• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common mistakes at first tournament

A lot of players learn the very efficient trick of adding their score by counting up each hole as the amount over/under three for each hole and then taking that offset vs. 54.
  • E.g. if your card reads: (3 3 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 2 3 3 3 4 3 3 5 3) you'd go across in your head, ignoring each three, and adding as such: -1 (first "2"), -2 (second "2"), -1 (first "4"), +1 (first "5"), 54+1 = 55.

• The gotcha is that players do this so often that when they play a layout that isn't 18 holes they forget that the base is no longer 54. If you play 21 holes you take the offset vs. 63. It's a not uncommon mistake when playing non-18-hole layouts.

Good stuff, it's a handy trick to know and definitely a time saver and away that's less likely to come up with the wrong number (less arithmetic involved). One caution though, is that I've seen people use that and then write down something like -2 for the score. Make sure you write down the actual number of strokes it took you to complete the round.

Thanks to all for the head's up. cough, cough...

I assumed as much. Not a big deal really. I'm just as big a lost planet airman when I'm stoned cold sober. And I've been playing a lot lately clear headed just to preppare. My scores are about the same.

last weekend i played in my first tournament and i learned always stay still, and even though you are playing in ur own division by yourself u can still get yelled at, also have your foot exactly within 11 inches of your marker or your toast

hopefully no one yelled at you very harshly Austin. did you have a good time?

A lot of players learn the very efficient trick of adding their score by counting up each hole as the amount over/under three for each hole and then taking that offset vs. 54.
  • E.g. if your card reads: (3 3 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 2 3 3 3 4 3 3 5 3) you'd go across in your head, ignoring each three, and adding as such: -1 (first "2"), -2 (second "2"), -1 (first "4"), +1 (first "5"), 54+1 = 55.

• The gotcha is that players do this so often that when they play a layout that isn't 18 holes they forget that the base is no longer 54. If you play 21 holes you take the offset vs. 63. It's a not uncommon mistake when playing non-18-hole layouts.

I like counting all the birdies first and then counting up the bogies. For me it's easier and more fun than figuring the running total.

Thanks for the gotcha because I'd be likely to forget.

It's usually overkill, but you can keep your own personal scorecard too. That way if the other person keeping score screws up the scorekeeping via marking the wrong holes, or wrong players, or whatever, you can make sure that at least yours is fixed correctly.

I like keeping my own scorecard because I track putts too.

I like counting all the birdies first and then counting up the bogies. For me it's easier and more fun than figuring the running total. Thanks for the gotcha because I'd be likely to forget.

Yeah, I usually do the same... but count all the bogies (up) first, then the birdies (down) second. Then I double check myself by doing the same thing but scanning the scorecard backwards, i.e. going from hole #18 down to #1.

Getting the two stroke penalty for totaling your score wrong sucks.

I like keeping my own scorecard because I track putts too.

Me too... well, putts, and putting distance and discs thrown. A little OCD maybe?

Hi everyone. After a few months of hard work and trying to improve from a casual off-and-on player I've finally decided to play in a couple tournaments. (Seriously about 4 months ago I watched a video about a thing called the X-step and was like, Wow that is a good idea...) Now my two big goals for these are to have a great time and watch and learn from much better players, but that being said it is in my nature to want to compete and win as well.

Having never played more then casual rounds with friends I'm a bit apprehensive about all the PDGA rules and etiquette's. So my question is, what are the mistakes you see (or have made yourself) newer players making at tournaments?

My putting went out the window when I played my first tourney. 3 putted 2-3 holes from less than 30 ft out.:wall:

A big one is to not give up on yourself. You have no idea how the rest of the cards are doing. I've gone from the 3rd card to 1st place because they all fell apart and I played steady par golf.

It really sucks to lose payout by 1 stroke because you didn't concentrate on some of those putts figuring it was already over.

Last edited:
not bringing enough discs...I only say this because I watched a kid lose all but one of his discs on a two hole stretch and his Dad had to buy hime some more in between rounds. Someone also gave him a disc I believe

Common Mistakes at First Tournament

Here are some,

Not telling the TD that this is your first tournament. Might cut you a little bit of slack and not put you on the top of the card.

Forget to bring a mini. Get 2, you might lose one during the round.

Forget to pick up the scorecard if you are listed first on the card. How many times have you been waiting on the tee pad to find out that you were suppose to pick up the card?

Forget to check your scores and sign your scorecard.

Don't pay attention during the players meeting for any special instructions about playing the course, which tee pads, which alternate baskets, special OB rules. Tee signs may not reflect all of those depending on the Tier.

Forget to read the rules and carry a copy with them. And carry an updated version. I was carrying a rule book from 1990 until just last year. Doh.

Forget to watch your disc when it goes offline into the shule making it harder to find. Other players can give you help for 2 minutes but then it is a lost disc.

Playing the wrong disc. That one hurts with the penalty, so make sure the disc you are playing is in fact your disc. Sometimes marking the top of a disc with your PDGA number or something identifiable can help but must adhere to the rules. Helps a bunch when everyone has an orange star Katana with the same stamp.

Forgetting to bring some water and food and maybe a chair and a towel. Change of clothes?

Stressing out about your first tournament. Expect to gain some good experience by playing under the PDGA rules in a competitive manner, and if you end up placing or winning your division then that's icing on the cake.

Not bringing the right equipment. I.E. if there is a slight chance of rain bring rain gear and towels. Hot/cold, so on and so on

I don't know about mistakes, but I'll tell you this. I'll never forget my first PDGA event. I had practiced all week at the course where the tournament was going to be. It was my HOME course. I was shooting -6 or in that neighborhood. Came the day of the tournament I think I shot +36 or something pretty close. Trees I didn't even know existed showed up that day. I was so nervous. That was 7 years ago. So I tell you this - be patient:stay calm:have fun - you will get better and the more tournaments you play in the better!

I don't know about mistakes, but I'll tell you this. I'll never forget my first PDGA event. I had practiced all week at the course where the tournament was going to be. It was my HOME course. I was shooting -6 or in that neighborhood. Came the day of the tournament I think I shot +36 or something pretty close. Trees I didn't even know existed showed up that day. I was so nervous. That was 7 years ago. So I tell you this - be patient:stay calm:have fun - you will get better and the more tournaments you play in the better!

Well said. There are many ofu that have done that before

MotoDJ.. I had trouble quoting the quote but...

Discs marked with paint, stickers etc with an edge that you can feel or scratch with a thumbnail are illegal
(I'm pretty sure that rule was posted on a disc tuning thread, seems crystal clear to me, I remove glow stickers now before tourneys, gotten called on it before.)

its not that picky... nothing can pierce the flight plate, milde sanding is allowed, alot of beat to snot discs are legal - basically as long as it don't look intentional it's ok

Exactly-- If you are bending or burning your disc intentionally at a tournament and get called on it don't be surprised, do it before/after/ out of sight.

As far as maintaining footing thanks for posting the rule ERicJ! The mistake I made was walking towards the basket after throwing my putt... and come on 30ft = 5 sec, &.... Moving < 5 sec = 5 min bitching. It's easy enough for me to wait and it keeps grumpy people quiet.

Last edited:
A big one is to not give up on yourself. You have no idea how the rest of the cards are doing. I've gone from the 3rd card to 1st place because they all fell apart and I played steady par golf.

It really sucks to lose payout by 1 stroke because you didn't concentrate on some of those putts figuring it was already over.

This one is worth quoting/repeating.

Every throw counts. Remember that when your playing. Remember that when you're lining up for those "gimme" 10-15' putts.

You can play two or three rounds of tournament golf, making over a hundred throws, and then walk up to the posted final scores and see that there are just two or three strokes separating first place from your sixth place. It's a funny feeling you get as that sinks in. All those throws and you think about how many you could have shaved with a better upshot here or not missing a short putt there, or not trying to make that miracle throw to the basket from deep in the ruff instead of the safe/smart pitch out back to the fairway. If you just had two of those back you might be sitting in a tie for first place....

Forget to check your scores and sign your scorecard.
Signing is optional. No repercussions for not signing.

Don't pay attention during the players meeting for any special instructions about playing the course, which tee pads, which alternate baskets, special OB rules. Tee signs may not reflect all of those depending on the Tier.
Take notes if the stuff isn't written down somewhere. Since I always keep my own scorecard, on the back I write down the special conditions announced at the players meeting. E.g. casual water vs. OB water, which holes are CTPs, 2-meter rule in effect or not, etc..

Forget to watch your disc when it goes offline into the shule making it harder to find. Other players can give you help for 2 minutes but then it is a lost disc.

Three minutes is the PDGA rule.

This one is worth quoting/repeating.

Every throw counts. Remember that when your playing. Remember that when you're lining up for those "gimme" 10-15' putts.

You can play two or three rounds of tournament golf, making over a hundred throws, and then walk up to the posted final scores and see that there are just two or three strokes separating first place from your sixth place. It's a funny feeling you get as that sinks in. All those throws and you think about how many you could have shaved with a better upshot here or not missing a short putt there, or not trying to make that miracle throw to the basket from deep in the ruff instead of the safe/smart pitch out back to the fairway. If you just had two of those back you might be sitting in a tie for first place....
I didn't really mention the converse of what I said but Eric's absolutely right. Losing by 1 stroke is a million times worse than getting your ass handed to you by 10 strokes.

Something that somewhat helps me is not expecting or asking for the perfect conditions during casual rounds. I will often take shots with people behind the basket, background noise, people in my peripheral, etc. If any of this happens during a tourney round it won't put my game off as much.

Someone once told me, and I've found it to be true so far:

At the lower levels (MA3/Rec and MA4/Novice for sure and to some extent MA2/Int) winning a tournament is not about who plays the best golf, but who makes the least number of mistakes. Look at scores in MA3 and MA4 division scores and you'll see those guys don't really shoot "down", i.e. under par, very often. If you played par golf in those divisions you'd almost certainly "cash", and probably come close to winning. Play for your "3" (or par) on every hole. Make safe drives to put you in a position for an easy upshot, good upshots leave you short putts. It's not a glamorous strategy, but a "3" on every hole is better than most players in those divisions will do. Where you get in trouble is trying for those "2"'s. The lower level players will make more mistakes trying for the "2" that end up costing themselves a "4" or "5". Slow and steady wins the race there. Having said all that, did you really sign up for a tournament to play safe on every hole? Where's the fun in that? So you have to decide how you're gonna play it. But I bet if you look back when it's done the top spots are sitting about par scores.

Once you get into MA2 and up you gotta take the chances. At those levels the skill of the players enables the rewards to more often outweigh the risks. You see MA1 player racking up birdies and only occasionally making the mistake to cost them a bogey. But they have the birds to offset them.

Latest posts