• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte, NC

Bracketts is definitely worth a play. Call Dave(number is listed in course info) to make sure no member events overlap.

Old, classic layout = yes. Current layout = only if you have time.

The current layout is only about the sixth to eight best course in the Charlotte area. It's still good, but it's no longer a must play.

If you play Bradford hit me up and I'll be your guide, I'm the course director at Bradford. I run a random draw captains choice doubles league on Friday nights if you would like to play that. Sign ups this week start around 5:15 and draw for teams at 5:45. Either way, hit me up!

Given the changes at Hornets Nest you might want to play Robbins instead. I was out there this weekend and it's in great shape.

1 optimal round at RENAISSANCE? Map

Playing Grey 7 11 12 vs Gold 11 12 13: Would one miss out on anything by passing on those 3 Gold holes?

Holes 1 2 n 5: worth throwing from both pads, or do the Golds just add length?

Holes 4 8 n 10 (Grey) worth playing 2 drives for each pin location?

Thanks for any input :)

I haven't played out there in a few years.

Gold 13 is kind-of cool. But all 3 are really flat. 11 and 12 aren't overly interesting. Plus I believe those holes overlap the new Renske course, which may cause conflicts with other players?

1 - Long tee is a legit 2-shot hole. Short tee is kind of a tweener, depending on how long you throw.

2 - Does hole #2 really only have 1 basket now? The short tee there is too demanding to play to the long basket. Long tee is a legit 2-shot hole, although a bit on the short side, but the perched pin tends to make that okay.

5 - Long tee is pretty cool. Might as well play it and throw one from the short on your way up the hill.

4 - Not really worth throwing to the short. It's a cool tough anhyzer shot with a pin perched on a tough downhill slope. Oh hell, I don't know, go ahead and throw it. But if you're playing it blind and alone with no spotter, you increase your chance of lost disc.

8 - The short pin is only a short way past the ideal landing area for the long pin. The long pin is essentially a downhill first, a right turn, and an uphill 2nd.

10 - erm, I don't know. The short basket is just kind-of on your way to the long basket. As far as I remember.

I haven't played out there in a few years.

Gold 13 is kind-of cool. But all 3 are really flat. 11 and 12 aren't overly interesting. Plus I believe those holes overlap the new Renske course, which may cause conflicts with other players?

1 - Long tee is a legit 2-shot hole. Short tee is kind of a tweener, depending on how long you throw.

2 - Does hole #2 really only have 1 basket now? The short tee there is too demanding to play to the long basket. Long tee is a legit 2-shot hole, although a bit on the short side, but the perched pin tends to make that okay.

5 - Long tee is pretty cool. Might as well play it and throw one from the short on your way up the hill.

4 - Not really worth throwing to the short. It's a cool tough anhyzer shot with a pin perched on a tough downhill slope. Oh hell, I don't know, go ahead and throw it. But if you're playing it blind and alone with no spotter, you increase your chance of lost disc.

8 - The short pin is only a short way past the ideal landing area for the long pin. The long pin is essentially a downhill first, a right turn, and an uphill 2nd.

10 - erm, I don't know. The short basket is just kind-of on your way to the long basket. As far as I remember.

You live in Charlotte, but haven't played there in years?

Thanks for the info Grodney. I'll probably just play whatever I wonder across :)

You live in Charlotte, but haven't played there in years?

Yes, it's quite amazing. I'm literally a 15-17 minute drive from Renny and I never go there.

Thanks for the info Grodney. I'll probably just play whatever I wonder across :)

The thing about Renny is, there are so many blind shots, and/or long shots, and/or placement shots, you really need to just go through it one time just to know where everything is. THEN go back through to play it for real.

My brother only got to play it once-through, probably 10 years ago, and he STILL talks about how he wants another crack at, now that he knows where to throw.

You making a trip down here? Where else you going to play?

Yes, it's quite amazing. I'm literally a 15-17 minute drive from Renny and I never go there.

The thing about Renny is, there are so many blind shots, and/or long shots, and/or placement shots, you really need to just go through it one time just to know where everything is. THEN go back through to play it for real.

My brother only got to play it once-through, probably 10 years ago, and he STILL talks about how he wants another crack at, now that he knows where to throw.

You making a trip down here? Where else you going to play?

I live 30 from Rollin Ridge, but only go there a handful of times each year, so I kind of get it.

I'll only play through once. Don't mind, basically walking the course and playing to landing zones. It's more about seeing the courses (and country) than worrying about score when I trip.

I'll be down that way June 4-7. Thursday the 4th will be Ashe County down to H!ghland H!lls. Then choose 2 between Stumpy, Brackets, or Bradford. (Any suggestions anyone?) To make a LEGENDARY day Friday, I was gonna try RL Smith, Hornets, Nevin, and Renaissance. (any suggestions anyone?) Satday will probably be Reedy, Scrapyard, the 2 Beavers, then Winthrop. Sunday morning will be Winget and then up to Glenn C and Sawmill. A drive on Blue Ridge Parkway to finish with me getting drunk in Asheville! (any suggestions anyone?) Play Richmond and Harmon Hills on my way north Monday.

Sunday morning will be Winget and then up to Glenn C and Sawmill. A drive on Blue Ridge Parkway to finish with me getting drunk in Asheville! (any suggestions anyone?) Play Richmond and Harmon Hills on my way north Monday.

We have Sunday random draw dubs at Winget (10:15 am draw) if you can make it.

We have Sunday random draw dubs at Winget (10:15 am draw) if you can make it.

That could work. I'll be camping on Lake Wylie, a few minutes away. Y'all play through that course fairly quick?

Aggressive and awesome schedule.

I haven't played any of Stumpy, Bracketts, or Bradford, but my sense is you are best with Stumpy and Bradford.

Check on Hornets right before your trip to make sure it's still in the ground.

For sure play Winthrop. BUT(!) make sure you have a map. There are two layouts -- Lake and Gold -- and the baskets are in place for both. It's impossible to know where to go and where to throw without a map or a guide. I'm assuming you want to play Gold. Imagine the rope and enjoy.

If you like IPAs and haven't had it, get some Hop Drop n Roll while in Charlotte.

Robbins park just north of Charlotte in Cornelius is a good young course. Reminds me a little of Renaissance. It's a short drive from bracketts- i would do that as your second course that day.

Aggressive and awesome schedule.

I haven't played any of Stumpy, Bracketts, or Bradford, but my sense is you are best with Stumpy and Bradford.

Check on Hornets right before your trip to make sure it's still in the ground.

For sure play Winthrop. BUT(!) make sure you have a map. There are two layouts -- Lake and Gold -- and the baskets are in place for both. It's impossible to know where to go and where to throw without a map or a guide. I'm assuming you want to play Gold. Imagine the rope and enjoy.

If you like IPAs and haven't had it, get some Hop Drop n Roll while in Charlotte.

Hornets might have to get subbed by Robbins, but it looks to be a solid alternative. You guys have so many fugazin' courses!

Nothing better than playing horseshoes under the sun in the middle of summer, with an IPA :)