• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common mistakes at first tournament

NWcityguy2

Birdie Member
Hi everyone. After a few months of hard work and trying to improve from a casual off-and-on player I've finally decided to play in a couple tournaments. (Seriously about 4 months ago I watched a video about a thing called the X-step and was like, Wow that is a good idea...) Now my two big goals for these are to have a great time and watch and learn from much better players, but that being said it is in my nature to want to compete and win as well.

Having never played more then casual rounds with friends I'm a bit apprehensive about all the PDGA rules and etiquette's. So my question is, what are the mistakes you see (or have made yourself) newer players making at tournaments?

Taking yourself too seriously.
And having a hissy fit every time you screw up a throw (cough, nikko, cough).

putting... pressures on , no gimmies...
for me my biggest mistake was playin a tourney when i had never played the course... tons of discers showed up, lucky for me i was modest before..., but going blind on the course was the worst

depending on how long of a course, hills and whatnot, temperature... i'd be afraid to be without drinks, towels, backup discs if your serious hehe water holes? rain?

i was a boy scout, so i always go prepared... but i usually forget something, my 2nd tourney i wish i had my mp3 player, cause the dudes i was paired with were some uncool dudes

Make sure you have a mini for marker!!!, leave your foot a few inches back so you WILL NOT disturb the mini.

Water hazard discs are a must, and a backup main driver... see where this is going?

Yell Fore! earlier rather than later.

If you write your phone number on the bottom of your disc and bean someone they KNOW how to find you. (This rule is especially important when playing in Crackhead Park)

Don't move, dig in your bag, talk or yell "I AM A WILD PARTY" when someones shooting, though Ace exuberance is generally tolerated. Watch for groups nearby enough to hear as well, and keep a wary eye on them, I appreciate it, it's easier to concentrate on your drive when someone else is watching the incoming hazards.

Don't say "nice shot" after EVERY drive or ask TOO many questions on the teepad, be friendly but not annoying, other people may be concentrating on their game and could be quite serious and/or in anger management councilling. What I'm trying to say is; don't be yourself. LOL. JK Some people are crazy about being "niced", you should contribute to and preserve a good vibe, don't be the guy that p***es in Deathcard Jim's cornflakes.

Filter all of the advice that you have received through someone whose skills you trust.

Discs marked with paint, stickers etc with an edge that you can feel or scratch with a thumbnail are illegal, so is modifying (tuning, bending, cutting, burning) your disc during play.

In the circle you must maintain balance and control until the disc is in the can, don't start walking towards it early.

Stay positive, Stay hydrated, Take lunch/snacks (less crinkly the better), Warm up, Throw 15' practice putts that you can make, see "Putting Confidence Program"

Ask the members in your group to clarify rules etc as they come up, most people are good about it if they aren't throw your Groove at them. I say if they like being miserable, help them. Like the old man says "If you're catchin 'em you better be throwin 'em too".

Last edited:
using a mini to mark your lie every shot, including 2 foot putts. Or you can use the thrown disc as the marker as long as you stand behind it and don't move it.

That's all I can think of right now, I just played my 1st tourney and that was one thing I wasn't used to. If you want to do well, play in one of the lowest divisions. If you want to get paired up with some good players and learn a few things then try a higher division.

not being able to find the damn place because dudes garmin sent us to BFE.

The first tournament I played in I saw another guy just flip his discs over and use that as a marker, big no no.

Make sure you tell the other guys in your group that it is your first tournament, most people are extremely helpful, but you will find the uber rules guys slightly annoying. Look at it this way, at least you are learning the rules.

Always make sure to throw your disc and watch it come to rest in the basket on every hole. I have seen even experienced players forget this one in tournaments. There is no such thing as just touching the chains.

Water. Bring water.

Be prepared for whatever weather might be there. Extra pairs of socks left in the car are a great idea. Sunscreen applied well in advance, with time to wash your hands before your round is key.

Make sure you are having fun no matter how you are playing. Do not take comments from other too personally. I have had people give advice when they clearly have no idea what they are doing. You will mostly find these people in C-tier events.

Make sure you have a mini for marker!!!, leave your foot a few inches back so you WILL NOT disturb the mini.

Water hazard discs are a must, and a backup main driver... see where this is going?

Yell Fore! earlier rather than later.

If you write your phone number on the bottom of your disc and bean someone they KNOW how to find you. (This rule is especially important when playing in Crackhead Park)

Don't move, dig in your bag, talk or yell "I AM A WILD PARTY" when someones shooting, though Ace exuberance is generally tolerated. Watch for groups nearby enough to hear as well, and keep a wary eye on them, I appreciate it, it's easier to concentrate on your drive when someone else is watching the incoming hazards.

Don't say "nice shot" after EVERY drive or ask TOO many questions on the teepad, be friendly but not annoying, other people may be concentrating on their game and could be quite serious and/or in anger management councilling. What I'm trying to say is; don't be yourself. LOL. JK Some people are crazy about being "niced", you should contribute to and preserve a good vibe, don't be the guy that p***es in Deathcard Jim's cornflakes.

Filter all of the advice that you have received through someone whose skills you trust.

Discs marked with paint, stickers etc with an edge that you can feel or scratch with a thumbnail are illegal,

its not that picky... nothing can pierce the flight plate, milde sanding is allowed, alot of beat to snot discs are legal - basically as long as it don't look intentional it's ok

ask your td if you have discs in question... he holds the only opinion that counts anyways

so is modifying (tuning, bending, cutting, burning) your disc during play.

yes you can, people fondle their discs all the time - within reason
you can cut and burn to repair damage, but not to alter

In the circle you must maintain balance and control until the disc is in the can, don't start walking towards it early.

no again, you have to demonstrate balance, with both feet after you release disc, it does not have to be in the can

Stay positive, Stay hydrated, Take lunch/snacks (less crinkly the better), Warm up, Throw 15' practice putts that you can make, see "Putting Confidence Program"

Ask the members in your group to clarify rules etc as they come up, most people are good about it if they aren't throw your Groove at them. I say if they like being miserable, help them. Like the old man says "If you're catchin 'em you better be throwin 'em too".

????

If you're playing in the novice or recreational division, you're not likely to see a lot of rules stricklers there. Half of them don't know the rules themselves.

Some basic etiquette pointers.

- When someone else is shooting be quiet and stay out of their line of fire and line of sight. Best place to be is well behind them, and if they're RHBH throwers a little off to their right.

- To some degree, this is a good rule to follow regarding people on other holes. If you have an errant shot, or you are in close proximity to people putting on another hole. Be quiet, get out of their line of sight, and stand still until they are finished.

- Cell phones or other noise making devices should be off during the round.

- Once the two minute warning has sounded, you are under the PDGA's thumb, in regards to the following...

A lot of people like to get some putting in on the previous hole's basket before they begin. When that warning sounds, you must stop as any throw of a disc after this can be considered a practice throw and subject to a penalty. If you get a disc stuck up in a tree, DO NOT throw another disc up there to get it out. Some players carry baseballs, water bottles or FatMax tape measures for situations like these.

Some folks like to have an adult beverage, or imbibe in other intoxicants, at tournaments. If you are doing these things beyond this point you are subject to being DQ'ed.

You are no longer under the PDGA's thumb when you turn in your scorecard.

And with regards to scorecards, its generally an accepted practice to split scorekeeping duties during the round. For a foursome playing 18 holes it's usually 5-4-5-4. When a hole is completed, advance to the next hole's teebox to take scores so the group behind you can play that hole. Do not do it on the fly to the next hole, as things can get a bit disorganized.

Make sure you add up your score before turning it in, and make sure your arithmetic is correct. Have your card mates check your card, and you check theirs. Improperly added cards carry a 2 stroke penalty. I know a case of a 1000 rated player who lost a tournament by not doing this.

Minis. Carry more than one as you can lose them easily.

Familiarize yourself with the rulebook, and keep one in your bag. There's a few shady idiots our there who pull stunts, citing rules that are not rules.

There is more, but its 1:15 in the morning and I'm pooped.

Make sure you tell the other guys in your group that it is your first tournament, most people are extremely helpful...

This + common sense = a great tournament experience.

I let the people I was playing with know I was a tournament noob in my first 3 tourneys. I asked questions if I came to a situation that I was unclear on, and for the most part just had fun.

I played either Rec or Int, so the people were cool and not anal about things like marking a 6-inch putt anyway.

oh...and dont forget water. 2 tournament rounds in one day takes a LONG time.

For your own self, these are just a couple things I'd tell myself at my first tourney:

1. Stay smooth. If you find yourself kinda amped, especially at the start, it'll mess with your timing on putts and footwork. Breath, slow down, take set-up swings on the tee and follow your routine on putts.

2. Play your game. Someone on your card's going to throw a route or a shot that you've never thrown before, and you'll be dazzled by it and wanna try it instead of the route/shot you were preparing yourself to throw. Don't do it! Write it down, remember to try it later, and throw the shot you have the most confidence in.

3. Unless the course has awesome facilities, you're not gonna wanna stop the round in the middle to spend quality time in an outhouse. That's a deuce you wanna drop before you leave for the course.

Bring one of those little stools to sit on. The paly at a tournament was way too slow. It took four hours to play the first round, a quick break and then another 4 hours for the last round. Lots of players had these little stools for a reason. Oh yeah, don't forget a hefty dose of patience as well. Because of that slow play, it may be a while before I play in another tournament. I want to get out there and throw and not have to wait 20 minutes on a tee each time before I do!

At the end of the day though, you have to have fun with the experience. You are out there because you love the game. I tried to beat at least one person in my division the first one I played, which was a couple of weeks ago. As long I wasn't dead least, then I felt like I accomplished something.

No kidding, you guys are making me scared and I am playing my 4th sanctioned tourney this weekend.

Just relax, it is a lot more laid back than some make it out to be...have fun and be friendly. Always try to squash any negative vibes from you or guys on your card too...it helps out a lot. Always compliment a good shot...even if that stroke just put that person ahead of you!!

Latest posts