• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Here is what I forget about the Comet sometimes: It is my very very best friend when I am playing a new course I haven't played before.

Haven't learned the lines through the trees yet? Comet - lazer beam straight through the middle out to about 300'. Hole goes right? Float a Comet turnover and walk around the corner to find it sitting in the middle about 300' from the tee. Hole goes left? Well, there are Rocs for that.

I played 7 new courses on a bagging trip last weekend. Comet saw, by far, the most throws.

That is exactly how I use my Rocs and Comets. Love dem floaty mids. :)

To the previously posted LE picture: My most stable is similar to the one with swirls on it. Money. Can take a full power throw from me which is around 320~ on a dead straight shot with a flat release.

Last edited:
DISCRAFT:

MJ SIG COMETS NOW. NOT LE, PRODUCTION RUN

I can agree with that.

With that said, what Comet should I bag if I only have room for one? I like the X I have but wouldn't mind breaking something else in that would be more durable. Would prefer something I could pick up that is a current run, and I don't mind them nice and domey. Currently throwing only Rocs but I think there is room in there for a Comet.

I can agree with that.

With that said, what Comet should I bag if I only have room for one? I like the X I have but wouldn't mind breaking something else in that would be more durable. Would prefer something I could pick up that is a current run, and I don't mind them nice and domey. Currently throwing only Rocs but I think there is room in there for a Comet.

X is great, but more durable the Z is good too.
I did not like the Big Z nearly as well.

I can agree with that.

I use Comets for any midrange shot unless the wind is up or I really need some aggressive fade in which case I use a KC Roc. Seasoned X for understable, Z for stable and just pick the lines.

I can agree with that.

I would go with a beat, domey 177+ Z. To me the sweet spot on a Comet is when it flips some and locks into a line. You can do pretty much anything with that. Hyzerflip to hyzer, flip to flat, turnover...you name it. :)

I can agree with that.

"X" is always a good choice but not as stable as the others. I really like the feel of the Big-Z Comet, it's not as slick as "Z". Just make sure you find a domed one as some are sort of flat.

If you have no grip issues with "Z", then I guess that would be the option. ESP might be another. I love the plastic but haven't been able to find one in higher weights to try.

I also in general throw lighter Comets, lower 170s just to make throwing them easier and maximize their glide for my arm speed.

"X" is always a good choice but not as stable as the others. I really like the feel of the Big-Z Comet, it's not as slick as "Z". Just make sure you find a domed one as some are sort of flat.

If you have no grip issues with "Z", then I guess that would be the option. ESP might be another. I love the plastic but haven't been able to find one in higher weights to try.

It's funny how everyone's tactile sensations are so different. I felt the Big Z was much slicker than regular Z.

Huh.

I preferred the Glo Z and the higher shouldered ESP. But then these TI came along. And they're really good.

It's funny how everyone's tactile sensations are so different. I felt the Big Z was much slicker than regular Z.

Huh.

Yeah, I have really dry hands and most "Z" plastic (and Champion plastic too) is just too slick, I can't get a grip on it.

For the most part there's a plastic for everyone, just have to try them out.

Just picked up my first x comet recently, loving the disc. Haven't wrapped it around a tree yet. How's the durability on the x plastic?

Was eyeballing a Big Z Pearly one, how do these compare as far as flight characteristics? Just a bit more stable?

the big z i've thrown (all two of them) were flippy. i've also seen some others throw theirs and they seemed flippy. these were the meatball (ugly stamp) comets.

i think they should give them an official name now instead of big z. call them meatball comets. worst stamp ever. they need to bring the old stamps back.

oh, and x holds up fairly well. i'd say about as well as driver pro.

the big z i've thrown (all two of them) were flippy. i've also seen some others throw theirs and they seemed flippy. these were the meatball (ugly stamp) comets.

i think they should give them an official name now instead of big z. call them meatball comets. worst stamp ever. they need to bring the old stamps back.

oh, and x holds up fairly well. i'd say about as well as driver pro.

Not to start an argument, but my Big-Z is more stable than both of my "X's". Maybe I got a fluke as it's my only big-Z, but I'm pretty happy with it. And while I do prefer the older stamps, I really don't mind the flying Meatball stamp at all, I think it's kind of funny. I don't need to be a bad-ass disc golfer, I like a sense of humor.

Not to start an argument, but my Big-Z is more stable than both of my "X's". Maybe I got a fluke as it's my only big-Z, but I'm pretty happy with it. And while I do prefer the older stamps, I really don't mind the flying Meatball stamp at all, I think it's kind of funny. I don't need to be a bad-ass disc golfer, I like a sense of humor.

no argument - like i said, pretty small sample size and i can't speak for others' OAT. i prefer elite x myself; love their flight. the older elite x i had with the planet stamp felt more like an esp blend, which was amazing. felt real substantial whereas newer x feels more like driver pro. great plastic either way.

I laugh when I see the stamp. Always makes me think of Madballs. :D

madballs-i-mockery.gif