• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complete bag retool

Spackler

Bogey Member
Need some input on my bag for the coming season. I 've been playing for almost 2 years and have made some pretty good improvement but I would like to get more consistent and improve my form.

I'm guilty of switching discs in and out of my bag too often, which I think has hurt my consistency and also guilty of throwing discs that are too fast for me. So my thinking is to streamline the bag with fewer molds and disc down a bit at the same time. I throw RHBH max D about 320' with occasional shots out to 340' with a Surge SS. I can live with a little less distance for a while if it will help in the long run. What molds/weights would you suggest for starting over with?

If you are a discraft guy you probably throw the buzzz already, but the Meteor is an easy to learn complement to the Buzz. I like the Avenger SS for an understable disc, but personally I no longer use it. Stalker is a popular discraft driver that is easy to learn, but you are not giving us much info on what you like and throw.

if you're starting over, go with base molds... Leopard, Shark, Aviar. or, buzzz in place of shark...

Well so far I have every disc mentioned, including a GL River and a GL Striker. I'm not loyal to any brand but most of what I already own is probably split pretty evenly between Innova and Discraft. I own a few overstable discs but mostly throw stable/understable discs. Drivers I'm carrying right now are an XL, Avenger SS, Surge SS, Leopard and a Beast.

Thanks for helping.

If you're wanting to disc down to help your form, stay away from fast stuff. Stick with the Leopard as your main driver (and a TeeBird if you want something a bit more overstable).

OK-
Driver-Leopard
Mid- Buzz/Meteor
Putter-Aviar

Any other drivers to mix in with the Leopard or should I just have a couple of different Leopards?
A River or Stalker maybe?

Decide how you like to play before what you throw. For example:

BH only? FH only? Both?

Do you have or do you want to develop OH game now?

Do you prefer hyzer flipping or throwing stable-straight on straightaway fairways?

Spin putt or push putt?

You're 100ft out with a clear look - what is your tendency: run it? lay-up? throw a 50/50 shot?

Wide rim drivers, smaller rims, or no preference?

Beaded, no beads, or no preference?

Do you finesse upshots or disc down and throw hard?

These kinds of questions will help guide you to good discs for an overhaul. A bag is much more than just covering a stability range. An example from my personal experience (I'm almost done with my total bag overhaul, just deciding on 1 or 2 more slots) - Comet vs. Fuse. I didn't throw the Comet nearly as well because it's more of a finesse disc. Since spending lots of time working on my snap and building distance and power - learning new techniques, etc. the finesse aspect my game has lagged. I throw better "choking-down" on my reachback and snapping normally.

If you consider those kinds of things you'll find a group of discs that suits your game best for your bag.

i throw three leopards depending on wind/position. one star, one pro, one 150 champ. i love them all like children

Fairways, keep the leo, add in an eagle x or teebird.
Mids, I prefer the aftershock but the buzzz is good. Add in something for annies, comet, meteor, GL fuse if you wanna look sexy.
Overstable fairway, preds are good, I toss a champ banshee though. Putters, one for line shaping, inside the 100' putting circle, I use a magic. One for driving, windy days, I use a ridge, wizards are nice, maybe a ryhno, I didn't like how mine felt though. Keep your surge ss, it's not overly fast and if it's your longest disc it will probably help you more than hurt you for max d on wide open long shots.

Decide how you like to play before what you throw. For example:

BH only? FH only? Both?

Do you have or do you want to develop OH game now?

Do you prefer hyzer flipping or throwing stable-straight on straightaway fairways?

Spin putt or push putt?

You're 100ft out with a clear look - what is your tendency: run it? lay-up? throw a 50/50 shot?

Wide rim drivers, smaller rims, or no preference?

Beaded, no beads, or no preference?

Do you finesse upshots or disc down and throw hard?

These kinds of questions will help guide you to good discs for an overhaul. A bag is much more than just covering a stability range. An example from my personal experience (I'm almost done with my total bag overhaul, just deciding on 1 or 2 more slots) - Comet vs. Fuse. I didn't throw the Comet nearly as well because it's more of a finesse disc. Since spending lots of time working on my snap and building distance and power - learning new techniques, etc. the finesse aspect my game has lagged. I throw better "choking-down" on my reachback and snapping normally.

If you consider those kinds of things you'll find a group of discs that suits your game best for your bag.

Yeah, this. Help us, help you.

But going off of what you have given us, I'd say look very strongly at just stable (neutral) molds like Comets, Fuses, Qms etc for mids, Leopards, Polaris LS, Cheetahs, Gazelles, Cyclones etc for drivers and any conventional putter available in a wide array of plastic (Aviars, Challengers, Gateway, etc).

Me, if I was discing down to the max today (I probably should, I've got some OAT to work on), I'd go something like this:

ESP Cyclone
Champ Leopard
Opto and GL Fuse
S Magics

Yeah, this. Help us, help you.

But going off of what you have given us, I'd say look very strongly at just stable (neutral) molds like Comets, Fuses, Qms etc for mids, Leopards, Polaris LS, Cheetahs, Gazelles, Cyclones etc for drivers and any conventional putter available in a wide array of plastic (Aviars, Challengers, Gateway, etc).

Me, if I was discing down to the max today (I probably should, I've got some OAT to work on), I'd go something like this:

ESP Cyclone
Champ Leopard
Opto and GL Fuse
S Magics

Granted he wants to disc down, but there's a complete lack of overstableness with that set up. Even when working on form it's nice to stay competitive and keep a little variety...

Okay I see that I could have provided more info that would help you guys help me. I throw RHBH except for a few tomahawks and forehands to get out of trouble. Most of my approach shots are pretty conservative but I'm comfortable making a run at a basket under 100'. Approaches are probably the best part of my game.

Not much success with any wide rim driver. Best drives are almost always low and fast but I finesse a lot of upshots with a nose up attitude that usually die near the basket.

Writing this makes me realize that what I'm looking for most is to be more consistent with speed 6 and higher discs. More distance would be nice but not a primary goal. Distance should improve with better mechanics.

I need a bag that helps me work on form issues without taking all the fun out of it.

Starting over. I am a relatively noodled-armed amateur, but here it goes. Totally biased and without any information from you:

Wizard
Fuse/ Comet
Roc/Buzzz/Core - pick one
Gator/ Drone/ Hornet/ Pain
Leopard/Gazelle/ River/Stalker
Eagle/Teebird/Striker
Firebird/XXX/Predator

Okay I see that I could have provided more info that would help you guys help me. I throw RHBH except for a few tomahawks and forehands to get out of trouble. Most of my approach shots are pretty conservative but I'm comfortable making a run at a basket under 100'. Approaches are probably the best part of my game.

Not much success with any wide rim driver. Best drives are almost always low and fast but I finesse a lot of upshots with a nose up attitude that usually die near the basket.

Writing this makes me realize that what I'm looking for most is to be more consistent with speed 6 and higher discs. More distance would be nice but not a primary goal. Distance should improve with better mechanics.

I need a bag that helps me work on form issues without taking all the fun out of it.

With this in mind I'd suggest starting with these molds:

Stalker/TL - straight, controlled distance - maybe turnover?
Teebird/Eagle-X - light-to-medium wind and predictable fade

These will give you a baseline to tweak from and find fairways that really work for you. I'd suggest starting with fairways when building drivers into a bag, you pick what gives you accurate distance, then find the molds that plug the gaps for the longer bombs***this is just IMO though, not saying it's the only or best way.

After figuring out your fairways, add those faster discs that need more room to work.

Mids:

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's straight, it's neutral stability, you can figure out if you want to build your bag around it, or ditch it for a couple of molds a few degrees different. You can throw it nose up for straight-with-fade, level for dead straight accuracy, and it will hold any line if you anny or hyzer it. Even if it doesn't make the bag, it will definitely give you a more clear picture of the type of discs you work well with.

*build the rest of the mids based on what utility you find with the buzzz. typical complements are [understable] Fuse/Comet/Coyote and [overstable] Hornet/Wasp/KCProRoc. Don't be afraid to combo different mids for a week or so, find the best grouping to throw with so you can get out of bad situations AND capitalize on good ones*

Putters:

Totally dependent on your style and grip. Though I will say add a Rhyno or Wizard for overstable approach duties, or for approach shots thrown with more snap that need to sit down.

Again, this is just how I'd start building, no proof of success or science behind it, so take it with a grain of salt. Though I'd start with the putters (contrary to post order) and work progressively further from the basket.

Hope this helps

Great input guys. Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

I think I already own most of the discs that have been mentioned so it's just a matter of deciding which ones to start with and then how long they stay in the bag if I don't love them. I think forcing myself to keep each disc in the bag long enough to really learn it will be a key.

I think I'm going to start with just a single, neutral mold for each distance range to force me to use them for all kinds of shots. Hopefully this will give me a pretty good baseline to work from.

Aviars- Buzzzzs- Stalkers

I'm really interested to see how well I score with this limited, disced down bag on my home course.

Latest posts