• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold play sucks!

the COOL thing I like about playing in unfavorable conditions is that you know your probally one of the FEW that are CRAZY enough to BRAVE the conditions and ENJOY playing a round of DISC GOLF whereas others are waiting all winter long in their homes for WARM WEATHER.

key words here... COOL, FEW, CRAZY, BRAVE, ENJOY, DISC GOLF, WARM WEATHER

Think spring everybody and until then may the course be with you all through the Holiday season and the New Year ------------------------------------------------ - +

If you're bitching about 37 there's something wrong with you. Yesterday the high temperature here was 8 degrees.

The last time I played my home course, it was ~35 and sunny. I wore a sweatshirt and had to roll the sleeves up because I was overheating.

I played on tuesday, I believe the temp was hovering right around 5. I was a bit chilly, so I put my face mask on, which in turn let the condensation from my breath freeze to my eye lashes.....

Yeah, I wasn't too mad if I missed a putt or two that day.

I have learned the blessed joy of the handwarmer on cold days. They make a HUGE difference in helping with grip when you otherwise can't feel your fingers.
I HATE the cold weather too though and would much prefer 100 degrees to 40 degrees or below.

Yeah I figured based on your location...but try Wisconsin heat plus humidity :(. And I guess this past summer was actually mild compared to usual(I didn't really remember what past summers had been like)
Just calling it mild is a bit of an understatement. I know in Iowa we had the coolest July on record. I don't think we got above 90 more than a couple times this whole summer. Usually it's above 90 for a good month.

For me the only issue I have with playing in the cold is having my grip suffer because of cold hands and wet discs from snow. I found a set of electricians gloves at lowes for under $5 that I can actually throw with, they have fabric backs and rubberized palms and fingers, and fint very tightly with now seams. They seem to give a great grip even with wet champ/z discs, and keep my hands from getting nearly as cold.

This picture shows the back, but you can see the rubbery material that comes up over the tips of the fingers:
31jpudda7lL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I didn't think so either, but they were less than $5 so I thought I'd try them. They actually work, and feel very comfortable while throwing. They make it a whole lot easier to play on days where the highs are in the single digits.

There were a bunch of different kinds in the section with the work gloves, I just tried a bunch on until I found the ones that felt like they would do the best job of not getting in the way. The gloves I ended up getting are number 11-801 if that helps, made by Ansell (who also makes condoms, go figure :p)

I use these exact same type of gloves for work (Coca Cola), and they are grippy enough to easily palm 12 packs of drinks with. They are comfortable to wear, and, will keep your hands fairly warm to a certain point. I had wondered if they would work while throwing discs. The only down side, I would imagine, would be if you have a grip lock........Talk about a really off target throw!!

David

You guys really have to remember...His summers get a lot warmer than ours up here where we get really frigid winters. Though I'd rather have a dry heat than the humid 90F weather.

Yup, you can have 90 and humid all summer long. Just got back from playing. About 33, some thin, crunchy snow, bare in some areas. Actually, the wind died down and it was really clear and sunny. A beautiful day for December in the NE. I'll take it...

I have learned the blessed joy of the handwarmer on cold days. They make a HUGE difference in helping with grip when you otherwise can't feel your fingers.
I HATE the cold weather too though and would much prefer 100 degrees to 40 degrees or below.

Wow you guys really don't know cold do you... When it was 40 degrees I was playing in pants and a t-shirt.

Just got back from playing as well. Slipped and fell on my 2nd drive; planted foot and was going down while my arm was in motion and threw half way down lol.

Between footing and the heavy jacket, I was only throwing like 200' since I couldnt plant and rotate much and my arm was restricted.

Except my Defender did get a little further. I usually use it for annies but it seemed to be most accepting of just putting some spin on it and letting it glide without fading out.

I'm kind of a freak of nature, I grew up (first 14 years of existence) in a crappy trailer without heating or air conditioning. Everyone thinks I'm crazy b/c in the winter my thermostat never gets above 65 and during the summer never below 80. I hate temperature discrepancies.

Yup, you can have 90 and humid all summer long. Just got back from playing. About 33, some thin, crunchy snow, bare in some areas. Actually, the wind died down and it was really clear and sunny. A beautiful day for December in the NE. I'll take it...

Heh I wish it was that nice out here. It all ended after that big snow storm last wednesday night...though I had fun doing a bit of sliding around in my college parking lot after my night class finished ;).

Just played a round at one of my local courses here in New Hampshire. 10" of snow with a solid 1/2" ice topping. It took three of us 2 1/2 hours to finish 18 holes. The wind was also blowing about 30 miles an hour as it has been for the past few days. One of the holes is 500' across an open field, straight into the wind. If you didn't tombstone your disc into the crust, the wind would hold your disc on edge and blow it 200' perpendicular to the basket. Interesting conditions, but it was a heck of a workout.

winter is when forehanders dominate, since you don't have to do any run up to get about as much distance, at least in my experience. As for cold, 37 is shorts and teeshirt weather, but I guess maybe not if you live way down south. I wanted to go today but had to study for finals, it was a balmy 12 degrees with only a 5-10 mile per hour wind. Last year, me and my buddy tried playing one day when it was -3 with a 25-30 mph wind... I don't think I'll try it again.
But I would say that for everybody that does want to play, just wear some extra shorts under your pants, it helps way more than you think it would. Also an extra t-shirt or long sleeve tee is always good. And under armor.

winter is when forehanders dominate.

Yes, it is. Learned that after a while. Also, slide a nice one accrosed frozen snow. Was an accident, I worm burned a Predator, hit the snow about 150 ft in front of me and watched it skip and slide another 150 or more.