• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Classic Review lines

This might be the most baffling con listed in a review. It's for Potter's Grove in Seagrove, NC:
Cons: The baskets are locked and you cannot move without park maintenance.

Wouldn't a real negative be the baskets weren't locked and were all stolen? Barring the baskets are only moved once a year, it's an interesting negative to cite.

I guess that's the only thing that kept him from giving a mostly open uninspiring park style course a 5 rating...smh

I guess that's the only thing that kept him from giving a mostly open uninspiring park style course a 5 rating...smh

That course actually has some fun parts to it. There are several sections with good elevation factors and water factors. Other parts are indeed open and uninspiring.

Sxhtoups review of East Harbor State Park in Marblehead, OH., titled " Bulldoze this Horse Path ".

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=2423&page=1&mode=rev#79864

"... Any hope, excitement, or enjoyment is quickly stolen and beaten from of a players soul with the one two punch of hole 6 and 7 which sadly confirm that meandering narrow walking paths will serve as "fairways" in over grown jungle brush for the duration of how much more you can tolerate. ... Only the baskets themselves are testimony that someone there might actually know what disc golf consists of. The baskets are in fact decoys to lure in disc golfers and ruin their day; job well done."

Sxhtoups review of East Harbor State Park in Marblehead, OH., titled " Bulldoze this Horse Path ".

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=2423&page=1&mode=rev#79864

"... Any hope, excitement, or enjoyment is quickly stolen and beaten from of a players soul with the one two punch of hole 6 and 7 which sadly confirm that meandering narrow walking paths will serve as "fairways" in over grown jungle brush for the duration of how much more you can tolerate. ... Only the baskets themselves are testimony that someone there might actually know what disc golf consists of. The baskets are in fact decoys to lure in disc golfers and ruin their day; job well done."

That's a little surprising given the pictures in the course listing. Some of those holes don't look half bad. I've encountered some of this non-sense before though. You'll get a glowing review from a trusted reviewer and then no reviews for 3 or 4 years and then a craptastic review from a TR. Goes to show how important course maintenance is and quickly a course can turn to garbage...

This might be the most baffling con listed in a review. It's for Potter's Grove in Seagrove, NC:

Wouldn't a real negative be the baskets weren't locked and were all stolen? Barring the baskets are only moved once a year, it's an interesting negative to cite.

People come up with some weird and cheesy cons. one of my favorites is "Bugs in the summer" as if the designer designed a course on the "Insect friendly" part of the property.:wall: If you go course bagging during anytime except the winter and there are no insects, call your loved ones and tell them that it's all over. All of the insects are gone and we are next.

That's a little surprising given the pictures in the course listing. Some of those holes don't look half bad. I've encountered some of this non-sense before though. You'll get a glowing review from a trusted reviewer and then no reviews for 3 or 4 years and then a craptastic review from a TR. Goes to show how important course maintenance is and quickly a course can turn to garbage...

Nah, this course has been a sheet show since its inception. Designed by a non-playing park ranger. I play it once in a while when I'm camping on site, it hasn't changed. Hole 6 is manageable, hole 7 is an 8' wide "fairway" with multiple doglegs. So dumb.

-edit- 8' might be a bit generous. Oh, and there's also a ceiling :doh:

Last edited:

I saw this the other day too and laughed. I personally always hate seeing locked baskets. How else am I supposed to afford quality baskets for my private course?

^^
This, in partial. If you check many of the pics of the holes on a lot of courses you can see that some of them can be as old as 7 years since they were taken and posted! I can personally attest to the fact that on several courses we like to go to the actual holes bear little likeness anymore to the posted pics. A lot courses go through maintenance and have their holes laid out differently than from the old pics, some trees and other obstacles have been removed and, vice versa, some holes now have natural obstacles that have grown since the original pics. You can't always go by the "media" of these courses anymore. Examples of a couple of courses near me that you can not go by pictures of anymore are Oaks in Mokena and Highland Park in Joliet. Not sure of the oldest course in Illinois, West Park, also in Joliet. That old 24 hole course was completely re-laid out and knocked down to 18 holes.

Last edited:
Nah, this course has been a sheet show since its inception. Designed by a non-playing park ranger. I play it once in a while when I'm camping on site, it hasn't changed. Hole 6 is manageable, hole 7 is an 8' wide "fairway" with multiple doglegs. So dumb.

-edit- 8' might be a bit generous. Oh, and there's also a ceiling :doh:

I only play it in winter/early spring. I played it last week. This course is so bad, on the most wide open hole (#10) the only obstacle is a birdhouse pole at about 250 feet. Yeah, I hit it.

We should get busloads of drunk Meechaganders to play mob golf until all the weeds are trampled. Maybe make it an annual event.

We should get busloads of drunk Meechaganders to play mob golf until all the weeds are trampled. Maybe make it an annual event.
Wasn't it part of the MOB series one year?

I go to East Harbor many times throughout the year. Swimming, camping, just taking a drive, visiting family in Port Clinton and Marblehead, etc, yet I still have not taken discs with me. EVERYONE I know that has played it says it's simply not worth it.

It was. Once. I don't think a tourney has been run there for a long time. MOB ran 1 event there in 2010, none since.

It's worth it to check it off the list, if you're into that kind of thing.

Wasn't it part of the MOB series one year?

I go to East Harbor many times throughout the year. Swimming, camping, just taking a drive, visiting family in Port Clinton and Marblehead, etc, yet I still have not taken discs with me. EVERYONE I know that has played it says it's simply not worth it.

If I was to play it in the summer, I would just play the playable holes. I think you could get at least 9 playable holes out of it.

Valk's review of the Jet Stream.

The Valkerie Kid said:
Navigating this course solo is somewhere between difficult and "Alex, I'll take a rusty nail in the cornea for $200."

The Valkerie Kid said:
the guide would have to be Katie Perry, buck naked, in order to coax a 5.0 rating out of me.

This was part of my response to a local course designer who wanted to explain away the flaws with his "baby" and call it a 5-disc course when it simply was, and is, not.

A LOT of hard work has been put in to clear brush, etc. I understand that this work is done by volunteers, so kudos to them. However, that doesn't mean this is a good course, and it doesn't mean there isn't a lot of work that still needs to be done. When I order a meal in a restaurant, my rating/satisfaction is based on the quality of the food and is not influenced by any struggles or limitations in the kitchen, etc. Why something is a "con" doesn't make it not a con. The course rating should be based on what is, and is not, there. The reasons should not affect the rating.

Those are my words, so I'm biased, but if every reviewer used that standard, the quality of reviews would go up significantly.

I loved Bogey's review of Panther Creek. It's a tough course that I love-hate and can't wait to play again. It's part of the Tennessee State Championships at the end of May, and since McBeth is registered for that event I bet we'll get to see it on video.

aclay- I agree. I solo designed my first course last year, went in the ground december, and I am fully aware of it's shortcomings. I can explain why they are the way they are, but won't try to get credit for what could've been the design. I can't add hills to a place (though I did use the ones I could find), and I can't ask a private course to put in full concrete tees when they took a year to raise the money for the baskets in the first place. So I think you're being fair, and I ask that people who review are fair as well (but I do hope they wait till the end of summer when tee signs get installed)

Baysinger's DG channel is going to be there, asked him about it in the GBO chat. Not sure if anyone else is going to be. Marty used to do it but he isn't filming anymore.

Latest posts