• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Can't figure out the last spot in my bag....driving putter

Qstick333

Birdie Member
My bag is perfect (for me :D ) except for one spot - the driving putter or upshots with a headwind.

I putt with McPro Aviar's and also use a separate McPro for upshots. For me and my style, I love it for anything less then a full power throw, or a throw into a headwind. It has a dependable, but controllable fade and I am always confident about the distance it will fly, etc...

When thrown full power or into a headwind, it turns over and I will often throw a mid range with a lesser power level instead. Perhaps this is the normal adjustment that people make? I've never really thought about it, but I have noticed a need for something in this spot over several rounds. I'd prefer it not to be a meathook, just something dependable. Maybe I should stick to powering down mids here?

I would also like to stay with a premium plastic. I'm not into cycling and I would like to be able to throw skips into hardpan, mini-spike's, etc... without fear of changing the flight. With the McPro's...while they are durable, I sometimes worry about a major impact. They are quite firm and seem to lose chunks with great ease.

I've thought about an Opto Pure, but have read that they are sneaky long and don't need to carry a 4th mid. I've also thought about a P2, but have no real world experience.

I'm open to suggestions, comments, etc...

Thanks!

I'm sure I won't be the only one to think this. It sounds like the issue is with your form, not with the putter. If you're turning over an Aviar you're definitely going to turn over a Pure. I love my Opto Pures for driving because they fly like a Leopard for me. Put some anny on them and they'll track right, they're good hyzer flippers, and the fade is minimal. I use Aviars for a slightly more stable drive. So if you're turning over an Aviar, then maybe you should just work with what you already have for a while. Or maybe try a KC. Slightly less glide than the McPro, but great driving putters too.

If you don't find beads, althought you probably do considering your choice of mcpros, I would recommend a nice champ rhyno. They are super stable but not real overstable. Very little speed, very little glide, eats headwinds, hits and sits.

While i don't disagree at all with what B-mart is saying, this is a very easy choice.. if you like big bead deep dish putters-- MVP Ion.

Faster, sleeker feeling putter-- Axiom Envy.

No other putters old up to as much power on a straight line IMO. I mash on ions all day and they fly stupid stable with a good hit. Envy will be more forgiving and slightly more overstable. THe premium plastic will make these discs easier to drive as well than a DX putter over the long term.

Skip shots are not really something you use a putter for-- that's why you drive a putter :D so yes, in that case power down a mid or fairway. Nothing wrong with throwing a fairway driver at 275' if its the best disc for the shot.

I'm sure I won't be the only one to think this. It sounds like the issue is with your form, not with the putter. If you're turning over an Aviar you're definitely going to turn over a Pure. I love my Opto Pures for driving because they fly like a Leopard for me. Put some anny on them and they'll track right, they're good hyzer flippers, and the fade is minimal. I use Aviars for a slightly more stable drive. So if you're turning over an Aviar, then maybe you should just work with what you already have for a while. Or maybe try a KC. Slightly less glide than the McPro, but great driving putters too.

Maybe I am doing something funky. I throw Comets, Valks, etc... and seem to control them ok, but that isn't to say I am not the problem. Maybe I grip it oddly, don't know. I will reevaluate myself a bit. Even if that is true, I would still like something more durable so I don't worry about wear.

I would look into the sinus, spike, envy. for upshots my envy is the go to disc no question, it will hold and anny, hyzer, spike or skip. rolls great, scoobys great. it is a very useful disc. I agree with aim the ion is great too.

Last edited:
If you don't find beads, althought you probably do considering your choice of mcpros, I would recommend a nice champ rhyno. They are super stable but not real overstable. Very little speed, very little glide, eats headwinds, hits and sits.

I don't mind beads...I throw COmets and Wasps, both have a bead.

Try out the big bead aviar its in so many plastics now kc,jk,yeti,gstar,etc. i like the yeti it has grip and its stiffer than the jk. I have really been liking the jk aviar but in the heat it can be almost too soft for my tastes so i carry a yeti and jk now even tho they fly similarly. Dont worry about the jk breaking in too fast either i thought mine would be flippy quick and after much abuse it has just about lost its fade and is lazer straight now. The yeti also will last u a long time mine was bought used and a light weight 165 and its lasted a year as my goto putter for driving and hasnt changed a bit

Rhyno, PA1 or a Medium Sinus
The PA1 will give you a little more stability than an Aviar.
The Sinus will give you an overstable flight and stick where it lands.
Rhyno is about the same as the sinus, but with a thumbtrack.

Last edited:
Envy is the best overstable driving putter I've tried. The P2 flies ok but is dreadfully uncomfortable in my hand. Premium rhyno lack glide and have ugly dumping fade (for me).

The Envy tears wind apart and doesn't flip. Unless it's a nice heavy wind, in which case it may drift right a bit.

I'm throwing it with 250-300 ft of power so YMMV

Opto Pure .. my personal favorite is the Legend Clutch .. now i do agree that the Pure can be sneaky long but they are just so friggen sweet lol .. if you already like the McPro i would prob find something in the Aviar family but im weird that way .. KC Pro Aviar or like you mentioned the P2 could work perfectly for this slot

Last edited:
The P2 is basically a McPro Aviar and comes in various plastics, since your used to McPros it would be comfortable.

Yeah, except a Beaver isn't overstable. It's about as neutral as you're going to get.

OP, try a DGA Breaker. It's basically a less OS Zone. Beefy rim and super predictable.

throw it on hyzer and its staying on hyzer

Latest posts