• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common mistakes at first tournament

So, take as many practice throws after the two minute warning as you want until you are officially warned (and the warning is seconded). Then, if you want to keep practicing, go for it as much as you please if you are prepared to take a single throw penalty (i.e., a total of one throw penalty for all of the throws you take between your seconded warning & the "Start" call, not one for each throw).

the guy who wrote the rulebook is who pointed this out to me. comes in handy when you're the td and have no chance to warm up.

From PDGA's Competition Manual for Disc Golf Events, Section 3.4:
A. All competitors and staff are required to wear a shirt.

B. All competitors and staff are required to wear shoes or other foot coverings. Players will not be allowed to play in bare feet. Sandals or slides are allowed.

C. The following dress code for all competitors will be enforced at all PDGA National Tour and Major Events. The PDGA also recommends that this dress code be enforced at Super Tour and lower tier events, but this decision lies solely with the Tournament Director:

(1) All players in PDGA sanctioned competition and tournament staff are expected to dress appropriately and to maintain a clean and well-groomed appearance at all event sites and associated functions.

(2) All players must wear a shirt covering their upper chest area. A well-tailored shirt with a fold-down, mock turtle, v-neck, crew neck, Henley, or zippered collar, and with sleeves covering the part of the arm from the shoulder to the elbow (commonly known as the upper arm), shall be considered acceptable.

Women are also allowed to wear sleeveless shirts as designated above.

(3) No tee shirts will be allowed, except for competitors in the Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds only. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed.

(4) Shirts that hang down lower than the bottom hemline on the player's shorts shall be tucked in.

(5) No ripped shirts, shorts, pants will be allowed on the course. This includes unhemmed, torn or cut "vents" at the shirt collar.

(6) No offensive, profane, or obscene slogans or logos shall be allowed on any clothing. Junior players may not wear slogans or logos referring to alcohol or tobacco.

(7) This dress code will be in effect from start to finish at each event, including all tournament rounds.

(8) Players who do not make a cut, but wish to remain on site through the duration of the tournament, will be considered spectators and will not be required to conform to the Tour's dress code.

Thank you guys this thread has been a wealth of information for me and hopefully others.

I do have one question regarding the use of mini's. I've never used a mini before and don't even own one, but will be getting one as part of my player pack at my first tournament. Now, before I've just played behind my disc thrown within 30cm, or if I wanted to throw a disc twice replaced it with another disc in the exact same spot (I realize I can't do that in a real round).

So with a mini I'll take it and place it directly in from of my disc pointing towards the basket or mando, but where does that leave the 30cm rule? Do I now play 30cm behind the mini?

PDGA class "C" tourney- any dress code requirements?

I didn't look it up, but I'm pretty sure it just says no cut off shirts or sandals. From there the rule is vague, just don't wear anything offensive.
All that is basically required of any competitor or staff member is a shirt and shoes. Sandals are good.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/3-4-dress-code

The more specific dress requirements are only required at National Tour and Major events. They are encouraged at Supertour and smaller events, but that is left to TD discretion, and I can't recall a case of any TD being strict about it. I've seen plenty of folks with un-collared shirts, sandals, and whatnot. Even at A-tiers.

From PDGA's Official Rules of Disc Golf, Section 803.04(A):
When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.
If you choose to play behind your originally-thrown disc, it becomes the "marker disc" as far as stance rules are concerned.

My best piece of advice is to get there early and throw and practice your putting.
Most courses are open for play before the tourney starts. Get there in time to play a few holes, if it's allowed. And then practice your putting until you have to quit.

Most common mistakes I see are simple to avoid and make for good basic etiquette on your part.

1) Don't talk when it's someone elses turn to throw (save it for while you're walking)

2) Don't advance in front of the away player. Don't think its ok to come right up to someones peripheral and stop - stay behind until it's your turn to throw.

3) Know when it's your turn to throw (not that hard to keep track of who is furthest away - if it is ask who's out?) and then be conscious of taking your turn in the allotted time (once it's your turn you get time to approach and mark your lie - then 30 seconds to take your shot). Most people don't have to worry about this - but sometimes newer tournament players are more timid about stepping up and taking their turn.

Thank you guys this thread has been a wealth of information for me and hopefully others.

I do have one question regarding the use of mini's. I've never used a mini before and don't even own one, but will be getting one as part of my player pack at my first tournament. Now, before I've just played behind my disc thrown within 30cm, or if I wanted to throw a disc twice replaced it with another disc in the exact same spot (I realize I can't do that in a real round).

So with a mini I'll take it and place it directly in from of my disc pointing towards the basket or mando, but where does that leave the 30cm rule? Do I now play 30cm behind the mini?

Yes, the 30cm is from behind the mini disc when used. Note that you get the choice of using the original disc and a mini. Make sure you remember that. Sometimes it is to your advantage to not use a mini for a better angle or footing...

Shake off the shots that don't go your way. Each toss is a new throw.

I've also found that the more fun I'm having the better I do.

If you fall behind or make some bad shots don't try to make it all up in one hole. You've got the rest of the tourney to improve your score, so don't panic.

Well, here's another piece of advice.
Be conservative.
"Get out of trouble, then make up ground."
You may have made a 300' thumber out of the schule back during a practice round, but don't count on it during a tourney unless you are reasonably confident, and you've practiced it.
Don't take too many risks and you won't disappoint yourself.
It's easier to think about the shot you might've been able to pull off, than to try to fix the one you didn't pull off.

Be ready when its your turn to throw. If your BotB don't watch everybody else throw then take a bunch of time to decide what disc your going to throw. If the winds are varied be ready with a couple discs. Step up to the tee...gauge the wind...make up your mind....SET down the second option...throw.

Also folks have touched on the 2 minute horn and some other pre-round routines associated with a shotgun start were a bit confusing my first time out and everybody on my card were tourney newbs so we were all a bit lost.

First name listed grabs the card and everybody meets up at the tee. Warm-ups are customary at the previous basket. That first horn is a two-minute warning not a starting gun :eek: After the second horn play begins with players teeing off in the order they are listed on the card.

I'm diggin this thread. Its my goal to play in my first tourney this year. So I'm lookin to do well and have a great time while doing it. Lots of pearls in here. Some stuff I already knew or assumed, but a reminder is always good.

Keep it coming.

I'm diggin this thread. Its my goal to play in my first tourney this year.

DO IT! I was so happy that I played in a tourney and I've got 3-4 lined up for the next 6-8 weeks. Great learning experience and, more importantly, fun (which can't be beat).

Not winning. As Ricky Bobby says:

ricky-bobby-if-you-aint-first.jpg

Last edited:
Don't do what I did. On my first drive, at my first tournament, I shanked it about 40 degrees to the right and hit a tree. That pretty much set the tone for the entire first round.

Fortunately, I did better in the second round and didn't come in dead last. It's the little victories that keep me going

Latest posts