• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte, NC

Local here in Charlotte. I am a beginner but alot of my friends said these are some of the more challenging and rewarding courses in the area.

Renny
Hornets nest
Nevin
R.L. Smith

I've played RL Smith, which was an awesome wooded course with lots of left and right hole shots, up hill down hill, baskets up in large mountain like rock piles. Really nice scenery, pretty decent sized water hazard on some holes.

My personal favorites are: Eager Beaver @ Elon, Plantation Ruins @ Winget, & Dry Creek.

Hope you enjoy your trip through Charlotte!

Last edited:
If your around at the end of September into early October, Winthrop Gold with the ropes up is a must play.

This. The ropes change Winthrop from a "skip it, there's a lot better in Charlotte" course to a "don't miss your chance" course. Plus, keep in mind that the USDGC is going on during that period; the finals gallery is fun to be part of.

Other than that, and particular tastes in courses, I recommend Renny and Hornets Nest, for no other reason than their fame. You should play them so you'll know what people are talking about, when they're talking about Charlotte.

Don't know if you're interested, don't know if the logistics will work out, but Stoney Hill is a minor detour on your way to and from Charlotte, and should be in pretty good condition about that time.

As I always say, this site's ratings are pretty good for Charlotte. Not necessarily the actual value of the ratings, but the order of the courses as they are rated. You can't go wrong with Renny, Nevin, RL Smith, Bradford, and Hornet's. After that, it depends on what you like, as to how much you will agree or disagree with the ratings and the ordering.

Scrapyard isn't my cup of tea, and I think Dry Creek is overrated (I would easily play Winget, Elon (both), Winthrop, and Reedy Creek over it), and Eastway is overrated (even at 3.47), but hey, I also think Hornet's gets way more love than it should -- so maybe I'm crazy.

There aren't any stinkers. Any 18 hole course in the county is worth your time in one way or another.

There aren't any stinkers. Any 18 hole course in the county is worth your time in one way or another.

The Charlotte area's biggest strength is the abundance of courses. The fact that a course like Rankin Lake in Gastonia, which is located 25 minutes west of downtown Charlotte, is completely forgotten is all you need to know. This is a solid, above average course that everyone forgets about because there are so many other great courses even closer than that. There are plenty of cities in the Carolinas (Charleston, Columbia & Asheville immediately come to mind) that, if Rankin were located there instead of metro Charlotte, it would immediately become one of that city's top two or three courses. Here, it's an afterthought. Heck, I bet a lot of the Charlotte folks haven't even played it simply because they drive past half a dozen other courses, or more, just to get there.

The Charlotte area's biggest strength is the abundance of courses. The fact that a course like Rankin Lake in Gastonia, which is located 25 minutes west of downtown Charlotte, is completely forgotten is all you need to know. This is a solid, above average course that everyone forgets about because there are so many other great courses even closer than that. There are plenty of cities in the Carolinas (Charleston, Columbia & Asheville immediately come to mind) that, if Rankin were located there instead of metro Charlotte, it would immediately become one of that city's top two or three courses. Here, it's an afterthought. Heck, I bet a lot of the Charlotte folks haven't even played it simply because they drive past half a dozen other courses, or more, just to get there.

I want to get back out there sometime. I played it maybe 3-4 years ago, and it wasnt my favorite. The holes along the creek were fun, but the little short ones through the tight pines were annoying. The 1000' hole was also kinda boring. I've heard there have been major improvements since that time, so I'm excited to find the time to get back out there. It was a beautiful park, and I remember it seemed to have tons of potential. The battle down I-85 to get into the Gas-house is the major hurdle that keeps me (and prob others) from making the way out there.

We really are spoiled to live in this area as disc golfers. The options are endless. I find myself getting bored with the Charlotte courses from time to time, and having a hard time deciding where I want to go play. I know its terrible. I always have to remind myself how lucky I am to have such problems lol. I've got to keep Rankin Lake in mind next time I'm thinking abt a change of pace. I've also heard good things about Goat Island, but I've never made it out there. How is it, and what does it compare to?

Also...where the heck is it?

You would put Elon AB behind Sugaw, Bridges, or Winget?

Don't forget Frank Liske! Charlotte's first totally open bomb-city course.

Bridges is not good and not a Charlotte course, nor is Frank Liske, also a sad design...wonder what they have in common...? I dont mind Winget for what it is. Its fair, the last few holes + transition dont make sense...and the hole 9 or 10 should have played up the hill instead of having 2 down hill throws in a row with a complete fairway walk transition between them... Sugaw is great course, only problem no elevation.

Regardless of distance, if I had equal opportunity at each course:

My favorite courses, if I played 10,000 times, they would order like this in frequency I played them:
1 Hornets
2 Nevin (not Nevins)
3 -5 ties: Robbins - Bradford - Sugaw - underrated course for sure, fair (a bit lefty friendly), all shots required
6 RL Smith - If OB wasnt so silly it would move up under Nevin for me.
7-9 Ties: Web - Renny Gold - Renny
10 - 16 Ties: Eastway, Bailey (not Baileys), Kilborne, Reedy, Winget, Elong Eager, Idlewild
17 Squirrel Lake (sorry team SL) (12 holes a bit plinko)
18 Elon Angry

Non Charlotte Courses (worth talking about) but local:
1 Dry Creek
2 Stumpy (not Stumpys)
3 Boyd Hill
4 Winthrop (with ropes)
5- Rankin Lake
6 - Bradley Center
7 - Frank Liske (open ok we need to be able to practice those types of holes, however it is terrible distance management; 400+ par 3s and 470' par 4' type thing.(Holes 6-9 are just really bad design and disappointing)
8 - Goat Island
9 -Winthrop no ropes
10- Statesville - would move up if you didnt have to drive from one side to the other and the front and back werent so different.
11 - Crooked Creek - (great course but you only need 2-3 putters)
20. (I prefer my back yard course) Bridges - this will get a "fix" but even with trees removed it was a really really poor and/or dangerous (IMO) use of the land and creek, a half a$$ design. I walked that land 4 years ago for the park department, and personally it breaks my heart to have access to that property and end up with that product, I doubt I'll go back.

Last edited:
I've also heard good things about Goat Island, but I've never made it out there. How is it, and what does it compare to?

Also...where the heck is it?

You're already on this site. Shouldn't that eliminate the need to ask where a course is located?

Huey's irrational hatred of Elon is nearly the equivalent as my irrational hatred of Hornet's Nest.

I dont hate it, and dont tell people not to play there. Infact, my last few tournament rounds have been decent there. There are a few plinko holes but it would hold up in any disc golf community, I just rarely find myself having fun there.

Part is my past play there
Part is the cross town rivalry being built at the same time as Nevin
Part is the awful mowing up and down that evil dirt mound I remember doing to make temp courses for ice bowl events before Angry was built.
Although I do like that I found like 50 lacrosse balls and sold them to play it again. And that it takes 300 players a day away from the rest of Charlotte courses and that there is a great group of golfers that take care of it.

And if it werent for the irrational part of all that I would still probably put it in the 9-11 spot for me.

I think i'm gonna hang out there for about two weeks, last week of sept and first of october. I have a decent arm 350+ but I don't mind having to do some brain work when I play. I like a course thats somewhat open in a few spots to really be able to rip a few but I think I prefer courses that are more wooded and need some precision.

How was your trip?

I'm planning a trip to Charlotte next week Thursday through Sunday. There's lots of great info on this thread but I have a specific question. It looks to be wet for much of my trip so I'm wondering which courses drain well and which ones (if any) turn into swaps after a heavy rain. The courses on my list include:
Nevin
Hornets Nest
RL Smith
Rennaisance
Bradford
Dry Creek
Maybe Kilborne
Maybe Eastway

I'd love to know which ones drain well so I can focus on those if needed. If there are any other courses in Charlotte known to drain well please let me know of those as well. Thanks!

I'm planning a trip to Charlotte next week Thursday through Sunday. There's lots of great info on this thread but I have a specific question. It looks to be wet for much of my trip so I'm wondering which courses drain well and which ones (if any) turn into swaps after a heavy rain. The courses on my list include:
Nevin - Only minor issues
Hornets Nest
RL Smith
Rennaisance
Bradford
Dry Creek
Maybe Kilborne
Maybe Eastway

I'd love to know which ones drain well so I can focus on those if needed. If there are any other courses in Charlotte known to drain well please let me know of those as well. Thanks!

Nevin - Only minor issues.
Hornets Nest - If it's hard rain some fairways on the front 9 and transitions on the back will be very wet.
RL Smith - lots of elevation; drains pretty well.
Rennaisance - most of it will be ok, lower-lying areas pretty wet - older tee pads will be slick.
Bradford - drains well.
Dry Creek - totally ironic name, very soggy after rains, drains poorly - wear boots.
Maybe Kilborne - drains well.
Maybe Eastway - drains well, though some transitions will be muddy, and #5 will be very messy around the creek.

Nevin - Only minor issues.
Hornets Nest - If it's hard rain some fairways on the front 9 and transitions on the back will be very wet.
RL Smith - lots of elevation; drains pretty well.
Rennaisance - most of it will be ok, lower-lying areas pretty wet - older tee pads will be slick.
Bradford - drains well.
Dry Creek - totally ironic name, very soggy after rains, drains poorly - wear boots.
Maybe Kilborne - drains well.
Maybe Eastway - drains well, though some transitions will be muddy, and #5 will be very messy around the creek.

RL has 2 creeks that line like 7 fairways. If you throw a disc in there after a good rain, you will not be able to retrieve. Small rains, no issues.

I played Rennaisance after rain & there is a good bit of orange clay there that gets very slick & will mud you up.

Note that Hornets Nest is going through an issue (check tournaments thread) and may not be playable as posted.

Winget (Plantation Ruins) drains well; short and technical and fun but still challenging; only 8 miles from Renny.

I played RL Smith and Hornets in a torrential down pour and both did not handle rain well. RLS had a couple tees under inches of water, but I still played from them, lost a couple discs in the creek. Hornets had a number fairways under water and I didn't bother throwing some of them. I played Renny Gold, Nevin, Bradford and Bracketts the next day after rain. At Renny it was quite muddy and slick in places, but playable. No issues at Nevin, Bradford and Bracketts.

Bracketts is definitely worth a play. Call Dave(number is listed in course info) to make sure no member events overlap.