• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common mistakes at first tournament

Ericj will be with me on this one, make sure you're playing the tournament layout correctly. And when you make mistakes as a group having a rulebook handy doesn't hurt, again ask ericj. I have shot 9 and 10 strokes worse the second round from the first my last two tourneys.. Play each hole for itself, and when you have that double OB triple bogey on the hole you aced two days before (yes I pulled it off) don't let it throw he rest of our round off. ( which I also pulled off)

Ericj will be with me on this one, make sure you're playing the tournament layout correctly even when the guy who made the course maps is on your card. And when you make mistakes as a group having a rulebook handy doesn't hurt, again ask ericj. Course officials and TDs are not infallible. I have shot 9 and 10 strokes worse the second round from the first my last two tourneys.. Play each hole for itself, and when you have that double OB triple bogey on the hole you aced two days before (yes I pulled it off) don't let it throw he rest of our round off. ( which I also pulled off)
There... I fixed your quote for ya. ;)

Signing is optional. No repercussions for not signing.

Take notes if the stuff isn't written down somewhere. Since I always keep my own scorecard, on the back I write down the special conditions announced at the players meeting. E.g. casual water vs. OB water, which holes are CTPs, 2-meter rule in effect or not, etc..

Three minutes is the PDGA rule.

Please, don't sign your card then dude. Only trying to help. Good luck. i'll take my advice somewhere else where it is actually appreciated.

Good Day DG Course Review

Someone once told me, and I've found it to be true so far:

At the lower levels (MA3/Rec and MA4/Novice for sure and to some extent MA2/Int) winning a tournament is not about who plays the best golf, but who makes the least number of mistakes. Look at scores in MA3 and MA4 division scores and you'll see those guys don't really shoot "down", i.e. under par, very often. If you played par golf in those divisions you'd almost certainly "cash", and probably come close to winning. Play for your "3" (or par) on every hole. Make safe drives to put you in a position for an easy upshot, good upshots leave you short putts. It's not a glamorous strategy, but a "3" on every hole is better than most players in those divisions will do. Where you get in trouble is trying for those "2"'s. The lower level players will make more mistakes trying for the "2" that end up costing themselves a "4" or "5". Slow and steady wins the race there. Having said all that, did you really sign up for a tournament to play safe on every hole? Where's the fun in that? So you have to decide how you're gonna play it. But I bet if you look back when it's done the top spots are sitting about par scores.

Once you get into MA2 and up you gotta take the chances. At those levels the skill of the players enables the rewards to more often outweigh the risks. You see MA1 player racking up birdies and only occasionally making the mistake to cost them a bogey. But they have the birds to offset them.

I like this. I'll have to try to remember it.

Please, don't sign your card then dude. Only trying to help. Good luck. i'll take my advice somewhere else where it is actually appreciated.

Good Day DG Course Review
Relax dude. All of the stuff you posted was good advice, I was just commenting on a couple of the points that weren't completely correct.

Take some food with you in your bag. I ate at 730 am on the morning of the tourney and our first round wasn't done until after 200pm! Man was I hungry!

Have Fun!
I went to my first tournament and let someone get into my head and had no fun at all.
Basically the guy ended up cheating on his scorecard. I didn't know what to do, so I just thought about it the whole second round. He was last in our group of four, and starting the second round, he had the best score. he was altering and changing the scores.
So make sure everyone agrees and knows what you shot at the end of the round.

Don´t do this your at your first tournament

Hole 1//2//3//4//5//6//7//8//9//10//11//12//13//14//15//16//17//18 Tot
Round ONE 8//4//9//3//5//4//6//15//4//4//3//4//4//3//3//3//6//8 96
Round TWO 9//7//5//3//4//4//5//9//2//3//5//4//4//5//3//3//5//5 85

Also I did some practice putts 10 min after the start signal so I got a warning for that.I also made my personal worst score on hole 8.I got seven OB´s on the same hole and 15 throws in total on one single hole......ONE SINGLE HOLE.

Don´t do this your at your first tournament

Hole 1//2//3//4//5//6//7//8//9//10//11//12//13//14//15//16//17//18 Tot
Round ONE 8//4//9//3//5//4//6//15//4//4//3//4//4//3//3//3//6//8 96
Round TWO 9//7//5//3//4//4//5//9//2//3//5//4//4//5//3//3//5//5 85

Also I did some practice putts 10 min after the start signal so I got a warning for that.I also made my personal worst score on hole 8.I got seven OB´s on the same hole and 15 throws in total on one single hole......ONE SINGLE HOLE.

Please tell us that you at least had fun at that first tournament and have played others since. I think the best thing to make sure you are doing at a tournament is to have fun. Talk with people. Take the ear plugs out once in a while.

Yeah thanks guys. I played a local non-PDGA tournament over the weekend and it was a lot of fun. It was 2 rounds of 27 with you only being able to use a Wizard for the holes, most of which were <200 feet. I played in the Intermediate division and finished near the bottom of the pack, but about 1/3rd the people ditched out after 1 round cause it was raining/snowing and the wind was a problem at times.

Nobody I was playing with really cared about the rules and one guy probably made a foot foul every 3rd shot. The two other guys with me didn't seem to mind because he couldn't make a putt outside of 5 feet and was way behind us in strokes after 2-3 holes. Then for the second round they rearranged the cards by score so I was with 2 other guys who were playing their first tournament as well. So in 0the end I had fun, dropped 9 strokes the second time through and learned that I hate the Medium Wizard (1 cut-through, 1 bounce off the pole and 1 bounce out of the basket).

Please tell us that you at least had fun at that first tournament and have played others since. I think the best thing to make sure you are doing at a tournament is to have fun. Talk with people. Take the ear plugs out once in a while.

I have always fun when I have the opportunity to throw some discs and I will always keep on playing in other tourneys but the sad part is that there is not so many here in Sweden so it would be even more fun to travel to the US and play some tournaments there.

Latest posts