• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

College of the Redwoods or Humbolt State?

Rescue

Eagle Member
Will be heading up there next week and had a couple questions. So is it correct that the back 9 is pulled for winter at C of R?. I heard that HS has more signage up. So do you think I can navigate it (1st time) or do you still need a guide? I also saw that there are three nine holers in the area. Are they worth checking out or should I stick to the two 18 hole courses. Finally I saw BOP is prvt and you must call 1st if you want to play. Is this an easy thing to do? and is it worth the minimal hassle of trying to play there?

Thanks and Peace!

Play the Redwood Curtain. The hardest part is finding hole 1 really. A guide would be helpfull, but not 100% needed. Cotr is a fun course but nowhere near as good. I've heard they do pull the 9 in the winter too. PM Humchris he'll know everything you need to know. Call Caleb for Birds. I would for sure play it if you're able. The 9 holers around there are nothing special.

HSU over Cotr for sure, a guide shouldn't be hard to find, it sees enough traffic that you should be able to find someone in the parking lot. BoP can be very difficult to get onto, you gotta time it just right that someone can show you around or for an event. But it's definitely well worth the play (tops my list of 1130 courses). Mad River Pump station is a fun little 9 holer, hit it up if you have spare time. The other 9 holers are not worth prioritizing.

You need a guide for the curtain or the frustration will overcome the experience especially if the back nine is in. Don't park in the parking lot next to the course, park on the street and walk up the hill.

When are you planing on coming up? I might be able to show you around, if I have the time off from work. I will warn you though, if you are planing on coming up the weekend after valentines day, then you won't be able to play the Curtain, as we are having one of our biggest tourneys of the year that weekend. You might be able to squeeze in a morning round or evening round, but during the day, the course will be inaccessible.

Edit: I just saw that you said next week, so you will be OK in regards to the tourney, but if you pick the right days to come up, *cough* Thursday or Friday *cough*. I'll be happy to guide you around the course.

Last edited:
2nd Edit: I didn't read the whole thing earlier, you asked about BOP. Yes BOP is worth playing. It may be hard to get a time. Call Caleb first to get a tee time. But if that doesn't work (as Caleb is often busy running his shop and taking care of his kids), you can let me know in advance when you are thinking of playing, and I can try to get my other buddy, who lives down close to BOP and has permission to play from Caleb's parents, as well as the combo for the gate, to get us in.

Thank you all for the info. humchris, I'll be heading up on the 5th, but not sure if I'll stop in then? Just depends on when I hit the area. My for sure day is the 10th since I'll be passing through there in the morning (approx 1100 to 1300). Just depends when I leave Brookings? If my friends are up for it and I can talk them into it. Friday (7th) is possible, but not likely. Plus they are noobs and I'm not sure the Curtain is cool for noobs?
It's very cool of you to offer to show me around the Curtain. I hope are paths cross when I'm up there. Thanks again for the info!

Peace!

Latest posts