• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Comet vs. Stingray .... differences

thanks for the detailed info Marmoset and discussion everyone.

after throwing the comet a bit more, it feels like it could take the 'beat DX roc' slot. I feel like I have to throw the roc a lot harder than the stingray or comet to get it to flip. I can throw the SR and comet with more confidence in the woods because I feel like I have a better idea of what they are going to do, and can throw them with more finesse and not worry about getting the turnover.

DX stingrays do beat in quickly. I'm in a weird spot at the moment because 'old faithful' has gotten uber-flippy, for air shots Ive been throwing it with a fan grip because with a power grip it turns too much. Great for rollers though! Its my best roller, can accurately put it out to about 325' now. And the newish DX one needs some more tree hits to get to the sweet spot. As mentioned before, I have a champ one at max weight that's practically a different disc. I've only been using it in the wind and for some forehand shots.

I know, I know ... stingray for forehand??!? Sounds crazy, but if you can learn the touch for it it's an amazing shot. On tight wooded courses for drives/upshots after bad drives, I will throw it with no run-up. Nice and easy, lots of hyzer, and the thing flies and drops on a rope like my Magics.

It's so well played, the raised letters above San Marino are worn flat.
The core piece wasn't tooled very well. For as long as I can remember you could barely read the "Innova-Champion" above the San Marino even when a Stingray was brand spanking new.

Comet in z is turns more in hss and less on lss for me. Stingrays are the rental disc at resort courses cuz they fly decent and fairly straight.

I'm interested in this as well. I throw a really old Ch.SR that probably shouldn't even be in my bag. Mine has really resilient plastic, much like CE. The flight path is amazing... a looong flat understable glide with near zero fade. I think it may be worth something dollar wise, but it's play value far excededs whatever that may be. It's the last Innova in my bag and I want it out (on my wall). To move on from here, I need to replace it. The Comet may do it. I'm gonna try, since the Buzzz's are getting me nowhere.

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I freaking Love my CE plastic stingrays. 2 in bag, and I drive them on 4-5 holes per round. I have never found anything close to its guaranteed steady fade. My heavy stingray is getting more beat in. I have three fresh back ups, but would like to find a $15 replacement. Thinking the Comet may be it. Any help is appreciated.

I belive the comet was a Z, but I cant remember, it was a flydye. I traded it for a goblin that I really like and use often. And the stingray is a San Marino, and it closer to 12 years old now that I think about it. Its very understable, but its gotten me out of some jams over the years. I just cant seem to retire it.

Biz
Team Bert

Try a Discraft Stratus elite X. Sounds like exactly what your looking for.

I love old threads, I read though the first few pages and realize that the thread is 5 years old.

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I freaking Love my CE plastic stingrays. 2 in bag, and I drive them on 4-5 holes per round. I have never found anything close to its guaranteed steady fade. My heavy stingray is getting more beat in. I have three fresh back ups, but would like to find a $15 replacement. Thinking the Comet may be it. Any help is appreciated.

You could try a Theory.

I also love ce stingrays they are amazing flying discs. I have a couple comets and while they are nice they are not really like ce rays. I've never found a mid really similar to them actually which is why I have about ten backups.

Closest thing to a CE Stingray is a Star Ontario Stingray.
Slightly more stable than a CE Stingray, but willing to turn if you give it enough speed.
Very hard to find, and they do not glide as well as the old CE Stinger.

X Stratus would be comparable to a dx stingray, ce stingrays are quite different in flight.
It's the curse of talking about golf discs. Start a thread and watch two guys say the disc flies completely differently. The find out one is throwing a trashed DX one backhand and the other guy is throwing a new Champ one forehand. :\

Once you start talking the CE Stingrays or the old Ontario Star Stingrays you are in boutique disc land. I'm aware of them. I've seen them. I've never owned or thrown one. I'm sure the only thing they have in common with DX Stingrays are the name stamped on them, there is no way they are going to fly the same. Were the Super Stingrays anywhere close in flight to the CE Stingray?

It's the curse of talking about golf discs. Start a thread and watch two guys say the disc flies completely differently. The find out one is throwing a trashed DX one backhand and the other guy is throwing a new Champ one forehand. :\

Once you start talking the CE Stingrays or the old Ontario Star Stingrays you are in boutique disc land. I'm aware of them. I've seen them. I've never owned or thrown one. I'm sure the only thing they have in common with DX Stingrays are the name stamped on them, there is no way they are going to fly the same. Were the Super Stingrays anywhere close in flight to the CE Stingray?

The super stingrays were slower less glide and more stable than ce stingrays, more like a crappy buzz than a ce stingray. I'm sure with all the options out these days you can find something somewhat close to a ce ray although I haven't been successful yet. Ce stingrays are amazing discs If innova could mold them in the sanny mold again I think it would be very popular.

In my experience the Stingray and Comet are similar in flight, Ray feels a bit more lean and fast in the hand. And comes out more cleanly for me. Comet bever feels very fast but is easy to manipulate and can also go very far. I've thrown both on hyzerflip BH shots in Champ/Z plastic up to 350 but I would trust neithe run a headwind.

I don't bag an underatable mid. Quite the contrary my two mids are stable and very Overstable, but if I did the Stingray and its shallower depth for my grip well.

My dad and daughter both bag stingrays most o the time. It is often the old mans longest disc at around 225. When his shoulder is feeling sore and he can't get his Sidewinder up to speed it's all he throws.

The little girl and get hers up to 100 in the air but will roll it much further.

I'm surprised you jumped back in this thread...short answer is no. Brando said it pretty well, the SS is noticeably more stable and just doesn't seem right. Same with the King Cobra trying to emulate the old Ontario Cobras (which I love). Don't forget the CEs don't fly like a good ole' DX either.

Also don't forget half of the responses didn't read the OP date!

I'm surprised you jumped back in this thread...short answer is no. Brando said it pretty well, the SS is noticeably more stable and just doesn't seem right. Same with the King Cobra trying to emulate the old Ontario Cobras (which I love). Don't forget the CEs don't fly like a good ole' DX either.

Also don't forget half of the responses didn't read the OP date!
I only read back to the thread that said "Yesterday" on it. :|

Now after reading back, everybody should ignore everything I posted in this thread in 2010; I was wrong about the old Ontario Stingrays. Jay Dub called me on it a couple of years ago; there was a short time around maybe 1990 that they switched the Stingray to the Ontario mold before going back to the San Marino mold. If you have any questions about that, ask Jay Dub 'cause I don't know.

The super stingrays were slower less glide and more stable than ce stingrays, more like a crappy buzz than a ce stingray. I'm sure with all the options out these days you can find something somewhat close to a ce ray although I haven't been successful yet. Ce stingrays are amazing discs If innova could mold them in the sanny mold again I think it would be very popular.
The difference might be the top. There was something about that old Stingray top. Since it wore out, Sentinels have not been the same. They are slower now, although Sentinels are less beefy instead of more beefy. The DX Stingray is slower now as well. Whatever they did when the re-created the top, they just didn't nail it. It would be nice if they would just acknowledge that and give it another go. Maybe then you could kinda/sorta get a CE Stingray flight out of a Champ Stingray.

The difference might be the top. There was something about that old Stingray top. Since it wore out, Sentinels have not been the same. They are slower now, although Sentinels are less beefy instead of more beefy. The DX Stingray is slower now as well. Whatever they did when the re-created the top, they just didn't nail it. It would be nice if they would just acknowledge that and give it another go. Maybe then you could kinda/sorta get a CE Stingray flight out of a Champ Stingray.

The rim is also convex on the new www stingrays they also feel deeper. Super stingrays have a small bead if I remember correctly. the Sannies were concave in the wing and your right the top is much better if innova could reproduce that top they would revive two molds that don't get much love anymore, sentinels and rays.

Latest posts