• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common Misconceptions

When someone tells me they "turned it over" but it was just OAT and bad form. If it leaves your hand on an anhyzer line don't tell me it flipped on you. That was all you. Or my friend who thinks his bad upshot form is just grip lock and because it's the putter not him. It leaves his hand wobbling. That's not the disc's fault.

^this

Disc speed equals distance. NO IT DOES NOT. IT REFERS TO A DISC'S ABILITY TO CUT THROUGH THE AIR.
SPEED| Speed is the ability of the disc to cut through the air. Speed Ratings are listed from 1 to 13. Discs with high numbers are faster. Faster discs go farther into the wind with less effort. Slower discs take more power
to throw, but have less of a chance
to fly past the basket.

I disagree with the italics. It should read "Slower discs take more power to throw [as far as a faster disc]" or something similar.
I disagree with that entire definition of speed. To me, the speed of a disc is the potential of a disc to reach a certain speed. The higher the speed of a disc, the more power is required for that disc to reach its potential speed. The reason faster discs go further into a head wind is because the wind creates a faster relative speed based on the increased airflow across the disc, which may cause it to actually reach its potential/intended speed.

It's sort of like the aerodynamics of a Ferrari vs. a Jeep. Given a V12 turbocharged engine, the Ferrari will go much faster than the jeep with the same engine (i.e. Avery Jenkins throwing a Destroyer vs. Aviar). Given a 3 cylinder Geo Metro engine, the two vehicles (weight notwithstanding) will travel at very similar speeds because there is not enough power for the Ferrari to reach its potential or intended speed. Plus, you'd look really silly-- the same way a person throwing a Boss 275' looks when he could be throwing a Leopard that same 275'.

I disagree with that entire definition of speed. To me, the speed of a disc is the potential of a disc to reach a certain speed. The higher the speed of a disc, the more power is required for that disc to reach its potential speed. The reason faster discs go further into a head wind is because the wind creates a faster relative speed based on the increased airflow across the disc, which may cause it to actually reach its potential/intended speed.

It's sort of like the aerodynamics of a Ferrari vs. a Jeep. Given a V12 turbocharged engine, the Ferrari will go much faster than the jeep with the same engine (i.e. Avery Jenkins throwing a Destroyer vs. Aviar). Given a 3 cylinder Geo Metro engine, the two vehicles (weight notwithstanding) will travel at very similar speeds because there is not enough power for the Ferrari to reach its potential or intended speed. Plus, you'd look really silly-- the same way a person throwing a Boss 275' looks when he could be throwing a Leopard that same 275'.

This may be one of the best explanations of "Speed" as a disc golf term that I have seen.

This isn't entirely true. It's not necessarily about aerodynamics and speed potential. The same arm generally can throw putters faster than drivers. The grip has a lot more to do with actual flight speed than the aerodynamics do.

When referring to disc speed, the better way to phrase it is "required speed." A "faster" disc needs more speed (relative to the air, not the ground as you noted) to achieve it's natural flight path.

A common misconception in these parts is that it's OK to flip your disc over to mark your lie.

A common misconception in these parts is that it's OK to flip your disc over to mark your lie.

Is that not "okay" for recreational play? Curious because the person I started playing with (learning from) told me that it "works for now", so I assumed it was okay. Or is he secretly laughing at me on the inside?

Is that not "okay" for recreational play? Curious because the person I started playing with (learning from) told me that it "works for now", so I assumed it was okay. Or is he secretly laughing at me on the inside?

It's fine for casual play. Just don't do it in a tournament.

It's fine for rec play, but I play ALL rounds like the way I play tourneys.

This isn't entirely true. It's not necessarily about aerodynamics and speed potential. The same arm generally can throw putters faster than drivers. The grip has a lot more to do with actual flight speed than the aerodynamics do.

When referring to disc speed, the better way to phrase it is "required speed." A "faster" disc needs more speed (relative to the air, not the ground as you noted) to achieve it's natural flight path.

This is basically how I've wrapped my head around the "speed" rating for a disc. That it's the speed required for the disc to fly the line implied by it's flight ratings. Throw a Katana with 7 speed, it might as well be an Ape.

That's kind of the problem with equating the "speed" rating of a disc to actual speed. "Slower" discs have a higher maximum speed during their flight than "faster" discs. It's just that "faster" discs slow down slower than slower discs and slower discs slow down faster than faster discs. ;)

I find it easiest to think of "speed" as "ability to penetrate into a headwind." "Ability to cut through the air" is another good way to put it. Faster discs lose less distance into a headwind and gain less distance with a tailwind. Slower discs lose more distance into a headwind and gain more distance with a tailwind.

I also think that keeping stability out of the definition makes sense becasue of how many other factors come into play, all of which are difficult to measure. How far a disc goes is easy to measure.

Yeah, I was not talking about initial release speed, but rather sustainable cruising speed.

It seems like I hear this story every year from random golfers I meet at the course:

"Dude, I heard this one time....disc golfers caught someone trying to grill chickens on one of the disc golf baskets!!"

*could be true and could have actually happened, but it seems to be the legendary tale I always here.

It seems like I hear this story every year from random golfers I meet at the course:

"Dude, I heard this one time....disc golfers caught someone trying to grill chickens on one of the disc golf baskets!!"

*could be true and could have actually happened, but it seems to be the legendary tale I always here.

I've hear people say they thought a basket was a grill but I dont think I've ever seen one being used as a grill. Though I'm sure its happened at least once somewhere.

IIRC, there was an actual documented instance of this exact same thing happening at a DG course somewhere in ATL. I don't remember when and where, but maybe one of the ATL guys could substantiate this.

Latest posts