• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold weather Golf. HELP!

i too am from alaska i saw that sucker sitting on the picnic table the other day i tend to bring stronger drink in the winter or buy warm beer off the floor maybe a koozie with pockets for hand warmers would be ideal gloves long johns warm hat and maybe some spikes for your shoes if there is any ice at all u will definitely be using more upper body and that takes some d off as we all know

i too am from alaska i saw that sucker sitting on the picnic table the other day i tend to bring stronger drink in the winter or buy warm beer off the floor maybe a koozie with pockets for hand warmers would be ideal gloves long johns warm hat and maybe some spikes for your shoes if there is any ice at all u will definitely be using more upper body and that takes some d off as we all know

nice, Alaskans coming out of the woodwork. u should get with me and ridestreet84 and throw a game. i live in wasilla you should come out and add it to your list of played courses

i never played alcantra i make it to peters creek or otherwise south plus i dont have a vehicle:doh: id like to give that course a look tho never even seen it or heard much about it and what i have heard isnt great no offense

Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so after 5 winters I had an epiphany the other day. I'd been getting frustrated with the lack of distance in the cold air and then it occurred to me, less leaves on the trees and less small branches. So now the windows of opportunity are larger and with all the extra clothing, unsure footing, & cold air means your accuracy doesn't have to be so exacting.

Question. Is star plastic good enough for the cold. I looked in my bag, and I mostly have Champ style plasti, a few star molds, and one pro putter mold.

Yes, I am from Phoenix, but will be getting out to New York and Colorado most likely.

i find star or esp to be grippier in the cold. i also find champ/z to be alright as long as its not brand new slippery stuff. i tried using my newish cryztal buzzz a bit and that thing would just slip right outta my hand like someone rubbed butter on it but my 2 yr old z buzzz is okie dokie

I'll support the handwarmer idea. These are always with me for the annual ice bowl(s) in the area. I've even been known to line my bag with them to keep my plastic from getting too cold. Hope this helps!

I'll support the handwarmer idea. These are always with me for the annual ice bowl(s) in the area. I've even been known to line my bag with them to keep my plastic from getting too cold. Hope this helps!

I like the idea of putting them in the bag:clap:.

Any tips for keeping water from freezing at cold temps? I typically use a powerade bottle, but at much colder than 20F it gets slushy and freezes the opening shut. A thermos might work, but is bulky and tedious to use. Looking for some middle ground, something insulated, easy to drink from, that won't freeze up the opening mechanism. Anybody have experience? Anybody have any ideas?

Ok guys... cold air is more dense. That means two things are true:

1) LESS High Speed Stability (more high speed turn aka flippy)
2) MORE Low Speed Stability (more low speed fade aka fade... (just go with it))

Here's why:

Denser air will create a larger air pressure difference between the top and bottom of your disc than less dense air, which causes lift and will push your disc up and over more easily. However denser air has more drag than less dense air, which will slow the disc down quicker and cause it to hyzer out faster.

Personally i use discs that have nuetral flight ratings in winter and rely more on release angles than understable/overstable flight characteristics.

Lastly, there's grip differences. Getting less of a good grip on cold plastic will decrease distance as there is less potential energy transfer from your fingers to the disc with a weaker grip.

jrawk's got it right. For the same amount of energy and angle on release, discs in colder, denser air fly more understable out of your hand but finish more stable and your distance will be less. That's why you'll hear players say discs fly more stable or less stable in the winter because both are true depending on when you watch the flight.

Does anyone use lotion/moisturizer to combat dry hands in the winter? If so a specifuc product or brand you really like?

Any tips for keeping water from freezing at cold temps? I typically use a powerade bottle, but at much colder than 20F it gets slushy and freezes the opening shut. A thermos might work, but is bulky and tedious to use. Looking for some middle ground, something insulated, easy to drink from, that won't freeze up the opening mechanism. Anybody have experience? Anybody have any ideas?

Stow it upside down. Water freezes at the "top", so the opening won't freeze.

Or, try keeping it inside your clothes.

Does anyone use lotion/moisturizer to combat dry hands in the winter? If so a specifuc product or brand you really like?

I was wondering the same thing. I played yesterday and everything felt slippery so I could not get a good grip. I tend to lick my fingers even in warm weather but don't wan't to keep wetting my skin when it's cold.

I believe gatorade has salt in it... it will freeze at a lower temp than water. So will alcohol. Grip is a huge problem for me in the cold, change your shot so that it's less fancy.. if you can throw straighter simpler shots rather than big turnover spin shots you remove some of the necessity for grip. I like to practice putting with wet discs it will change the way you think sbout your throws.

A hot pocket in your gloved non throwing hand helps too, stashing your disc in your coat warms it before the throw.

Layers. Layers layers layers. I use thick socks, thermal undergarments (top & bottom if really cold, usually just top) long sleeve tee, short sleeve tee, rain/wind resistant poly-spandex sports jacket. A really good sock hat, which is absolutely clutch. I don't use gloves very often, but one good glove for your offhand and a thick mitten for your throwing hand is the way to go. Mitten is easy on and off and you can tuck a hand warmer in it. This usually keeps me well down to the single digits. I hate ski masks but can see the sense in a scarf.

I try to keep gloves on both hands as much as i can. Take one off to throw, then put it back on. Also i think alot more about grip. Generally i grip the disc just a little harder in the winter. Hands get really cold fast so its easy to mess up your grip and have early release of the disc(certain plastics are worse for this).

also slow it all down. half of the mistakes in the winter are mental. Try to play your normal game and dont rush through shots or putts just because its cold.

Is champion type plastic ok to throw in colder temps or will the plastic crack? I imagine Star and Pro plastic is ok to throw in the colder temps. Actually thinking about throwing in the snow today...