• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chainstarred???

Watching Round 1 FPO...it is ridiculous the number of short, soft putts that are bouncing off the chains. I wish I could see the same putts with the inner set of chains removed. Even without that, this turns me off getting one of those baskets.

Here's an easy one: I believe the reason for the earlier chainstars' bad reputation was because of of the single chain ring (the double chain model has this feature). I haven't even seen the new ones, so I don't know if it's been addressed, but it seems to me that with the single ring there's too much 'pre-load' on the entire chain set, making its action more 'springy' and less absorbent...am I off target here?

New ones have three rings

...The only competitive thing I can think of without any element of luck is chess. ...

There's luck in chess. Your opponent may randomly have low blood sugar, or may have randomly happened to have read the same page in "Survive & Beat Annoying Chess Openings" that you did that morning.

I had a round a few weeks backs with 3 dead center pole bounce outs on the first 5 holes... Just a fluke occurance. Those dont happen very often and chances are I will never have another round with three putts missed like that.. On the other side of that you might have a round with favorable tree bounces that end up saving you 3 strokes..

There are new materials being made that act like gecko feet, i.e. they stick to anything, why not make the chains, cage, and center pole out of that stuff. Boom! No more spit-outs.

I think Karl hits on the crux of the discussion. The chains are a deflection device (it's how they're referenced in the technical standards), not the target itself. In a way, the chains are more akin to a basketball backboard than to the hoop. Ideally when you hit the painted square on the backboard, the ball will deflect through the hoop, but that's not always how it works. If you hit the square too hard or at a poor angle, the ball might hit the rim and fall outside the hoop or miss the hoop all together. Hitting the square alone does not equate to a "good" shot. Hitting the square and having the ball then fall properly through the hoop equates to a "good" shot.

I think this is the best analogy I've read in this thread. Like the man said the basket is the target or goal the chains are a deflection device like the backboard in basketball. I might add that not all backboards are created equal either.

I agree. I'd go on to say, if it had been on an Innova basket, Sexton would have shrugged it off without much comment.

I was thinking the same thing. Discatcher 28's can and will do that same spit. You will never hear Big Sexy complain about Discatchers or Ian and Corey complain about Portals.

There are new materials being made that act like gecko feet, i.e. they stick to anything, why not make the chains, cage, and center pole out of that stuff. Boom! No more spit-outs.

Based on putting statistics, the baskets are already at that point for pros.

If putting was actually the act of landing in the basket, the percent of putts made would go down with the cube of the distance. That's because three dimensions would have to be correct: up/down, right/left, forward/back. However, the percent of putts made actually goes down in proportion to the square of the distance from the target. That means forward/back is not a factor for pros. In other words, pros don't land in a basket, they hit a target.

I think what's happening is that the shape of the gecko-feet part of the target might be irregular and differ from model to model. Perhaps Mach III's have a little spot down near the rings where a dead-center putt will be swung back out. Maybe Mach X's are asymmetrical with a gap in the gecko-foot on the left side. Maybe old Chainstars have a smaller gecko-footprint. However, none of them seem to require any "touch" on putts.

I think that the best putters get the least amount of spit outs. These people either have a putt that minimizes spit outs (think Ricky) or know how to adjust their putt given what the baskets are doing. It may not be obvious it's happening but it's pretty dog gone obvious when people are not making the adjustment.

I used to hyzer putt most of the time and I had a lot of discs going through the chains. I learned to putt flatter and those types of issues went mostly away. Experienced players know how to adjust what they are doing given the conditions.

I like the randomness of it all. Sometimes you get to watch with inner glee as something funky happens to your card mates putts. On another day they are enjoying your frustration over a bounce out. It all evens out over the long run.

Would anyone change the shape of a football because of the randomness it causes when it bounces? It's part of what makes football what it is just as wonky spit outs are part of what makes DG what it is.

My experience on the Chainstar Pros at the Toboggan course is that the top 2/3 of the chains will spit back a lot of soft putts. Almost like there was hardly any deflection of the chains. Kind of like what looks to happen to Sexton. Go in and spring back out. Our group had 7 spit outs that we all thought should've stayed in. All soft putts, center, in the top 2/3 of the chains. Mind you, we are all casuals that aren't the greatest, +8 to +18 at Toboggan, but most of these were inside 15 feet. On the other hand, watching the Ams and the Pros at Toboggan, I only saw a couple center-ish spit outs out of hundreds of players.

Overall, I feel that it's just part of the game, or I just don't care enough to think it's an issue. (Says the guy that has no money or fame on the line)