• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Confused by my practice results

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am losing my mind here, and I'm seeking input!

The disc in question:
Discraft Heat 173g Big-Z 9/6/-3/1 Discraft Stability 0.0
I have played with this disc since last spring.

Last summer, I averaged 280 feet or so with it on a hyzerflip turnover. It always flipped nicely and usually turned over to finish.

Last week, it was 33 degrees out and I threw the same heat just as always but was getting 310-340 feet on the turnover hyzerflip over and over back and forth with a slight breeze both headwind and tailwind. This added distance made sense because I know my form has improved since last summer.

Today it was 50 degrees out and windless.
The heat hyzerflipped as normal, but never once turned over, instead fading to the left to finish. Thrown flat, the heat took a huge S-curve, again fading at the end.
The hyzerflip and the s-shots repeatedly ranged between 320 and 330 feet and never once turned over.

That's what I'm not understanding. If anything, I thought the colder weather last week would make the disc more overstable, so if the disc was going to fade out of the flip, last week would have made sense, but today was significantly warmer.Was today some weird anomaly where I was getting better than normal arm speed with less than normal snap? I'm really confused! Why was I able to get as good as my best distance with this disc and yet not put enough on it to make it turn over?

This happens to me on days when I am throwing super clean. I get the same (or even better) distances compared to normal, but with much less turn. Alternatively, you might have been inadvertently releasing with more hyzer than normal and not realized it.

Without seeing 'both' throwing days, PERHAPS it was simply a case of the second day you were "just slightly nose up" (without knowing it).
Remember, 2 points (days) only gives you a straight line ;)
To make a curve you need at least 1 more day! (Read: go out AGAIN and see what you do / add it to the 'results').

I found that my increase in distance came from more body and less arm and I didn't even know at the time what was happening... enjoy it.

Same as aphilso1, this happens to me when I'm throwing extra clean. Maybe with the warmer weather, your body was a big more flexible and better using the little muscles.

Same as aphilso1, this happens to me when I'm throwing extra clean. Maybe with the warmer weather, your body was a big more flexible and better using the little muscles.

In the back of my mind, I was thinking something like this, but I was hoping to hear it from others because sometimes when one sees improved results, the cause is misidentified and some wrong (bad perhaps) habit is focused on. I felt good throughout the throw, but the finish felt more fluid than it was feeling the past couple weeks and I'm not sure why... maybe my body (grip specifically) was tired from doing yardwork all day first. Or maybe that loosened the rest of me up.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

A slight head wind or the proper angle on a tail wind could add huge distance for some throwers. Expect alot of randomness on hyzer flip max distance throws. Release angle even a very small amount can have drastic results both negative and positive.

when most of your armspeed comes from the bodys rotation and your under arm hinge is slightly off timing so the power pocket hinge never catches up and counteracts with the bodys rotation.

i too have this problem when im off timing i can throw an otherwise -1 driver having the flight of an -3 driver. it still goes similar distance.

Latest posts