• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Copyright Issues

I won't lie - this is by far the most entertaining post in this thread.

65355109783970568086.png

MVSTIC-2.jpg

Time to shut down MVP, guys. If you don't come 100% original you just can't contribute to culture. :|

Outside of the theft, not theft argument......If the company infringed upon cares enough to attempt to stop Gateway, I would think that the infringement would be discontinued upon the initial cease and desist request. I think the idea of Gateway going under seems a bit extreme. Not defending the infringement........................[theft]

Wouldn't DD Dyemax discs be exempt from the "stolen intellectual property" argument considering that they market a service at a flat fee? They market a blank disc that they can add a logo to. Whether I purchase a disc of Superman teabagging Batman or I purchase a disc with my face on it, the charge for the product is the same. The end user submits the logo to be used and DD does not make profit directly from the advertising and marketing of the image. They are not selling the logo, per se. Where does the line get drawn? Does Warner Brothers get to go and sue all the ladies and gentlemen that received ill-advised Tweety Bird or Tazmanian Devils Tattoos in the late 80's/early 90's? What about the tattooists that did the work?

If you have ever seen me, putting my face on a disc is the bigger crime, IMHO.

If STEALING someone else's ideas, hard work, and artistic/intellectual fruits of labor is not THEFT, then what is the difference in your world between theft and stealing?

DD has implemented a policy of not printing copyrighted images without permission so the Dyemax "problem" only exists if you submit an image the team doesn't know is not an original design.

DD has implemented a policy of not printing copyrighted images without permission so the Dyemax "problem" only exists if you submit an image the team doesn't know is not an original design.

Correct, they have had that policy for a while.. I do not feel that adressess my question, however.

I'm a photographer and a graphic artist. If I release an image on the internet and someone takes this image and makes just 1 stamp with my image, without my permission, it.....is....stealing. Plain and simple.

Wouldn't DD Dyemax discs be exempt from the "stolen intellectual property" argument considering that they market a service at a flat fee? They market a blank disc that they can add a logo to. Whether I purchase a disc of Superman teabagging Batman or I purchase a disc with my face on it, the charge for the product is the same. The end user submits the logo to be used and DD does not make profit directly from the advertising and marketing of the image. They are not selling the logo, per se. Where does the line get drawn? Does Warner Brothers get to go and sue all the ladies and gentlemen that received ill-advised Tweety Bird or Tazmanian Devils Tattoos in the late 80's/early 90's? What about the tattooists that did the work?

I think it eventually comes down to scale.
DC isn't going into art classes and tacking on a fee for every kid that tries to draw Batman, but if you are reproducing their exact image for a profit then you've crossed a line. Ultimately, it would probably be how far past that line you've gone and how much perceived damage/loss they think has happened to determine if they would go after you.

I'm not certain if the court would determine that the person who is asking to stamp a bunch of Batmen on some discs is ultimately responsible for ensuring the licensing, the stamper, or both.
It probably depends on an assumption of awareness of the image. So, if you are stamping Mickey Mouse for someone, you probably should have known better vs some obscure pop culture image you maybe thought was original.

However, I'd guess in the case of Gateway that the overarching pattern of behavior of helping to facilitate the infringement on a regular basis would probably come into play, too, since they are basically encouraging the behavior within their industry (which I assume is where Zam is frustrated) If a lawyer is going to go after anyone, they are going to choose the root of the problem, especially if it probably has the most money compared to a single person.

In terms of tattoos, thats an interesting topic that I don't know the answer to, but I'm guessing that its not worth the effort since each case would be an individual legal action, plus the weirdness of what do you do with the area of the body that Taz has unfortunately been applied to? Make them burn it off? (The answer for all Tazs, Marvin the Martians, etc is always YES)

I'm a photographer and a graphic artist. If I release an image on the internet and someone takes this image and makes just 1 stamp with my image, without my permission, it.....is....stealing. Plain and simple.

I agree 100%

Am I wrong in thinking that there is a difference between putting a logo on something that the customer requests versus marketing for sale a logo that is/should be protected? I am not talking morally or philosophically, but legally.

I agree 100%

Am I wrong in thinking that there is a difference between putting a logo on something that the customer requests versus marketing for sale a logo that is/should be protected? I am not talking morally or philosophically, but legally.

The assumption would be that the logo BELONGS to the customer for their personal use/sale.
Marketing someone else's logo for your own profit is where we move into theft.

Not really, would for example RDG license universal media or whoever owns the IP of the Jeff Goldblum picture? Probably not, they would run some other artwork instead. There was never a potential for the IP holder to receive license fees.

Please note that I do not condone copyright infringement, nor do I think it's OK. I just realize that there's a difference between copyright infringement and theft, and the difference makes copyright infringement less severe of a crime than theft. I'm basically arguing semantics

If someone is stealing another person's art, which they sell for money, then yes they are actually stealing physical property.

The potential money which the artist relies on.

I agree 100%

If I understand your question correctly, they both have the same legal responsibility because the company making the disc is creating the end product. Doesn't matter where they get the digital image for the stamp from, it's their responsibility to make sure "the end result" is legal.

Bottom line, anyone making a stamped disc should require proof of license before accepting the image to be stamped on a disc. DD was not enforcing this 1-2 years ago and really didn't do anything, especially if the quantities were low, but now (according to them and hopefully they are) requiring proof of license even on a single stamped disc.

yep. ^ due diligence. can't feign ignorance.

i'll still buy'em though until they stop making them. i'll still buy them even at a markup for licensure.

As for copyright problems, I've noticed Prodigy using a lot of Massive Attack songs in between holes during the Vibram Open. I wonder if they got permission to use them.

As for copyright problems, I've noticed Prodigy using a lot of Massive Attack songs in between holes during the Vibram Open. I wonder if they got permission to use them.

As long as they are paying royalties to ASCAP/BMI they don't need expressed permission from the artist.

So, I think I'll get a disc with a picture of George Harrison on it.

If you had two Eagles with Glenn Frey and Don Henley stamps on them, would you have to pay royalties to the Eagles?

Theft of Intellectual Property is a serious issue with far reaching consequences.

Also you must be super active in your community, local government, non-profits, etc to post something like this.

Or are you a hypocrite?

No, he is Canadian

Latest posts