• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Classic Review lines

-Holes themselves are designed well, each hole is pretty unique, most holes have a clear "normal" play, but there is room to get weird also

/\ By Schreuds2.0

I appreciate knowing which courses allow me to keep it weird. More people could keep this in mind :p

This is something I've NEVER thought of, as either a pro or con, in all my years of playing. Thanks to this review of Sparkman Park, it's now something to take into consideration:
Cons: If you play barefoot some weeds have thorns.

Based on his list of played courses, I'm actually curious what courses are considered barefoot-friendly.

This is something I've NEVER thought of, as either a pro or con, in all my years of playing. Thanks to this review of Sparkman Park, it's now something to take into consideration:

Based on his list of played courses, I'm actually curious what courses are considered barefoot-friendly.

And who, in their right mind, would go out to play disc golf barefooted? Maybe someone too boozed up on the course?

And who, in their right mind, would go out to play disc golf barefooted? Maybe someone too boozed up on the course?

I've seen it before. There was a dude that used to come to Flaherty Park (a very viney and poison ivy riddled course) barefoot. Wasn't drunk or stoned either as far as I could tell...

I played a hole barefoot yesterday. I had to take off my shoes and socks to wade in after a disc so my feet and legs were wet as I went to the next hole. I just barefooted it to let evaporation take care of my problems. It was surprisingly a non-issue on the hole I played. I wouldn't go to a wooded course like that, though.

I've seen it before. There was a dude that used to come to Flaherty Park (a very viney and poison ivy riddled course) barefoot. Wasn't drunk or stoned either as far as I could tell...
There was a college kid here that used to wear sandals, and to throw he would slide them off and throw barefoot. He kept the sandals when he wasn't throwing, though.

Personally, I would never play barefoot, but I can see how some people might on certain (i.e. just a few, short, grassy, park style)courses.

There was a college kid here that used to wear sandals, and to throw he would slide them off and throw barefoot. He kept the sandals when he wasn't throwing, though.
I regularly play a park style course with someone who takes their flip-flops off for tee shots on the concrete. Wears them for all other shots. But he wears hikers for rougher/wooded courses.

Also knew guy who played most courses barefoot. That just wouldn't work for me. There's too many sharp/pointy twigs, sticks, burrs, seeds, cones, and other natural debris to warrant that, let alone broken glass.

Last edited:
I've seen this same woman a couple times playing Osage grove without shoes. It just baffles me how she doesn't wind up with a half inch thorn in her foot. I have to pull them out of the soles of my shoes pretty much after every time I go there...

I've seen this same woman a couple times playing Osage grove without shoes. It just baffles me how she doesn't wind up with a half inch thorn in her foot. I have to pull them out of the soles of my shoes pretty much after every time I go there...

That's one course I can't fathom in bare feet.

Bear feet maybe... but not bare feet.

There are some courses we used to play regularly, like Highland Park (used to be one of the more highly rated courses to play around here), where there is so much broken glass everywhere, almost embedded in the ground from the drinkers, that you wouldn't dare to play there even in thin soled shoes much less barefoot. You never know when, even on better maintained courses, a sharp object will rear it's ugly and hidden self. And I wouldn't want to be driving off concrete tee pads either in bare feet. Of course, some people might be like that dude from Dual Survivor who probably has half inch calluses on the bottom of his feet from never wearing shoes for many years. You know, the guy who wanted to walk across glaciers in just his socks :rolleyes:

I know a guy who would do everything nearly barefoot in some knock off Birkenstock's for disc golf in his early years of playing, Kyle Pinkman who eventually got some low cut cheep brand of hiking shoe from Running's Farm and Fleet after having a pear leaf off of a pear cactus stuck to bottom sole of one of the shoes that he could not remove. In winter tournaments he wore boots, some sort of Timberland hiker but in summer it was the knock off cheep Birkenstock's until the incident. I mean it is South Dakota, we have Pear Cactus here and a low to ground barrel cactus too.

I played a few rounds in the 1994 Worlds (Port Arthur, TX) with a guy from Hawaii who was barefoot all the time. I think his name was Jim (not sure of the last name) .

I used to play with a hippie-ish dude in the late 90's who played barefoot every round. He also didn't believe in the use of deodorant.

We had a Canadian guy once that rocked up to Lloyd park for a tournament and insisted he always played barefoot. Well ok mate, your choice, but have you encountered the British stinging nettle before?

"no, but i'll be fine"

I wish I had been in the group with him when he did.

Well ok mate, your choice, but have you encountered the British stinging nettle before?

pretty sure I lightly brushed up against one at quarry looking for your friends disc. It was awful.

From rhatton1's review of Whitcombe Farm:

Talk to the owners first to make sure it is good to play (I almost got my head blown off by a kid with a shotgun once, good times, he may or may not have been aiming for the outsider, this is rural Dorset after all and there are plenty of places to bury the body out here....)

That's about as helpful as a review can get. :|

From rhatton1's review of Whitcombe Farm:

That's about as helpful as a review can get. :|

To clarify, this wasn't a "git orrf myyy land" moment.

There was a pheasant shoot ongoing on the farm we were about 100' from a Dad and his young son on the shoot together aiming away from us. A pheasant flew up low, over their heads, then over ours, the kid swivelled tracking it and it was a combo of me and two others hitting the deck and the Dad smashing the barrel skywards that sent the shot over our heads.

Suffice to say I wouldn't play out there again when a shoot was underway!

I recall the Father being annoyedf with us for blocking a clear shot rather than apologetic though.

Latest posts