• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] CD3 Incoming!

Discmania is loving that -1/2 turn/fade spot right now. CD2, CD, DDx, and now the CD3. It's a little interesting that this is the spot in their lineup they chose since the others are already so similar in both flight and speed. But in fairness to Discmania this feeling of them being redundant is a sign of how well they've done in the past with their mold setup for the most part. The fact that they made some of their discs so versatile that they can cover a lot of shots is a great thing. I mean a moderately armed player could cover all their driver shots with the FD, FD2, FD3, CD2, and PD if they so desired (and could probably even get away without an FD2). That's how versatile the molds are and how well they have done at releasing discs in the right area. I guess every company gets to this point where you start to feel like they are making extremely similar discs though.

I mean a moderately armed player could cover all their driver shots with the FD, FD2, FD3, CD2, and PD if they so desired (and could probably even get away without an FD2).

I use a Sexton Firebird instead of a FD3, but I run this basic setup. C-Line and Metalflake FDs for stable to overstable, S-Line for stable to understable, and G-Line for rollers, skip the FD2 (I use Eagles) Then CD2s, PDs, DDx, TDs. Most of my drivers are Discmania now. I'm betting that if the CD3 turns out, it will likely replace my DDxs since the DDx tends to have a bit of a dumpy fade... I'm sure I could swap the Eagles for FD2s and Sexybird for FD3. But why would I want to? :D

I'd be interested to try a CD3, especially if available in S-line.

I currently throw star Wraiths for all of my distance slots, but would be willing to try a slight mold variant to see how it fits into the cycle.

Has anyone successfully worked similar Innova and Discmania options side-by-side in their bags? Or does that turn out to be too much overlap?

I use a Sexton Firebird instead of a FD3,... I'm sure I could swap the Eagles for FD2s and Sexybird for FD3. But why would I want to? :D

Because Paul McBeth is using the FD3 now! :D

Just kidding. But McBeast using the FD3 is going to increase its popularity.

I currently throw star Wraiths for all of my distance slots, but would be willing to try a slight mold variant to see how it fits into the cycle.

Has anyone successfully worked similar Innova and Discmania options side-by-side in their bags? Or does that turn out to be too much overlap?

Does the Roc3 and MD3 count. I use the MD3 of the tee amd FH but I use the Roc3 BH and for approaches. I used the FD2 as well as the TeeBird for a little while but the FD2 beat in too quickly.

Yeah, I like his (dana?) commentary. But his form his horrible. I think I could help with that but it would require a complete retool and commitment on his part to tweak out those inconsistencies of his that limit his ability to throw with more fluid motion.

Yeah, I like his (dana?) commentary. But his form his horrible.

I'll still take that over the slew of DM guys that immediately put out a video w three tosses (into the sun against a field of snow on an extreme hyzer line that you can only see the last 15 ft of flight) and then proceed to give you a definitive judgement on the flight of the disc.

^I certainly hope that is not referring to me. My m.o. is to get out the video fairly soon, because I dont have the means to post produce the heck out of it anyways. I am just one guy, rocking a smart phone on a mini tripod and relying on youtube for editing. I try to shoot in high res so that you can at least see the disc (or where it hits when it lands). Being in Finland this early in the year really restricts places where to throw and film.

I have never pretended to give a definitive judgement on a disc. And have been candid about being a average thrower maxing out at 350 or so, so YMMV. But I think a whole big group of AM players are in that exact spot, so for them the disc should fly pretty much the same (as opposed to seeing a pro throw it and then guessing what it might fly like for them)

Not trying to sound defensive but that comment did rub me the wrong way. Not sure if you are referring to the media partners or just independent youtubers with the "slew of DM guys" comment. I am at least doing the best I can with what little resources I have.

Oh, and I would much rather have Danas horrible form that gets him to nearly 1000 rated, than my own horrible form that gets me nowhere :D

I'll still take that over the slew of DM guys that immediately put out a video w three tosses (into the sun against a field of snow on an extreme hyzer line that you can only see the last 15 ft of flight) and then proceed to give you a definitive judgement on the flight of the disc.

Speaking from experience, making a review is not as intuitive as one might believe. Until you have gone out and done it please don't criticize the efforts of others. We are all just doing our best to help spread the word about DM and do not all have the means to make professional level videos.

Speaking from experience, making a review is not as intuitive as one might believe. Until you have gone out and done it please don't criticize the efforts of others. We are all just doing our best to help spread the word about DM and do not all have the means to make professional level videos.

Making a good disc review requires so many things. I think that's why everyone loved Mike C's reviews so much. A couple of things are really important

1) Decent camera. It's difficult to actually track a disc golf shot..I mean, there are times that the pros (CCDG/SpinTV/Marty/Jomez) have a hard time really tracking a shot and they are all seasoned professionals with great cameras!

2) Decent lighting/terrain. It's hard to find the perfect sunlight and terrain for those perfect tracking shots

3) Expectations. everyone know Mike C bombed so they had a point of reference, they knew he could throw a quasar 550 so when he threw a volt 450 that meant something to them.

4) Willingness. These pros have other jobs! They don't get paid for reviews!

I love the reviews, keep up the good work. Not to say there isn't room for feedback, but I think it should be directed practical feedback if given.

^I certainly hope that is not referring to me. My m.o. is to get out the video fairly soon, because I dont have the means to post produce the heck out of it anyways. I am just one guy, rocking a smart phone on a mini tripod and relying on youtube for editing. I try to shoot in high res so that you can at least see the disc (or where it hits when it lands). Being in Finland this early in the year really restricts places where to throw and film.

I have never pretended to give a definitive judgement on a disc. And have been candid about being a average thrower maxing out at 350 or so, so YMMV. But I think a whole big group of AM players are in that exact spot, so for them the disc should fly pretty much the same (as opposed to seeing a pro throw it and then guessing what it might fly like for them)

Not trying to sound defensive but that comment did rub me the wrong way. Not sure if you are referring to the media partners or just independent youtubers with the "slew of DM guys" comment. I am at least doing the best I can with what little resources I have.

Oh, and I would much rather have Danas horrible form that gets him to nearly 1000 rated, than my own horrible form that gets me nowhere :D

I really appreciate commentary from players more on the common level. I love Eagle and Simon, but how a disc flies for them will never compare to anything that we can do. Their in-the-bag videos are fun, but my Swirly Hypno-Huk PD2 will never make my bag. So, seeing a disc fly for the Finnish Discmaniac with the best accent ever is a great contrast of viewpoint. :D

I have gotten to the point where if I don't see a tall tree line in the background, I don't even watch because I know I will not see the disc fly.

The vid you posted was pretty decent, and I thought it was obvious I wasn't describing that vid.

I've previously made a lot of Youtube vids, but this was years ago when decent HD camera equipment was probably less useful than the iPhone. Try filming motorcycle vlogs at 65mph+ with a camera in your facemask that you needed to turn on/off with your tongue, lol.
I've used the iPhone to film discs and its super easy, but you need to keep a few things in mind.

The bottom line is if you can't see the disc upon review, than no one else can.

Film a bright disc against a dark field or if you are throwing against a low light sky, then use a dark disc.
Throw multiple flat lines before you change to hyzer/anhyzer shots, and try to throw medium/low line to avoid losing it in the sky.
IMO, if you want to talk about the disc, do that at the end, most folks are just looking for the flight lines.

Mike C, Thrownatur, and Supreme Flight are the best I've seen at being consistent at making useful disc vids and are good reference tools for anyone trying to get into disc reviews.

Last edited:

I'm bagging a new C-line FD3 and a beat Sexy Firebird. The consistent forward fade and skip of the Firebird make it feel like a completely different disc compared to the FD3, which dumps right and has virtually zero skip. I could survive with only one of them, but that wouldn't be as much fun :clap:

This is what Discmania says about the CD3:
"The long-awaited CD3 is finally here! Discmania set out to create a driver that was suitable for all walks of life and ended up with something even more special than that. Think of your favorite control driver and sprinkle in some added speed, glide, and a little bit of turn and you have yourself a CD3. Combine that with probably the most ergonomic rim configuration you've seen on a 11 speed driver and you'll know this is a disc you'll be opting for off the tee time after time.

Although it is great for beginning players and advanced golfers alike, the CD3 will find a home even in the bags of power throwers. You will find yourself reaching for it again and again for long tunnel shots, huge turnovers, gentle hyzers, and a soft finish on every throw. Some of our players even like it for a longer roller. You'll be amazed with how easy the CD3 is to throw consistently."

this phrase, "Although it is great for beginning players and advanced golfers alike, the CD3 will find a home even in the bags of power throwers." is such a cop out. I understand that they are a company and have to sell discs, but this description seems to get added to every new disc that comes out.

The vid you posted was pretty decent, and I thought it was obvious I wasn't describing that vid.

I've previously made a lot of Youtube vids, but this was years ago when decent HD camera equipment was probably less useful than the iPhone. Try filming motorcycle vlogs at 65mph+ with a camera in your facemask that you needed to turn on/off with your tongue, lol.
I've used the iPhone to film discs and its super easy, but you need to keep a few things in mind.

The bottom line is if you can't see the disc upon review, than no one else can.

Film a bright disc against a dark field or if you are throwing against a low light sky, then use a dark disc.
Throw multiple flat lines before you change to hyzer/anhyzer shots, and try to throw medium/low line to avoid losing it in the sky.
IMO, if you want to talk about the disc, do that at the end, most folks are just looking for the flight lines.

Mike C, Thrownatur, and Supreme Flight are the best I've seen at being consistent at making useful disc vids and are good reference tools for anyone trying to get into disc reviews.

I was speaking in generalities I took no offense to what you posted just wanted to point out that we, as a community, try putting our best foot forward even if its a bare foot instead of a dress shoe. I do appreciate the tips as well! Thank you.