appear to be gyro compatible.... :D I feel left out.

Where do my fellow Canadians find the best location is to find lighter discs? I'm looking to lighten up aspects of my bag, but the usual standins I can find tend to be DX plastic options. Innova in general seems a bit easier to find.

I typically hit up AceRunners or Disc Republic for my discs, but was curious if there was a retailer North of the border that was more reliable with lighter discs? South of the border isn't bad, but the shipping rates can be annoying. I'm still open to Southern sources if the selection for lighter discs is that much easier to find.

Of course it could just all be down to the disc economy at present, and I may just need to bear it for a bit.

Really wish more online retailers incorporated weight search options.

Played in the Currie Classic here in Calgary this weekend. Apparently the area is sort of on a watch list, so they're looking to get the traffic to keep this as a permanent course. It's not fully opened yet, they were playing around with OB lines (played as hazards for now?) and what not at the time, converting the space from a 9-hole golf course to disc golf (21 hole). Half the holes are in wooded areas so it was a good solid mix of play styles. More over, it puts a course within 10 minutes of me.

Not having played actual tournaments and what not yet, this was the first time playing something with heavy amounts of penalty space. Was fun since it wasa new experience. Hope I can get in there sooner than later.

Joined the city club to get in on the action and support the cause. Wasn't sure what to make of the club experience before getting in, but it was a blast. I'll probably look into the other scheduled events. Have only been playing with my buddies up to this point.

Sorry man I got no other resources for ya for buying... Is the course around the old Currie barracks/ Marda loop area?

Ran into other conversations since saying anything outside of the 165-175 is a crap shoot in general with everything going on right now. So I really can't expect North of the border to be better.

Yeah, it's just north of the barracks, just in the armpit of Crowchild and 33rd Ave. Tennis courts and ball diamonds in the area as well, and it looks like the diamonds are on the slate to be developed based on talk I've seen. I'm not too familiar with the details, but in general a loss of rec space is generally not a win in my mind.

Hope you're staying cool out there. Not sure how brave you're being regarding playing. Although a heavily shaded course is likely ideal place to be.

Where do my fellow Canadians find the best location is to find lighter discs? I'm looking to lighten up aspects of my bag, but the usual standins I can find tend to be DX plastic options. Innova in general seems a bit easier to find.

Hey, not sure if this fits exactly with what you are looking for, but I noticed the same thing about a year ago and I've been taking steps to rectify the situation! I recently posted a lightweight starter pack for Canadian disc golfers on my newly launched website. This pack consists of a custom stamped Gateway Wizard, Element and mini marker. I hope to offer more lightweight options in the future as part of my mission is to help the sport grow with children, women and seniors, all who would desire discs on the lightweight end of the spectrum. Check it out, eh?

Hey, not sure if this fits exactly with what you are looking for, but I noticed the same thing about a year ago and I've been taking steps to rectify the situation! I recently posted a lightweight starter pack for Canadian disc golfers on my newly launched website. This pack consists of a custom stamped Gateway Wizard, Element and mini marker. I hope to offer more lightweight options in the future as part of my mission is to help the sport grow with children, women and seniors, all who would desire discs on the lightweight end of the spectrum. Check it out, eh?

Thank you for the heads-up! Specifically, I'm trying to find some lighter versions/equivalents of OS fairway drivers in my bag. E.g. Volt and a Lat64 XXX.

I'm surprised Gateway makes lighter mids. They're usually 180g max weight discs when I run into them. The only disc I permanently lost was a Gateway Scout and it was 180g.

I'll be grabbing a container or two here shortly (one for a friend, don't need a second yet haha). Sort of just sitting on the shelf currently.

Hope you're staying cool out there. Not sure how brave you're being regarding playing. Although a heavily shaded course is likely ideal place to be.

We got all our shots, our community is pretty small, I'm a tradesman so playing is the least of my contact concerns haha.

I play every day at least 5 holes usually just 9 though to exercise the dog. Played 18 on the Sunday with the league boys, the heat kept all the less hardcore throwers away. Real cool, small group of eight. We played in one group since we're all shotted up. Real good times! Just like the old days!

Of course it was at my place, I played em hardcore, 3 discs and partner and I got 1st... taking a page out of JC's book, two yellow envy's and a volt. -15. No field or real aces but some ones that were damn close!

And I see some available online... Thank you!

Stupid question I guess but have you checked for a fission volt? There's a bunch around at 164 but maybe that's not light enough. Ha I jumped on a FB auction and grabbed a 162 used Volt for $20 so I get the couple grams..

FWIW the fission tesla (and photon) is good and gets down to 145g, light neutrons I think can do 157g. Plasma also but they're ridiculous meathook, or the two pinks I had were.

Stupid question I guess but have you checked for a fission volt? There's a bunch around at 164 but maybe that's not light enough. Ha I jumped on a FB auction and grabbed a 162 used Volt for $20 so I get the couple grams..

FWIW the fission tesla (and photon) is good and gets down to 145g, light neutrons I think can do 157g. Plasma also but they're ridiculous meathook, or the two pinks I had were.

Despite having a few MVP discs, such as Volt, Servo, and an Inspire (I'm throwing Axiom into there), the nature of their plastics I'm not familiar with. i.e. I was unaware that fission is generally their lighter plastic, the retailers I use list weights but I never made the connection.

I had to chuckle a bit when I read your post. Last week I found someone's lost mini on a course. On this mini was a disc retailer I hadn't heard of (JK discs) based out of Strathmore just east of Calgary. Saw a couple things I liked and the discs came in yesterday after a weekend order. Namely a Fission Volt (157g), and a pink/yellow mixed colour Plasma Photon (157g).

Admittedly a bit discouraged by the meathook comment. Was hoping for something that flew a bit similar to a friend's g-star Wraith, but wanted an MVP disc. Haven't thrown it yet, but will see where it fits later and see how aggressive it wants to fade out.

Was playing at a local 9 hole here at Thorncliffe today, which can be a deceptively difficult course at first glance (especially taking note of where OB tends to be regarding trees and bushes). A lot of clockwise progression around the course which is sort of in a valley. Baskets are generally on the valley slopes, so uneven putting stances and a roll away threat to always consider. Brought only my putters to focus on putting and my approach game.

Admittedly a bit discouraged by the meathook comment. Was hoping for something that flew a bit similar to a friend's g-star Wraith, but wanted an MVP disc. Haven't thrown it yet, but will see where it fits later and see how aggressive it wants to fade out.

Hey I have only thrown plasma teslas that were meathook.. Did the photon work out any better? Great hammer disc though! Gave one to my buddy and he can hammer the he'll out of that thing OH!

I'm going to hold my other as a wind/Oh/ pond disc.

Got a sparkle proton flat as a board tesla as well... it's a little more workable. I knew what I was in for but I couldn't resist a sparkle proton pfn.

FWIW if I have a 165 volt neutron it's equivalent is somewhere around about a 162 fission. Seems like fission is a touch more stable at the same weight, but they break in faster than N.

Hey I have only thrown plasma teslas that were meathook.. Did the photon work out any better? Great hammer disc though! Gave one to my buddy and he can hammer the he'll out of that thing OH!

I'm going to hold my other as a wind/Oh/ pond disc.

Got a sparkle proton flat as a board tesla as well... it's a little more workable. I knew what I was in for but I couldn't resist a sparkle proton pfn.

FWIW if I have a 165 volt neutron it's equivalent is somewhere around about a 162 fission. Seems like fission is a touch more stable at the same weight, but they break in faster than N.

Had a chance to throw the plasma photon more and wasn't as bad as I feared intially. Still a bit beefy, but it can hold a straight line for a good distance and doesn't dump too hard. Faired quite well in the headwinds, and seems like it might be a fun flex disc although I don't do much in the way of flex lines usually. Hopefully if the photon beats in a bit, it will get in a nice middle spot.

The proton volt I had dumped harder than the photon, but the fission volt has been great. Have been enjoying on certain forehand shots and the lighter weight doesn't seem to strain me like the heavier proton version I had did.

Disc golf buddies are out of town for awhile, so left to my own devices. Can get in some scoreless rounds where I don't have friends pressuring me about my game haha. Work on some technique, relax a bit, and can get some extra field work in without feeling I'm overdoing it.

Neighbour spotted a course being installed not too far away near some tennis courts. Wasn't clear whether it will be object or baskets, but something new to check out. Googling indicated 16 holes potentially. Glad to see Calgary looking into additional uses for its park space, particularly some that seem a bit out of the way of the more populated parks.

The proton volt I had dumped harder than the photon, but the fission volt has been great. Have been enjoying on certain forehand shots and the lighter weight doesn't seem to strain me like the heavier proton version I had did.

Hey I am also enjoying a volt revival, I got a fission 162 and neutron 165 both domey. Goddamn it's nice to be back in the saddle with those!!!!! :D

Hey I am also enjoying a volt revival, I got a fission 162 and neutron 165 both domey. Goddamn it's nice to be back in the saddle with those!!!!! :D

The Volt is the only disc I've struggled to have only the one in the bag. The plasma Volt I thought would leave my bag, but sidearm flicks that I want to skip the fission just is not aggressive enough.

Good news, apparently 3 new tonal courses popped up around the city. One a few minute bike ride away. Bad news it's in a very shared space. Some of the holes buried behind baseball diamonds and tennis courts, but then the course opens up a bit. However, this means fitness classes, picnics, and even people playing any variation of footy. Was an exercise in frustration when it comes to throwing anything.

However, come the colder months I foresee some better use of them. So I'm excited they're still there. Will also be a great place for field work that I didn't realize was that nearby.

One of the three is out of the way and will check that one out this weekend likely. Anyway, really appreciate what the Calgary club has been doing.

Friends got back form a BC trip. Talked a lot about some courses "hidden" around Maple Bay area? Trying to recall all the course names they mentioned. Apparently some tight courses that have a lot of fun with elevation around there.

Greetings from the flatlands!

I concur with the opinion that the Fission Tesla is more stable than Neutron. Some of J.C.'s Volts are max-weight Fission, which I didn't even know existed until I saw him throw them.

As far as finding lightweight plastic up here on the regular, good luck. Jason picked my brain last summer when he started stocking Disc Republic, so he had a goodly amount of it, but now it's hit and miss. Just keep grinding through auction sites, D.R., AceRunners, and any others you can find until the supply chain sorts itself out.

Played NOC in T-Bay and had a blast (awesome courses & people), Sask Open/Provincials is up this weekend and should be as well.

Greetings from the flatlands!

I concur with the opinion that the Fission Tesla is more stable than Neutron. Some of J.C.'s Volts are max-weight Fission, which I didn't even know existed until I saw him throw them.

As far as finding lightweight plastic up here on the regular, good luck. Jason picked my brain last summer when he started stocking Disc Republic, so he had a goodly amount of it, but now it's hit and miss. Just keep grinding through auction sites, D.R., AceRunners, and any others you can find until the supply chain sorts itself out.

Played NOC in T-Bay and had a blast (awesome courses & people), Sask Open/Provincials is up this weekend and should be as well.

Yeah AR and DR are staple stores.. Just got a se hex from AR today, that makes 3... I'm good unless I spot a rainbow foil. Life's too short for boring discs. I got a solid stockpile, usually 3+ +:) +++:D of anything I throw.

Tesla's are weird ducks, it's all about the dome, board flat is beefy. Whether proton, fission or neutron board flat fades hardest. Plasma's are crazy nuts stable. I've got at least a half dozen, but yeah I concur neutron is the mildest generally.

Is that the tournament in Millet? Wait that was Melville haha AB flashback. I helped fundraise for that, note to others haha a sandwich mini is not as cheap to ship as a disc, lay em flat. How I took a bath financially. Think it was $10 instead of four stamps...

Actually still waiting for a custom dye Walter "Mark it Zero" done on a lucid bounty from that. I guess I will be throwing a bounty. Sounds Comet-y but I went on a mid bender :D :D got a bunch of new ones to check out. Ha couple fundraiser actions, honestly I've got my hands full with a Hex.

And hey bruisedooze good to hear about Cow-town!!! Always appreciate that, I'm way overdo to see friends!

Latest posts