• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Chief

Just got my chief yesterday, took it with me to a league game today and it was windy, so I gave it a good work out. I love it, up shots, drives and putts, it out performed the Wizz in the wind. I left the Pig at home and thats where its staying, dont need it anymore, the Chief is the sh-t. It may also kick out my Nova soon and after more testing, who knows, maybe by by Wizzard. It would be great to only carry one putter, but even as it stands now its in the bag for good.

Just curious, but how do you see this kicking out the Nova? I use my chiefs for completely different shots than my Novas. Kicking out the wizard - I could see. The pig - maybe (although not nearly as stable).

Just picked up a chief yesterday and loving it. Not nearly as beefy as my max weight esp zone, but twice as versatile . It may be on the stable side of things for a putter, but it's a fairly neutral upshot machine.
The low profile rim releases clean on every type of shot /grip. I can even get a nice clean 70 foot anny line out of it with a thumb fh. Drives nice and straight with a little more glide than a zone and doesn't show any turn. Imo , It's similar to 7/10 roc that's not showing any turn yet, but loosing some of the fade. . Not sure I will putt with it a bunch, but a great driving/ upshot /midrange putter.

Agreed.

I've read it is a good upshot and driving putter, but how is it with putting? Having read some reviews, I would like to hear more about the putting aspect of the Chief.

I've only ever seen one guy putt with Chiefs, not trying to detour you. It probably just gets overlooked because of the Wizard. I did like the Chief, just didn't end up bagging it. But if you are looking for a lower profile, beaded, fairly neutral disc, might be worth trying one out.

I've only ever seen one guy putt with Chiefs, not trying to detour you. It probably just gets overlooked because of the Wizard. I did like the Chief, just didn't end up bagging it. But if you are looking for a lower profile, beaded, fairly neutral disc, might be worth trying one out.

That's definitely the criteria that I'm looking for. I wanna try it out before I make my final decision on my putter. Right now I'm leaning heavy on that Atom that you sent me.:thmbup: It was a little more slick than what I like but I put some acetone on it to take some of it out.

That was a regular, maybe a soft Atom? Chiefs are more shallow than Atoms, if my memory serves me correctly. If you decide to try a Chief, call Gateway and tell them what feel you are looking for. They have some good direct deals and will try to give you what you are looking for.

Wish I still had some Chiefs still, I'd send you one.

Anyone still throwing the Chief? This thing has been a revelation for me, that shallow rim is so comfortable and easy to release. It's the first putter I've ever felt comfortable driving with & taking longer upshots. It feels very much like a mid in my hand.

Anyone throw this in Evo or Diamond plastic and are they as flat as the Suregrip? The Evo Chief OS has a slight dome.

Just recently picked up a Chief in Diamond and Hyper Diamond as some new options off the tee.

Really loving them so far as someone that likes a thin flat top disc to power grip, really underrated mold IMO.

Just received a pair of diamond chiefs in the mail. Unlike the previous evo chief I bought, these are flat as a board. I'm looking forward to testing them out. Fingers crossed!

After a long search for a shallow driving putter to replace my wizards (too deep) I settled on the Chief os. After buying one and using that for a month I realized it was just right for me. I bought a regular Chief for easy turnovers and a second set of each for my backup bag. I'm done looking for a while. Love em.

Spent 2 putter only rounds with a pair of diamond chiefs. As advertised, they're basically driving wizards. Smooth and controllable off the tee with subtle fade. It's going take a decent amount of seasoning to hyzer flip any turnover out of mine. I'm not so sure I'm going back to driving with deep putters either.