• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Chief

When I first got my Chief, I was a little worried about straight putting with it. I like a deeper rim for putting. What I have found is that the Chief is a great tweener mold for me. It is just between a mid and putter for me. This is extremely useful for my game. I can even sidearm this disc pretty reliably. And my sidearm sucks. Bad. Once they do a big release of platinum evo, I can see the Chief in premium and base being huge in my bag.

So I've been messing around with the chief all week for upshots and driving off the tee on short holes. OMG - WOW - I'm in love. Can't wait for my 2 others to come in (mine is black - silly tourney discs).

I absolutely love it for FH upshots. First time I've been able to reliably FH a putter and it has saved me a few strokes this week alone. Comes out nice and clean, feels great, and has just enough stability to deal with my crappy FH form.

These go perfect with the Summits I putt with. Been searching for something similar to a Summit for more stable drives. Everything else that was similar in size was a little too stable. Chief is really close in size and just the right stability, I am liking mine a lot.

I ordered two protos from the GGGT and I have to say that I like these a lot. Shallow, stable and grippy - I'm in love <3

I'm wondering when the production versions will be available at worldwide and when the Gateway will release these at evolution plastic? Have you noticed that there isn't any information about Chief putters at Gateways homepage?

I ordered two protos from the GGGT and I have to say that I like these a lot. Shallow, stable and grippy - I'm in love <3

I'm wondering when the production versions will be available at worldwide and when the Gateway will release these at evolution plastic? Have you noticed that there isn't any information about Chief putters at Gateways homepage?

There are already some Evo Chiefs out there. They come out with a slight dome. I'm not sure how you would get them in Finland, though.

i picked up one today and been putting with it and really like it. cant wait to throw it.

My friend just got one of these because his nickname is chief, and he liked the stamp. I have been telling him he needs a more OS putter to pair with his aviars. But he doesn't like the feel of a rhino or pig. Are these more OS than a KC aviar? If so, more envy or zone like?

I just got one of these from Next Adventure. It's a purple disc with a pink rim and inner pink circle. Very unique and 1990s looking. It's a bottom stamp. I bought it because it felt so unique, the need and rounded nose feel like a judge BUT it so much shallower.

Can't wait to try it out. It's also super stiff and very fingerprinty, what plastic type is that?

Got an evo chief last week from RDG. It is a pink 173. It has a slight dome as compared to the sure grip. I threw this thing in to 15mph headwinds on Friday and all it did to the disc was make it fly dead nuts straight. Threw it in calmer conditions on Sunday and had some absolutely amazing upshots and one pretty amazing drive. In calmer condition the evo has a tick more fade than the sure grip. I know RDG has some more so if anyone is looking check them out. I personally have found my go to premi plastic putter. Even with the little bit of dome they are incredibly shallow and easy to grip. I truly love this disc. Sure grip for up shots that need to stick and putts and evo for everything else.

I just got one of these from Next Adventure. It's a purple disc with a pink rim and inner pink circle. Very unique and 1990s looking. It's a bottom stamp. I bought it because it felt so unique, the need and rounded nose feel like a judge BUT it so much shallower.

Can't wait to try it out. It's also super stiff and very fingerprinty, what plastic type is that?

next adventure is where i got mine as well it is green and brown with a bottom stamp and stiff as hell.

next adventure is where i got mine as well it is green and brown with a bottom stamp and stiff as hell.

Yeah it says nothing on the bottom (bottom stamp) or what type on the ink? My voodoos all usually said on the top stamp and the bottom factory ink.

Still loving my chief, but my main one is really showing some weird wear from some tree hits. Outside of the normal dings & gouges I now have hit a tree hard enough to buckle the flight plate a bit. It is weird as I've never seen a disc do this before. It looks like the rim was pushed in enough to bubble the flight plate up a bit just inside the rim. Still seems to fly fine though - oh well.

All this talk about Chiefs and look what we got today...Woo!!

resize_zpsddcfda71.jpg

Still loving my chief, but my main one is really showing some weird wear from some tree hits. Outside of the normal dings & gouges I now have hit a tree hard enough to buckle the flight plate a bit. It is weird as I've never seen a disc do this before. It looks like the rim was pushed in enough to bubble the flight plate up a bit just inside the rim. Still seems to fly fine though - oh well.
That is typical gateway plastic. Consider it your pressure button.

Just got my chief yesterday, took it with me to a league game today and it was windy, so I gave it a good work out. I love it, up shots, drives and putts, it out performed the Wizz in the wind. I left the Pig at home and thats where its staying, dont need it anymore, the Chief is the sh-t. It may also kick out my Nova soon and after more testing, who knows, maybe by by Wizzard. It would be great to only carry one putter, but even as it stands now its in the bag for good.

Just picked up a chief yesterday and loving it. Not nearly as beefy as my max weight esp zone, but twice as versatile . It may be on the stable side of things for a putter, but it's a fairly neutral upshot machine.
The low profile rim releases clean on every type of shot /grip. I can even get a nice clean 70 foot anny line out of it with a thumb fh. Drives nice and straight with a little more glide than a zone and doesn't show any turn. Imo , It's similar to 7/10 roc that's not showing any turn yet, but loosing some of the fade. . Not sure I will putt with it a bunch, but a great driving/ upshot /midrange putter.