• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coming to Denver for Phish Labor Day

cooker

Par Member
I'm in the early stages of planning my trip and appreciate any input. Flying in early wed am. Phish concerts at Dicks fri/sat/sun nites. I'm looking to play as many of the best courses in the area as I can, with travel time wed/thur and keeping it local show days.

tentative thoughts are:

wed- rocky mt, ghost town, then drive to and play beaver ranch (sleep near by)
thurs- phantom, magic, bailey

that leaves blair witch, badlands, gulch, and CHU for show day mornings.

are those wed/thurs plans even possible? If not, what would you eliminate? Is there other denver based courses i should be considering? anyone wanna golf?

I am heading to the shows too and would be psyched to throw a round. Probably only have time for one, but would be psyched to check out a Denver course (I'm from OR)....I'll have a car so.. We are staying close to the venue (3 miles). Can't wait. We played Telluride 2 summers ago and that was a fun course for what it was (awesome scenery) but I have never played Denver.

I'm sure I'd be up for a round. I have a CHU season pass so I can bring a guest. If caravan wants to tag, I'm sure I could come up with another pass holder to come along.

Badlands/Blair is on the same property and can be played as 27. Paco/Gulch is only 15 mins from me.

Last edited:
Two others I would recommend would be Johnny Roberts in Arvada and Jellystone down in Castlerock. You shouldn't make a trip to Denver and not play Johnny. Get there early. :thmbup:

Bird's Nest and Valmont

I'd encourage you to investigate these two parks that I play most regularly in the Metro area, being in the NW suburbs. Valmont is a new, short 18 hole with a fun, short, technical hill, and general upshot practice. It is where I spend most of my DG time.

Bird's Nest is closer to downtown metro Denver, and features 27 holes and some unique elevation. We had the local Ice Bowl there.

Johnny Roberts Memorial Park in Arvada is the great old local standby. Crowded and relaxed, you need to be very aware of people and pets approaching from all directions. Patience will be rewarded here.

Drop me a line if you want to hit Valmont, especially, I'd love to show you a round there.

Cheers!

Johnny Roberts would be on the recommend list but it's likely to be closed for the park redesign starting in August.

Do we (forum) need a Summer Tour Roadtrip thread....? A place for all those on tour or traveling to shows can make plans for rounds sort of thing. I know I'll be in Tahoe for Phish and would like to get a few rounds in.

If you playing Badlands/Blair Witch defiantly make sure you have a map of the course, theres always Interlocken, Westminster Rec Center and Springvail South, which are closer to Badlands if your pressed for time.

I know you guys posted this a while ago, but I just got back from playing in the Pine/Conifer area. You MUST play Bucksnort! It's Paul Rothleys new course. It's the nicest course I've ever played in terms of scenery and really cool holes.

Phantom is now 39 holes. The tee time is for 9am but you don't start playing till around 10, unless you've played there before and don't need the intro/waivers. So, I don't think you can play all 3 in one day.

But don't miss out on these courses, they're all awesome. Enjoy!

We are still trying to get all of the details of our trip in order, we'd love to get the Bucksnort round in. It would most likely be monday after the shows and we probably need to book it ASAP....anyone want to do a labor day round with us?

I'm gonna check on availability now!

We are still trying to get all of the details of our trip in order, we'd love to get the Bucksnort round in. It would most likely be monday after the shows and we probably need to book it ASAP....anyone want to do a labor day round with us?

I'm gonna check on availability now!

I might be able to do a Labor Day round.. if you want to travel south a bit I'll do Jellystone for sure. Also be sure you get reservation for Rocky Moutain, I assume it's the one in Empire, they are pretty tight sometimes on getting people in, but it's well worth the effort, probably one of my favorite courses, we did it and Ghost Town the same day, it's a bit of a drive back to Beaver from there.

Plans are starting to come together, excited for the week in CO!

I got a reservation to play Phantom Falls on labor day 9/2 starting at 10am. We've got 4 in our group so far and would be glad to have more people join us. Let me know if you can make it by either posting or pm.

No definite course plans for the rest of the week yet, but I'll definitely be golfing somewhere. 3 of us fly in from MD on 8/28 and plan to get a round in before heading to boulder for the night, ideally at a highly rated challenging course. We'll be back in Denver 8/29 for the free Everyone Orchestra show at sculpture park followed by 3 nights of camping at Dicks for Phish, probably just play metro area rounds a couple of those days.

Caravan, you should plan to meet up with us for a pre show morning round.

Seehad, I'd love to play chu. what day/time works best for you? I'm guessing you can only bring one guest per pass?

My tuesdays fill up with meetings but I work from home so my schedule is fairly open. I do get 1 guest per pass.

Is Johnny Roberts open?

If so, I think that's where we'll be golfing tomorrow mid day. If not, badlands/blair witch it is!

Would love a local guide or two, come join us if you can!

Good times in Denver! Played Badlands, Johnny Roberts, Paco, and Conifer. All offered unique experiences and challenges. Would of like to have played more, but I was having too much fun partying at Dicks....which had 4 or 5 portables scattered around the campground.

Between the golf, beer, music venues, and forward thinking law makers.....I'll be back!

Latest posts