• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chosing a pairing of Mids

PhillyPhan69

Bogey Member
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, but since I have over 50 posts I am not considered a newb and couldn't post this there? I am looking at building a variety of mids that are complimentary to one another for my bag. I have followed the advice of playing with only mids and putters to improve my game. I have played y last 6 rounds following this method and plan to for at east a few more weeks.

I don't want to get tangled up into a variety of manufacturers, but since I know everyone has their preferences I suspect some of that will creep in. For now I am using Innova solely although I might alter that as I get better.

I currently use: 165 Champion Panther, 164 R-Pro Roc+, 171 Champion Shark 3, and a 147 DX Shark.

Does this seem a complimentary mix or is there another type of Innova mid I should look at?

How do you choose which discs to partner with one another....I have a Whippet that I use as a FD but only when I need a real strong fade...should I look into the same thing for my mids (although to be honest I have been able to work them all in a variety of lines from straight, to hooking left and even right (although Annys are not my strong suit). Thanks for any help

You already have all the midranges you'll need from Innova.

The Whippet can be used as your overstable mid. The Shark 3 is also plenty stable enough to handle most mid needs. The R-pro Roc could be your go-to mid, since it's very versatile. You have the Panther which should be straight to understable for you, and it's also longer than a true mid. And the DX Shark could be used for floaty understable shots, or tailwinds.

If you ever choose to branch out and pick up something that's not Innova, I suggest the MVP Axis. It's one of the best discs in the game.

KC Roc/X Comet can't be beat. I hear good things from GYRO heads about the Tangent/Tensor

Most people go with the philosophy of Overstable Mid, Stable Mid and Understable Mid.

That could be Drone, Buzzz and Meteor.

Or Tensor, Axis, beat up Tangent.

Or Verdict, Truth, Fuse.

And then there's the Roc guys. Who cycle 3-5 Rocs. Fresh, worn, beat and super beat.

Your set-up is pretty good. Use the whippet for really Overstable needs.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you've got a bit of overlap there. I wouldn't think you'd need the R-Pro Roc+ and the Champion Shark 3. So I would get rid of one of those. Also, I haven't thrown a lightweight DX Shark, but I'd imagine it flies slightly understable kinda like the panther. So I'd get rid of one of those too. Then, just pick up a Star Gator for your overstable mid slot. That's of course if you want to stick with Innova. There's a whole other can of worms if we're talking about branching out to other brands.

The cool thing about disc golf right now Is there are so many great disc options out there

The bad part about disc golf right now is that there are so many options right now and it's so dang hard to choose!

Right now I run all Rocs and a Suspect (which is pretty OS at my elevation) though the Suspect is almost a putter. I'll throw in a Star Gator for certain courses/conditions. I tried a ton of mids over the last two years, many of them awesome (Truth, Tangent, Vector, Tensor, Verdict, Tursas) some of them classics (Buzzz, Wasp, Comet) and a few duds. I just always felt I played better with a variety of Rocs/Roc 3s. Obviously they are great throwers, but it's what I feel most comfortable with.

Long story short: you have a good variety. Throw them a bunch, get to know them and stick with what works for you and what best fits your game. Hopefully you have a local shop or PIAS around you so you can try a bunch of used discs as well!

Everyone has given good advice. The big thing to me is what your style is. Do you want the disc to do a lot of the work, or will you change hyzer/flat/anhyzer angles?

For me I like a slightly overstable mid, and a workable neutral mid. The overstable mid (Roc in my case, for you there is huge overlap between Roc and Champ Shark) I trust to go straight with a touch of fade. If I want to throw a hyzer, then I release with hyzer....and it will follow the line the whole way without going too crazy on the fade. My neutral mid (Mako maybe from Innova?...haven't thrown one) I trust if I need to just go straight at the target from outside of putter range, or if I want an anhyzer. Basically I'd rather throw a consistent anhyzer angle and know what I did with a disc that follows it the whole way, than try to only rely on turnovers and need to know exactly how hard the disc must be thrown for what degree of turn. Beat discs (I use a Shark, you can use your light Shark) can fill this shot if need be for specialty late right turners.

Again that all depends on your style. I don't really use an understable mid (again I just throw a neutral mid hard and anhyzer) because if I need a shorter right turner, I just use a neutral putter, simple as that for me. It really depends on your bag. Plus I throw putters a ton so I like a longer midrange disc, I actually use a Core (that's a Buzzz for most people) more than a Roc because I get putters close to Roc distances and lines, and the Core goes a bit further than a Roc at lower ceiling, so it's less overlap with putters. So you just have to decide what you want from a mid...upshots or only longer than putter throws? Change your release angles or change your disc?

out of the mids you listed, what's your go-to? how do each of them fly for you? which one(s) give you the most confidence?

i would figure that out and then pick the rest based on that.

without knowing that, i think the champ shark will be the most versatile for you. it should work for both BH and FH. i would add a slightly heavier DX shark (168-170g) - it will break in to a nice straight disc and maybe a dx stingray for a turnover disc.

gator is a good suggestion - some rounds you won't need it, some rounds you will need it a lot. schumaker tends to be either dead calm or breezy all day, as i'm sure you are learning by this point.

out of the mids you listed, what's your go-to? how do each of them fly for you? which one(s) give you the most confidence?

This is the best response in the thread.

With everyone giving you overstable, stable, and understable, I would challenge you to do more with less. Pick the most neutral midrange that you're carrying and play with only it. It'll force you to learn how to throw anhyzer, hyzer, and flat instead of relying on "this disc that flies this way and that disc that flies that way". It'll also help you to learn the limitations of that disc and will allow you to figure out what kind of complementary discs you really need.

With everyone giving you overstable, stable, and understable, I would challenge you to do more with less. Pick the most neutral midrange that you're carrying and play with only it. It'll force you to learn how to throw anhyzer, hyzer, and flat instead of relying on "this disc that flies this way and that disc that flies that way". It'll also help you to learn the limitations of that disc and will allow you to figure out what kind of complementary discs you really need.

I did this for the past year..1 mid and survived :thmbup: now ive added another back in the bag and very happy with the decision but it took time to figure out what I truly needed not just this disc for this shot crap.

This is basically how I use my Mako, I have a Prodigy M2 for a reliable fade, but the Mako for everything else.

i would figure that out and then pick the rest based on that.

without knowing that, i think the champ shark will be the most versatile for you. it should work for both BH and FH. i would add a slightly heavier DX shark (168-170g) - it will break in to a nice straight disc and maybe a dx stingray for a turnover disc.

gator is a good suggestion - some rounds you won't need it, some rounds you will need it a lot. schumaker tends to be either dead calm or breezy all day, as i'm sure you are learning by this point.

When I was struggling when I first started out, I met Chris R. who designed the Schu and he gave me a 147 shark and 150 Leopard. They became my go to discs early on (Chris throws lighter weights than most it seems and that was the direction he steered me). I really find the light shark comparable to the 150 dx Leopard with a little less distance...both fly dead straight when thrown level and flat. I have played a few rounds just using my 3 main mids Panther/Roc/shark 3 (I have kind of progressed past the dx shark (at least at this light weight). The Panther is the one I throw with the greatest confidence and results...especially in regards to the wind (even moreso on 3 & 4)....I do get similar results (sometimes eerily so out of the Panther and Roc)....Although the Roc and the Shark 3 have the same flight ratings, I have not been getting similar results when thrown on the same line. I seem to get slightly less distance and turn and more fade out of the shark 3 (perhaps the weight difference has this effect when thrown by me rather than the disc itself)....If I had to choose so far I would say that I am most comfortable with the Panther, but would use the roc on some tighter fairways (unless I find a DX shark in the 158-165 range)....I was looking at what I should consider pairing with it (The whippet is my go to disc with super fade on hole 6 or when I get into a trouble spot...fortunately that is not as frequent as it used to be). I am not sure I have seen anyone using the gator or I might have asked to toss it....I have not researched it at all so that is where I am off to next....Thanks for the help (not only in this thread but previous ones as well)....If you ever head back into town let me know, my son and I would love to play a round or 2 with you if you get the time!

Throw dx and kc pro rocs, start throwing a new one, throw the crap out of it. Follow the guys advice above and slowly add another one when it beats in too much. Start cycling them, you won't regret it, especially if you want to go with innova. That's my advice, if you want a neutral.understable mid to start out with, use a new roc and a mako3, those two discs can cover so many shots, and you will get used to them, if you want later, drop the mako3 if your rocs fill that spot once beat in. I was told to do this, I did it, and it worked for me. Good luck!!

As previously stated, you just want to cover the different duties: I carry more mids than most...just because.

I carry:
Understable M5
Slightly Understable M4
Slightly Overstable M3
Overstable M2
Very Overstable Drone

It covers all that I need in a midrange.

If I HAD to narrow it down, I'd go M5,M3,M2. But That's me.

You might be best served moving away from Innova and looking to Discraft for mids. US to OS : Meteor/Stratus>Comet>Buzzz>Wasp>Nebula>Drone. Just one of the hundred different opinions you will get.

You might be best served moving away from Innova and looking to Discraft for mids. US to OS : Meteor/Stratus>Comet>Buzzz>Wasp>Nebula>Drone. Just one of the hundred different opinions you will get.

Could you imagine trying to list a comprehensive lineup like that with all of the Innova mids? :|

Latest posts