• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cleaning your discs

Do you clean your discs?

• All out bath

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • Wipe down (wet)

Votes: 41 27.9%
  • Dust off (dry)

Votes: 30 20.4%
  • No need to clean

Votes: 40 27.2%

• Total voters

sumo21

Eagle Member
My question to all is after a round(s), do you clean your discs. I usually wipe down or dust off the discs that I used that day unless there is a potential that the disc landed in poison oak, etc. Then I go all out bath for all the discs in my bag.

I wipe them off before they go back in the bag/cart after every throw. I've only washed them once at home, and I felt they were too slick for a couple rounds following so that was the last time.

Full bubble bath in the sink, with disc soap, a splash of bleach, and their own scrubbie sponge, after every time I use them, in the field, yard, or course.

Not that clean discs matter to me or anything.

I'll wipe the most mud off in the grass and any remaining dirt off with the towel after the hole. If any dirt dries I'll take them out when I get home and use a damp towel or a cleaning wipe. In south Louisiana this time of year and in the spring mud and rain is the norm, so cleaning is a must.

I wipe them off before they go back in the bag/cart after every throw. I've only washed them once at home, and I felt they were too slick for a couple rounds following so that was the last time.

:clap::clap::thmbup::thmbup:

Really depends on how much I play. I washed them all a couple weeks ago, but it had been over a year since I had done it last. Simply wiping them off before, and sometimes after a throw, seems to work just fine.

Just a dry wipe-down as needed while playing. Then, once a month, I send them out to be dry cleaned. :D

Rarely. But when I do, I go pretty thoroughly. Generally it's the baseline stuff that gets grimy.

I wipe a lot when I play, whether I'm wiping off dust/sand, mud, moisture, snow. I don't like the feel of anything between my hand and my disc (I have no use for birdie bags).

About once a year (when they start to look pretty grungy), I let them soak in warm water & mild dish soap then scrub with dish sponge. The soak loosens some of the heavier grunge, resulting in less elbow grease expended.

To be honest, any difference is probably all in my head... by that doesn't mean it's not real. I feel better when my putter's clean, so it's no surprise that I putt better when it's clean.

Last edited:
My question to all is after a round(s), do you clean your discs. I usually wipe down or dust off the discs that I used that day unless there is a potential that the disc landed in poison oak, etc. Then I go all out bath for all the discs in my bag.

Potential poison oak contamination changes the whole cleaning equation. Discs that landed in, or may have landed in, poison oak get cleaned with Tecnu or IvyX. Recently the rest of the bags' discs went through the dishwasher.

I usually wipe down after each throw on wet rounds and call them good. Once every few months they get washed in the sink with dish soap.

I mainly play in the morning so just playing gets them pretty clean as the dew and me constantly wiping them dry with a towel gets them clean. The only time I'd use soap and water is to actually clean are rare circumstances like flying my disc into nasty sitting water/mud where the smell won't go away lol. I could see doing it too if I got a new disc and it was greasy or something.

I don't think I've ever outright washed a disc. I'll wipe off mud or water when it picks it up on the course, but that's the extent of the washing that my discs receive.

Wash them after every round when it's muddy, like in the spring or fall. Other than that, if it's dry out, I don't wash them. Unless, it's a course with a lot of poison ivy, then they get a thorough scrubbing.

I wipe them with a towel after most throws and occasionally will use a wet rag to wipe them down, but not terribly often. No need to get them super clean unless it's hindering my grip or I'm breaking out the dye.

pretty sure i have a whole bunch of discs at home from the 90's that haven't seen anything more than a dry rag wipe during a round.

13-13-13-11 right now. Very even. I would do an all out bath more often if it weren't so time consuming. Also, they work just fine with the dust-off, so that's what I voted.