• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold Weather Disc Golf

When buying a fleece vest make sure it doesn't have mesh pockets.
The zippo fuel type hand warmers work best for me.
I bought an electric zippo hand warmer that doesn't work very well.
In the winter I see more hand warmers laying around the course than beer cans.

When buying a fleece vest make sure it doesn't have mesh pockets.
The zippo fuel type hand warmers work best for me.
I bought an electric zippo hand warmer that doesn't work very well.
In the winter I see more hand warmers laying around the course than beer cans.

If you dress warm, you won't need hand warmers. I see people on the course shaking their silly hand warmers and shoving their hands in their pockets trying to warm up and I'll I'm thinking is this poor sap isn't dressed warm enough.

Chuckling at you people in warmer climates. I always find it amusing when I visit places like Houston or Phoenix in the "wintertime" and you guys are wearing jackets, long pants, beanies, etc and I'm running around in shorts and a tee shirt enjoying the warm weather.

Last December I went down to GA to visit an old Army buddy and I hit Langley Pond on the way back. It was sunny and a balmy 50 degrees. The locals were bundled up like the kid from A Christmas Story and I was in a T shirt and just loving life. That trip made me seriously consider moving South.

I got a new coat from Duluth Trading co and figured today (29 degrees but sunny) would be a good test. It worked like a charm, kept me warm enough and even has some vents near the arm pits I left open so I wouldn't get overheated in it.

I got a new coat from Duluth Trading co and figured today (29 degrees but sunny) would be a good test. It worked like a charm, kept me warm enough and even has some vents near the arm pits I left open so I wouldn't get overheated in it.

Don't be a fink
Give us a link

;)

I have a heated vest paired with a 10,000 mAh battery pack. That gives me approximately 6 hours of heat at the medium setting. This allows me to get away with wearing just two hoodies even in negative windchill. Since I am not wearing anything bulky, I have better range of arm motion.

The other must-have for any day below 20 degrees is the electric hand warmer. On a full charge being used at the medium setting, they last about 3 hours. No need to take off my left mitten/glove, but putting that hand warmer in the right mitten keeps my hand warm until it is time to throw. If I have a warm hand, I have good grip and no issue with the disc snapping out of my hand.

I have the standard winter gear for everything else. So, with the vest and hand warmer, I have played in temperatures as low as -55 wind chill with no problems.

The only other change I make is that I will switch over to my contacts over my glasses. I hate my glasses when they fog up. On courses where I do not need to throw over 300 feet, I can even get by without wearing those glasses if I have to.

If you dress warm, you won't need hand warmers. I see people on the course shaking their silly hand warmers and shoving their hands in their pockets trying to warm up and I'll I'm thinking is this poor sap isn't dressed warm enough.

Color me confused. Hand warmers are a good solution to keep your hand warm.

It is better than constantly taking your gloves off, with the inherent risk of dropping and losing a glove.

Dressing warm keeps your body warm, not your hands. This is from someone who lives in western NY state.

I'm in the hand warmer camp.

My core, arms, legs and feet can be nice and warm, but I need gloves and hand warmers to play in cold weather. Once my fingers get cold, my game goes to hell. I have no feel for putting or finesse shots, and it doesn't help my driving, either. I put 'em in my hoody pocket at least an hour before tee off, so they're nice and warm. By the time I get to the course.

People are different. Some people's hands or feet get cold easier than others'.

One thing I try to be conscious of, is picking up thrown discs with my off hand in snowy conditions, to reduce heat loss from my throwing hand, and help keep it/my glove dry.

I'm in the hand warmer camp.

My core, arms, legs and feet can be nice and warm, but I need gloves and hand warmers to play in cold weather. Once my fingers get cold, my game goes to hell. I have no feel for putting or finesse shots, and it doesn't help my driving, either. I put 'em in my hoody pocket at least an hour before tee off, so they're nice and warm. By the time I get to the course.

People are different. Some people's hands or feet get cold easier than others'.

One thing I try to be conscious of, is picking up thrown discs with my off hand in snowy conditions, to reduce heat loss from my throwing hand, and help keep it/my glove dry.

Everyone is different for sure. I don't really get cold hands. I usually have a pair of hand warmers and wool gloves in my vest pockets, but rarely go to them after the first couple holes. Went out Sat, 29 degrees, 10-15mph winds and about an inch of snow on the ground.
Long pants, med weight smart wool socks under my Keens, UnderArmor compression cold gear shirt with a lightweight merino wool shirt over it. Topped with a fleece vest. A bit chilly getting going, but man, a few holes in and I was great. I don't really use gloves, I am lucky, my hands warm up and never get cold. I pick up the disc and wipe off the snow with my bare hands.

Hand warmers of some type are a must for me. I like reusable, I have a butane wispr vaporizer.. It's loud but it sure keeps my hands and back pocket toasty. Accidental result is sometimes I get extra toasted. No batteries just butane.

A beer cozy isn't a bad idea, to keep your hand warmer.. Looks funny but makes sense... and itcan keep your beer from freezing.

Often I one glove it like MJ.. Keep the thrower in my pocket.

Long underwear is good but don't wear undies underneath. They ride up.

Last edited:
So...anyone have issues with excessive snotting in cold weather (sorry, that's the clearest I can describe it!)

I know what causes it--breathing in cold air, and my nose react by producing all the mucous to warm and moisten the air before it gets to the lungs. What I don't know it how to address it, because its very annoying. Even a face mask has not helped much (and I hate them they are so itchy). It does not matter how warm the rest of me is, only what the air temp is...

Anyone else deal with this and/or have suggestions?

I recently bought some Gerry brand fleece-lined pants at Costco, and I'm now kicking myself for not getting some of these sooner. These rank right up there with a hot shower and micro-fiber bed sheets in winter as one of life's simple pleasures, so comfortable, and warm, too.

So...anyone have issues with excessive snotting in cold weather (sorry, that's the clearest I can describe it!)

I know what causes it--breathing in cold air, and my nose react by producing all the mucous to warm and moisten the air before it gets to the lungs. What I don't know it how to address it, because its very annoying. Even a face mask has not helped much (and I hate them they are so itchy). It does not matter how warm the rest of me is, only what the air temp is...

Anyone else deal with this and/or have suggestions?

Press one side of your nose until one nostril is closed. Turn your head away from any card mates, being mindful of wind direction and speed. Forcefully exhale through your open nostril, ejecting excess snot hopefully onto the ground. Repeat with other nostril.

Use hand sanitizer before any high fives, fist bumps or handshakes.

Color me confused. Hand warmers are a good solution to keep your hand warm.

It is better than constantly taking your gloves off, with the inherent risk of dropping and losing a glove.

Dressing warm keeps your body warm, not your hands. This is from someone who lives in western NY state.

Dressing warm definitely keeps your hands warm. It's all cumulative, as the blood flows in and out constantly. I notice a difference in extremity warmth depending upon how I'm layered up. For example let's say its below freezing out, say 25 degrees. If I'm in snow pants and long underwear, I can often get away with wearing just regular GTX Terrex shoes as long as there isn't a ton of snow down. But if I don't have the snow pants on and just have regular athletic wear pants, I notice my feet will get cold and I'll have to wear insulated winter boots.

Same goes for my hands too, depending upon how dressed up I am. Your hands and feet are the canary in the coal mine for how you're dressed. They're the first to get cold, and if they start to it tells me I'm not layered up appropriately.

I've played this week in single digit real feels and will play in much colder this coming January, and I do not use hand warmers at all, and a lot of the time I have to leave my throwing glove stuffed away in my bag for extended periods of time because my throwing hand will get too hot and sweaty.

You're definitely right about gloves getting easily lost. That's an issue no doubt, but so is your discs, phone, beer, birdie bag, and whatever else. I've tried to have a good system in place where I keep things and try to keep the libations to a reasonable level to keep that at bay.

Last edited:

Latest posts