• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complete loss of confidence/the yips?

nb2210

Par Member
I can't explain it... I have completely lost all touch for my game. I have really advanced a lot this season. I'm a fh dominant player. I've switched from just forcing super beefy discs into anny flex shots(although sometimes it's super useful) I'm hyzer flipping Tresspasses and Ti Nukes out over 400 regularly. My putting was on point where I was super confident within 30 feet.

Two weeks ago, I lost it all everything driving I'm turning everything over or launching it straight in to air. I'm lost with a wizard in my hand.

Anybody ever run into this? Anything help?

Try going to a different course, take a few days off, try a different disc just for the heck of it.

It happens. Take a week off. Go back out. It'll come back.

Word. Take a little time off. At least a week. Then try and mix it up somehow, throw a 2 or 3 disc round, something like that. Try and focus on having fun instead of playing your best. Itll come back.

I thought it might be the course, but I've played 3 different courses this weekend... Some time off I guess.. 😡🔫

Do something completely different. Put your drivers away for a while and play some one-disc rounds with a neutral mid-range. Play a few rounds with your off-hand. Put together a bag with discs that you never throw and give them a try. In short, play rounds where you worry less about your score and just try different things. Or as others have suggested, just put them all away for a week or two and relax!

Everyone experiences downturns in their game when things seem to go from bad to worse, confidence plummets, some sort of weird "palsy" sets in and the harder one tries to right the cart the worse it gets. If not, they haven't played long enough. It's just part of the game. When it gets as bad as "The Yips," I don't know that anyone has figured out a guaranteed recipe to turn it off. I think you just have to play through it. Do what you can to leave your "thinking mind" out of your game. Work your routine, see the target, see the line, throw the disc. Practice playing with focussed detachment. Slumps often precede breakthroughs.

Thanks for the feedback... I'm thinking a few rounds of speed 7 and under discs, backhand... I've been waiting for a reason to starch developing it

Agreeing with everyone else. Shake it up.

I'll go to a new-to-me course, or play some form of safari golf, so I don't step onto a tee knowing what disc I should throw, and how it should fly.

Also, just like everyone else, I'll play 1- or 2-disc rounds on my regular course. Without any rhyme or reason---I might play an entire round with a high-speed driver, or something extremely understable, or a disc I hate, just to see what I can do with them. Or, just a putter, making my local short course quite a bit longer for me.

Oh man, this happened to me. After a surgery, for about 2-3 years this would happen off and on…in the beginning, more on than off. I know most of the problem related to getting my muscles back to where they were prior to surgery but there was an undeniable feeling of mental breakdown that accompanied these "yips". I remember feeling so clueless as to correct form, balance, follow through, etc. Frustrating would be an understatement.

The thing that snapped me out of it was practice and patience. I practiced like i used to when I was playing tournaments all the time (hours at a time in a field with only 1 or 2 molds). How do you do it? Do it to death! Do it over and over and over again until you get the feeling back. In the end, it's all about feeing and being able to thoughtlessly reproduce that feeling with muscle memory.

Felt this way about putting im the past week. Did so good last week and hit almost every putt now this week i missed everything even 5 feet in front of me...This use to happen in bmx during competitions, try to do a "fun round" that doesn't count for score. What got me over my down time for putting and back int he groove was just playing a fun game of Putt (just like horse in basketball) and doing trick shot putts really helped me get back on track.

This may help, it's a video I shot of a local pro who is the best forehand thrower I know -- and arguably one of the best in the country.

How much time do you spend on field work, compared to rounds? Rounds always bring me closer and closer to the yips; field work recharges my anti-yips batteries.

Oh man, this happened to me. After a surgery, for about 2-3 years this would happen off and on…in the beginning, more on than off. I know most of the problem related to getting my muscles back to where they were prior to surgery but there was an undeniable feeling of mental breakdown that accompanied these "yips". I remember feeling so clueless as to correct form, balance, follow through, etc. Frustrating would be an understatement.
I certainly know where you're coming from here.
You've had 2 weeks of bad play? Meh, suck it up. In another couple of weeks you'll be perfectly fine. Imagine how frustrating it is to go more than a year without a round that you're proud of...

How much time do you spend on field work, compared to rounds? Rounds always bring me closer and closer to the yips; field work recharges my anti-yips batteries.

Not going to lie, I haven't been getting in nearly as much field work as usual... The weather getting worse I'm trying to soak in as many rounds as I can while it's still 50+ In Ohio

Breaking it down:

To overcome the "Yips" you must become SPECIaL

Review of the meaning of "Yips" suggests that there is decline or complete loss of confidence. To regain that confidence it must be understood what is effected by the "Yips".

Looking at the definitions of what is effected by "Yips" we can come to the conclusion that several aspects of the thrower are effected by the "Yips".

Confidence = a feeling of self-assurance arising from one's appreciation of one's own abilities or qualities.

Skill = the ability to do something well; expertise.

Expertise = expert skill or knowledge in a particular field.

Particular = a detail.

Increase = an instance of growing or making greater.

Longevity = long existence or service.

Building it back:

Using Skills in a Particular instance of the round based on the individuals Expertise will produce Confidence which in turn Increases higher levels all the these aspects and ultimately creating Longevity for the thrower.

In short Skill, Particularity,Expertise,Confidence,Increasing and Longevity (SPECIaL)

I wish you all the best in overcoming this slump. I have felt like I have been in a slump for at least 5 years! Crazy. Fleeting confidence, missing 5 footers, complete hand/wrist/arm paralysis on the tee and the putting green.

I can't figure it out. It has made me take short breaks, long breaks, no breaks. Nothing helps. I have considered dropping the game completely, or just playing rarely with a couple discs.

I have had dreams for years of playing full time, but age has crippled me and my confidence. I used to want to get out and play tourneys all the time, now I am scared of my own shadow.

Don't let this happen. Be strong, keep working at it. Don't be like me. I may make a new handle, 'Lost Cause!'

It's just a game, after all.

I have had this happen with the putter specifically. 1 week confident from 30 and in, and making some even further out. Next week, I am airballing 20 footers and nervous as hell on 10' ers. Its frustrating. I agree that some time off may help, but for me just powering through did the trick. Eventually, you make a couple and remember, "oh yeah, that is how that works".

You could also watch Tin Cup. Romeo has some nice tricks.

Good luck!

Still learning little quirks to help overall game, consistency, etc, but I've found it pays off to "randomize" your game once in awhile.

1) Play a 1 disc round, pick a random disc from your bag on each hole and play out the hole with just that disc.
2) Play a shorter course and FORCE yourself to get 3's on every hole. No birds, etc.
3) Play a round with your less dominant hand.
4) Play a round with no x-steps, just standstills only.
5) Take some time off, walk a course, don't play it. This can really make you want to get back out there and play.

etc, etc, etc, in other words just get do something that's totally different. This will rejuvenate your creative juices on the course, perhaps inject some silliness, etc. Anything to take the repetitive nature of field work away, that can cause temporary burn out which I think can lead to symptoms like you're describing.